Tiebreaker for a ROTO league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Tiebreaker for a ROTO league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tiebreaker for a ROTO league

Postby princethomas » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:37 pm

I have two teams who have ended in a tie in a 10 team Roto league. It may be broken by tomorrow's twins/tigers game.

If not. Do you guys have any suggestions of how to break a tie. Some sort of playoff competition would be most fun I think.

Thanks,
-Tom
princethomas
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tiebreaker for a ROTO league

Postby bigmck » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:20 pm

princethomas wrote:I have two teams who have ended in a tie in a 10 team Roto league. It may be broken by tomorrow's twins/tigers game.

If not. Do you guys have any suggestions of how to break a tie. Some sort of playoff competition would be most fun I think.

Thanks,
-Tom

It appears you do not use the one game tiebreaker in your standings. We always have since it is regular season stats. If you are keeping stats for the whole league for the one game, then you can use the tiebreaker according to the Waggoner Official Roto Book. If the whole league is not getting stats, you can't use it. If the whole league is not getting stats then use the tiebreaker as of the end of Sunday. Rank the tied teams for each catagory and give them points. In a three team tie, you would assign 3, 2 1 for each catagory. Add the points up and you have a winner. If there is still a tie, take the tied teams and add at bats to triple innings pitched and the higher total is the winner. Not sure where they came up with the at bats and innings, but that is the official formula.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:45 am

i've always just played a tie is a tie in roto (i.e. if you pay out 1st - 3rd and there is a tie for 1st between 2 teams, split the 1st and 2nd place money equally between those teams and play the 2nd place team 3rd place money)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:16 pm

I agree above with the tie strategy for handling this situation. I have a roto keeper league that's been going for about 9 years now (maybe 10, not sure), and we've actually split the title twice. The two guys were simply co-champs and split the 1st and 2nd place money, with 3rd getting the share he normally would have won. I suppose you could set a tie-breaker category if you really wanted to have a "clear" champion, but do you really want someone to win the league because their pitching was a bit better and they lead ERA but their hitting is miserable, or vice versus?
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Commissioner's Corner