Will play in game stats count in Yahoo roto leagues? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will play in game stats count in Yahoo roto leagues?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Will play in game stats count in Yahoo roto leagues?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:57 pm

it's only a huge deal if the extra game costs you a victory. :-D
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Rance Mulliniks wrote:
Madison wrote:
Someone needs to tie or break one of the big records (like the single season home run record) so that MLB will fix this issue (hopefully not by just sticking a * next to it).

I don't think it's a huge deal.

First off, is the number of games played really that determinative for individual statistics? Baseball doesn't normalize across number of innings played or number of plate appearances, so I'm not sure why games played is that key. What if someone broke a single-season record, but their team had played in dozens of extra-inning games that year? Or if a record is broken in hundreds of extra plate appearances? Plus, how many players play all 162 games in a season? This year, no Tiger OR Twin will play in 163 games (as none had played in every game up to this point).

Also, there are a few of reasons that a player could play more than 162 games. Earlier in the 20th century, if a game was tied after 5 innings and was called (due to rain, darkness, etc.), the two teams would make up an entirely new (extra) game, and the stats from both games would count. Pete Rose, for instance, played 163 games twice (for the 74 Reds and 79 Phillies). The 1989 Pirates had stats that counted from 164 games. Plus, there's a possibility that a player is traded mid-season and due to the schedule plays a game or two over 162. Should their stats count?

It is true that when MLB moved from a 154 to a 162 game schedule, they began adding asterisks to records broken in more than 154 games (like when Maury Wills broke Ty Cobb's stolen base record or Maris broke Ruth's HR record), but in this kind of case, I wouldn't think an asterisk is needed if a record is broken in a 163rd (or more) regular season game.

Good post. ;-D

But, if someone tied or broke the single season home run record (as an example) in this game, the outcry would show you just how huge it really is.

For me personally, it just makes no sense to limit some players to 162 games on a set schedule, but then allow other players to get an additional day of rest and an additional game. I just don't see that as right or fair, and it needs to be right and fair since historic records are kept, contracts are based on their peers' performance, etc. One game isn't much in a 162 game season, but even with that, one team will make the playoffs and one won't, so it shows just how big one game can really be.

BitterDodgerFan wrote:it's only a huge deal if the extra game costs you a victory. :-D

I stunk it up this year, so it makes no difference in fantasy leagues for me. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:50 pm

If MCab managed 38 HR today, I'd've said he earned it.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers