Rugby Union Returns To The Olympics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Rugby Union Returns To The Olympics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rugby Union Returns To The Olympics

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:55 am

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/6193170/golf-rugby-admitted-olympics

The International Olympic Committee voted on Friday to include both sports on the program for the 2016 and 2020 summer Games.

Each received majority support in separate votes by the IOC after leading athletes and officials from both gave presentations to press their case - including a video-taped message from Tiger Woods.

Golf was approved 63-27 with two abstentions. Sevens Rugby was voted in 81-8 with one abstention.

Rugby will organise a four-day tournament for 12 men's and women's teams.

Golf will stage a 72-hole strokeplay tournament for men and women, with 60 players in each field.

Sevens rugby is kinda a bastardized version of the real thing, but it's still cool that's it is in.

I'd like to give a big FAIL to Around The Horn, who talked about it being in, then showed footage of rugby LEAGUE. :-t
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rugby Union Returns To The Olympics

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:10 pm

Ah, but not for 2012. Twickenham would have been ideal for it naturally.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:40 pm

Rugby and Golf...what's next? Cricket? :-P

:-D
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:50 pm

kimchi_chigae wrote:Rugby and Golf...what's next? Cricket? :-P

Before long they'll be hosting the Olympics in third wor... oh wait. :-X

;-)
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chris8 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:30 pm

I'm still trying to get over the fact that baseball got dumped. I was so psyched when London won the 2012 vote, only for baseball to get kicked out the next day. A great opportunity to broaden the sport's appeal in the UK - thrown away :-t
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:23 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
kimchi_chigae wrote:Rugby and Golf...what's next? Cricket? :-P

Before long they'll be hosting the Olympics in third wor... oh wait. :-X

;-)

Har de har har, Birthday Boy.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:57 pm

chris8 wrote:I'm still trying to get over the fact that baseball got dumped. I was so psyched when London won the 2012 vote, only for baseball to get kicked out the next day. A great opportunity to broaden the sport's appeal in the UK - thrown away :-t

why? nobody gave a crap about US baseball in olympics. they can't send over any decent players due to the MLB season and they get schooled by powerhouses like cuba/japan/korea. it was somewhat of an ultimatum that US send over better players and they didn't. US showed they could care less. it's no big deal though because frankly nobody really cared about US olympic team.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:05 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:
chris8 wrote:I'm still trying to get over the fact that baseball got dumped. I was so psyched when London won the 2012 vote, only for baseball to get kicked out the next day. A great opportunity to broaden the sport's appeal in the UK - thrown away :-t

why? nobody gave a crap about US baseball in olympics. they can't send over any decent players due to the MLB season and they get schooled by powerhouses like cuba/japan/korea. it was somewhat of an ultimatum that US send over better players and they didn't. US showed they could care less. it's no big deal though because frankly nobody really cared about US olympic team.

Personally, I'm glad that the MLB don't suspend the season for the Olympics. Adding extra mileage on the players, literally and figuratively, isn't good and frankly, I don't care if it's for the sake of representing their countries (I have a massive club over country bias, FWIW).

I don't think Chris is griping about baseball getting ousted from the Olympics because of the possible cause of the apathy of MLB with regards to the Olympics. It's just that because in the UK, it's so difficult to keep up with baseball when the bulk of evening games here are in the wee hours of the morning there. I can attest to the time difference being a killer when I was catching up with Laker games on the other side of the pond. X-I

From what I see, there are folks in the UK who want to like baseball and I'd say of the Big 4 US sports, it's the one sport where I'd reckon most would be interested in. I've stayed up at 1am to watch Dodger games on Sky Sports and the cool thing is on the pregame shows, they have a commentator or two who would give a good layman's rundown on things like rivalries, player tendencies, etc. I know for a fact that when I was getting into rugby and cricket here in the States, I wish that the cable network coverage was a bit friendlier to those who are getting a feel for the game, especially cricket, even though those channels are targeted for expatriates. Anyhow, baseball in the Olympics on British soil simply would have opened the game to a more wide scale consciousness there, at least while everyone's wide awake. :-b

You know, a few years back, I had to be pretty ecstatic when I saw a couple of Dodger shirts/caps in a JJB store in a rather boring part of Essex. However, it's an island in an ocean of Yankees merchandise. That's still a sign the game is catching on over there. :-b ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Ah, but not for 2012. Twickenham would have been ideal for it naturally.

Ideal until the home team plays and sends everyone to sleep. *rimshot* ;-7
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Return to General Talk