Tigers Offseason - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Tigers Offseason

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tigers Offseason

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:58 am

What should we be doing this off-season? A couple things I am thinking strongly about:

1. Absolutely do not overpay for Rodney (or Polanco) if he is offered a nice contract from another team. We don't need to overpay for a closer or lock up another over-the-hill player to a middle to long term contract. I love Polanco but I think it's time to say goodbye.

2. Do not resign Everett or Laird. Get rid of Thames (I was an advocate until this year). Give the starting catcher spot to Avila and see what he does with it.

3. LET RAMON SANTIAGO START SOMEWHERE. WHETHER IT'S SECOND OR SHORT I DON'T CARE BUT HE DESERVES IT AND COSTS NO MONEY.

4. Move Bonderman to the pen and attempt to convert him to closer. I think the Kerry Wood route is about his only legitimate option at this point.

5. Let Raburn take over in LF full-time. He was one of the best hitters in all of baseball in the second half. Despite his f-up in Minnesota he is cheap and can produce.

6. A couple FAs I'd like to see them go after: Felipe Lopez, Nick Johnson and especially Figgins but he's a pipe dream. Sign Chad Cordero to a short-term, incentive laden deal.

My unrealistic, stupid fantasy type move I want us to make: Figure out a way to get Carl Crawford from Tampa Bay. He would be our starting LF. Provided we don't trade Raburn, we would move him to RF and DH Magglio full-time, using Guillen as a four game a week player rotating between 3rd, RF and DH....maybe even 1st to give M-Cab a day off every once in a while.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Re: Tigers Offseason

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:48 pm

agree with most of what your saying...i dont have an issue keeping Laird though...he's not much of a hitter but he can do the fundamentals well (i.e. bunt) but he is a hell of a defensive catcher and calls a good game.
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:52 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:What should we be doing this off-season? A couple things I am thinking strongly about:

1. Absolutely do not overpay for Rodney (or Polanco) if he is offered a nice contract from another team. We don't need to overpay for a closer or lock up another over-the-hill player to a middle to long term contract. I love Polanco but I think it's time to say goodbye.

2. Do not resign Everett or Laird. Get rid of Thames (I was an advocate until this year). Give the starting catcher spot to Avila and see what he does with it.

3. LET RAMON SANTIAGO START SOMEWHERE. WHETHER IT'S SECOND OR SHORT I DON'T CARE BUT HE DESERVES IT AND COSTS NO MONEY.

4. Move Bonderman to the pen and attempt to convert him to closer. I think the Kerry Wood route is about his only legitimate option at this point.

5. Let Raburn take over in LF full-time. He was one of the best hitters in all of baseball in the second half. Despite his f-up in Minnesota he is cheap and can produce.

6. A couple FAs I'd like to see them go after: Felipe Lopez, Nick Johnson and especially Figgins but he's a pipe dream. Sign Chad Cordero to a short-term, incentive laden deal.

My unrealistic, stupid fantasy type move I want us to make: Figure out a way to get Carl Crawford from Tampa Bay. He would be our starting LF. Provided we don't trade Raburn, we would move him to RF and DH Magglio full-time, using Guillen as a four game a week player rotating between 3rd, RF and DH....maybe even 1st to give M-Cab a day off every once in a while.

You were on an impressive roll there until you started wanting the Tigers to do something constructive for this season.
They dumped Rodney-for 6mil a year over two years? I would have paid him that money.
Polanco. I would have kept him simply because what they do hit to him, he turns into outs. The Tigers have done an about face (Thanks Maggs, Dave Dumbrowski, and the Tigers scouting and player development crew for not being able to draft position players nor develop what they have into competent players.)The Tigers stayed in contention last season because they committed themselves to playing better D. Now we are going to count on Rayburn in the OF? Makes Thames look like a gold glover, the statueque Maggs and Who on CF.
It is another big mess that DD is making by abandoning the D for sake of turning the Tigers into a cheap ball club. The Tigers talking heads, Mario Impemba and Rod Allen, along with their radio bretheren spout off about the Tigers trying to follow the Twins model for being competitive with low payrolls, but totally ignore the fact that the Twins players are HOF fielders compared to the garbage we have in our system. This is because from draft day to call up day, they pick and develop players who are responsible defensively.
Not unlike, Dombrowski, I have no idea what the Tigers see in most of the players they draft.
Sorry 'bout the rant. Just dreading the upcoming season as what should be a very solid starting pitching staff will have starts wasted by the joke of a team that will be standing behind them.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27 pm

moochman wrote:Sorry 'bout the rant. Just dreading the upcoming season as what should be a very solid starting pitching staff will have starts wasted by the joke of a team that will be standing behind them.

I'm just glad people have responded to the post. :-b
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Return to Detroit Tigers