Hoarding: A Question of Ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:44 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Some people are "do what it takes to win" people (me), and other people aren't (wussies). ;-7

You have a lot in common with Barry Bonds. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:47 pm

Madison wrote:
flloyd wrote:
Madison wrote:Interesting. I wonder what the difference maker was since I know for fact my leagues didn't count that game, and you say yours did. We had a message on the league's home page that the game would count, so a bunch of people picked up players, and then the announcement got changed to say it wasn't going to count later the same evening (day before the game). Resulted in tons of people throwing fits because it wasn't a playoff game or anything, it was a regular season game that was being made up, so it should have counted, but didn't. So I wonder why it counted in some leagues but not in others. :-?

All I can think is that you Commish changed the setting in your league (maybe it would have negatively affected him?). In fact here's the message that our league now gets (Note that this is from CBS and not out Commish):

"Tiebreak Game - The Twins and Tigers will be playing a game on Tuesday October 6th to decide who will go to the MLB playoffs. This game will count in our leagues as a regular season game for all scoring types.
Daily leagues will be able to set a lineup for this game, while Weekly leagues will use the same lineup from the final scoring period."

Fortunately our league's top four are so separated that it doesn't matter if it counts or not so no one cares.

No clue, but I can now verify CBS isn't consistant with their rulings. From one of the other threads talking about it:

Dan Lambskin wrote:leave it to CBS to be inconsistent

Dan Lambskins CBS Public Platinum 5x5 League wrote:Tiebreak Game
The Twins and Tigers will be playing a game on Tuesday October 6th to decide who will go to the MLB playoffs. This game will not count in our leagues, as a play in game is not part of the regular season defined by our rules.
"The MLB season runs 26 weeks from 4/5/2009 through 10/4/2009. In the event that there are any regular season tie-breaker playoff games, the statistics accumulated in such games will NOT be counted towards your overall score."

Dan Lambskins CBS private 5x5 League wrote:Tiebreak Game
The Twins and Tigers will be playing a game on Tuesday October 6th to decide who will go to the MLB playoffs. This game will count in our leagues as a regular season game for all scoring types.
Daily leagues will be able to set a lineup for this game, while Weekly leagues will use the same lineup from the final scoring period.

i'm fine with it since i've already won the 1st league and am guaranteed money in the 2nd, although it could drop me from a tie for 2nd to 3rd (although 1st is still a slim posibility)

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=397676&start=10

So it seems it could or it couldn't. Ick. :-*

just realized i messed up my initial post...one was public, one private
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby swyck » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:54 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
swyck wrote:No. I think its been established that it's cheating, at least in Yahoo leagues.

What rule does it break, and why I am not blocked from doing it?

In Yahoo under fair play and sportsmanship:
No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners

As to why you're not stopped from doing it, I'm not sure how easy it would be to program against it. IMO the rule is clear, though I doubt many take the time to read them, what with all those words and stuff.

Some people are "do what it takes to win" people (me), and other people aren't (wussies). ;-7

And some people (me) are "win without having to go outside the rules" people. :-D ;-D
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby rb11 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:09 pm

AussieDodger wrote:
swyck wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:Bogarting all the SPs so that your opponent can't use them = intelligent.

No. I think its been established that it's cheating, at least in Yahoo leagues.
Chivalry is dead, my friend. ;-D

No, it isn't. Don't try to justify your actions with "everybody does it" because that wouldn't be true.

What the? :-S

swyck wrote:No. I think its been established that it's cheating, at least in Yahoo leagues.

What rule does it break, and why I am not blocked from doing it?

swyck wrote:Don't try to justify your actions with "everybody does it"

I never said that.
Some people are "do what it takes to win" people (me), and other people aren't (wussies). ;-7

Are you illiterate/blind/ or just talk without knowing what your speaking about?

The rule it's breaking was pasted in big BOLD letters in this exact conversation.
rb11
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby baseball77 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:45 pm

Seems like Yahoo is the only one with a rule about it. Most of my leagues are not with Yahoo and none of them will be next year, so if it comes down to it next year, I'm hoarding away. :-)
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers