Keeper league schedule debate, need your help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper league schedule debate, need your help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper league schedule debate, need your help

Postby drob681 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:51 pm

I play in a 12 team H2H keepr league, and we are in the midst of a heated debate. It's over scheduling. Currently our format is that we play every team 2x in the regular season and then 6 make the playoffs. 1 and 2 get a bye, then there are 1 week matchups in the quarters and semis followed by a 2 week showdown for the championship. 4 of the managers are screaming to shorten the length of the season by 1 week b/c of all the benchings during the final week of the season. They say that the championship is watered down b/c they can't play their studs. i say it's part of the game and they need to work around it. plus it's fun to have to use a little extra strategy in order to win. There have been a few proposed differences, but the best one is this: Shorten the regular season by one week (we would no longer play every team twice) and keep the playoff format the same. I think that this will give a rediculously unfair advantage to some of the teams who get to play next years bottom feeder teams twice, and only play the top teams once. This year, 3 teams that were ranked 7,8,9 in the final week of the season made it in to the playoffs in the last week. 2 of them were playing the league's #10 and #11 team. The other was playing the currentyl ranked #6 team. The alst week drastically changed who made the playoffs...They are giving me a 'body of work' argument, but I'm just not buying it.

However, it seems like i'm the only one that feels this way...am I crazy? I am the commish of this league, do i just have to give in to the mob here?

Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do that may be different from what we've already proposed as a change?

Thanks in advance for your help,
drob681
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper league schedule debate, need your help

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:30 pm

there aren't going to be very many years where so many teams have clinched early & bench their stars so much. Its true that this year it didn't make for the best finals week, but how often will that happen? So if you shut the regular season off 1 week early half the teams would haven't made the playoffs that did? Not really fair eliminating those games for 2 teams vs the bottom squads either. Unless you redo the schedule at the All Star break trying to match up the seeded teams somehow, I really don't see cutting a week off the schedule as being a positive.And unless you have a crystal ball and know early on who is going to be good by the final month reseeding could be incorrect too.
the only thing I can think of that would be different is playing multiple matchups per week, but thats a drastic change from what you are now doing. I'd say stand pat with the setup you have
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 302)

Postby Pochucker » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:20 pm

Do not give in and shorten season. You are 1000% right about having "unbalanced schedule".
Having said that let me tell you the slight varation we use.

12t h2h
two 6 team divisions (winners and losers --6playoff teams from prev yr make up one div following yr and losers the other --keeps people interested.

each team plays other div teams once and plays own div teams three times --eliminates all tiebreaker problems that way

play offs = winners of each div get bye while 2/3rd plc teams play one wk playoff
winner plays div champ in two wk playoff followed by champs of each div for overall championship
in another two wks format

works great
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby drob681 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:53 pm

That sounds like a great idea. I'm glad that I'm not the only one that can forsee a huge statistical advantage going to the team that lucks out based on the schedule. I really like the division playoff format to keep teams that have a poor year interested.

I do have one question though...I'm not sure if this format will address the issue of playing the final week of the regular season when managers are benching players. This is really the heart of my question. In the format you suggested we would still need 26 weeks to decide a champ. The current (standard) system we use also uses the same amount of weeks. Perhaps I could modify your format by changing the divisional (semifinals) matchups from 2 weeks down to 1?

In any event, your post was very encouraging and helpful. Thanks, man. I was getting pretty frustrated with constantly checking out the post and not seeing any replies to what I think is a pretty relevant question. maybe it was just b/c of the off-season...
drob681
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby bigmck » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi -- Just reading your scheduling problem. The suggestion above would solve all concerns.
Playing teams in your own division 3 times each would be 15 weeks of games. Playing the other division once would be 6 for a total of 21 weeks of regular season. The first and second round of playoffs would take two weeks plus two more weeks for the Championship. That would be 25 weeks. It would cut a week off the season and make your schedule balanced. Everyone is happy.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 58)

Postby Pochucker » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Do not shorten schedule --its just sour grapes on the part of some players. It all evens out plus this was unusual year where there wasnt many real races at end. The two week format basically insures the best team wins. As previously stated unbalanced sched means some get screwed royally.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TRow » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:14 pm

I disagree.

Playoffs don't decide the best team. There is a large luck factor involved in any playoff system, including fantasy. If you want to decide the best team, play Roto or go by the regular season record. Most understand that playoffs do not decide the best team in the league, but they create excitement. If the playoffs cease to have much excitement because of a league-wide benching, then it should probably be changed. That is just my opinion. If something is broke, fix it or become the BCS.

Secondly and most importantly, a commissioner is not a dictator, he is just a commissioner. If the majority wants a change, then they should get it. Sticking to your guns may be admirable, but all you will do is upset people. It is their league too, in fact it is more their league than it is yours. Your job is to handle lopsided trades, inactive teams and collusion. Your opinion is just one of the many when it comes to league changes.

About the actual issue, I don't see the problem. Football does it, Basketball does it, Baseball should do it and there are plenty of leagues that do and manage to retain competitive balance. It really isn't that big of a deal guys, this year was quite ridiculous. I watch quite a bit of baseball and have for some time and this sort of thing always happens at the end of the year, but this year was much more than usual.

I say go with whatever the league decides. If most of them want the change, then it should be changed. If your league is really that competitive, then it shouldn't matter when the playoffs start.
TRow
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Commissioner's Corner