Question about who to draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Question about who to draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Question about who to draft

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:00 am

Currently, I have the number 4 draft pick for my league. A-Rod, Pujols, and Prior are going to be gone. I want a pitcher, and am split between Schilling and Pedro, which of the two would be a better pick?

Also, I have a late second round pick, and I was thinking of picking Mark Teixera or Aubry Huff, if guys like Nomar, Bonds, Manny, Sheff etc. are taken. Anybody think that either of these two are worth it as second round pics, and which of the two would be better?

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:08 am

First off...in a traditional league..that is way to early for Schilling or Pedro.....so unless you have a different scoring system...look for Soriano, Vlad or Helton with the 4th pick.... :-)

Second....with out knowing how many teams are in your league....the second round is early for either Huff of Tex... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:08 am

Pedro is better but neither are worth it, Huff and Teix aren't second around picks either.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheRock » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:21 am

Take a look at some of the mock drafts in the other forums, see the cheat sheet link to the upper left, and go out to ESPN to see where players are being taken in most drafts.

http://games.espn.go.com/cgi/flb/request.dll?LIVEDRAFTRESULTS&Param0=0&Param1=1&Param2=7
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby bleach168 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:35 am

Pedro is the better of the two.

Nothing wrong with taking Pedro with the 4th pick if you're certain he won't be available in the 2nd round and your strategy/gut really demands you take a pitcher in the first round.

It's a move I wouldn't criticize.

However, drafting Huff or Teixeira in the 2nd round is not smart. Those guys are typically 5-7th round picks and should be available to grab in rounds 4 and 5 if you really want them.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby motionman04 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:45 am

Very helpful information, good point with Teixera and Huff, I guess I was a little too high on both of them. As far as the first pick though, would a hitter be best to select first?

I'm just debating, because its not guaranteed that the guy ahead of me will pick Mark Prior, and I was thinking that if Prior is not picked come my pick, I would take him.
motionman04
College Coach
College Coach

Postby colour wolf » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:08 am

Different people have different ideas, but I never take a pitcher in the first round. Go for Soriano, Beltran, or Vlad.

Good luck!
colour wolf
College Coach
College Coach

Postby motionman04 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:33 am

Question about Sori, is he really that good of a draft pick? (haven't played fantasy ball in a couple years) The K's and errors worry me.
motionman04
College Coach
College Coach

Postby swarmee » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:48 am

motionman04 wrote:Question about Sori, is he really that good of a draft pick? (haven't played fantasy ball in a couple years) The K's and errors worry me.

In standard roto leagues (4x4, 5x5), Soriano is just as valuable as Pujols, since his steals and homers are great. In deeper scoring leagues that count Ks and Es, he drops to the second or third round.
Basically, the only things that should matter to someone drafting Soriano is what their league structure counts. If you play with only BA, HR, RBI, SB, and R, why worry about how many strikeouts or errors he'll get? He'll definitely be in the lineup this year.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby motionman04 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:04 am

Our league is a head-to-head scoring system, in which you lose points for K's and Errors. Would that push him to the 2nd or third round?
motionman04
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers