Hoarding: A Question of Ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby flloyd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:41 pm

In CBS at least the tie-breaker is a regular season game (the 163rd) and not a playoff game. Therefore the stats count. This is how they handled the COL/SDG game in 2007 at least.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:48 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:WOW that is an insane gain of points and extremely lucky what he came out with.

btw, who were these pitchers that he picked up? i mean none of them were really decent or else they wouldn't be in the FA pool in such a league right?

Yesterday he started... Randy Wells, Nick Blackburn, Kyle Lohse, Ross Detwiler, Wade Leblanc, Anibal Sanchez, Andy Pettitte, Freddy Garcia, Mark Hendrickson, and Andrew Bailey...
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24817
(Past Year: 353)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby West » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:28 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:yea, it is sorta in the rules:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseba ... AeHPS9jyN4

Fair Play and Sportsmanship

Even though fantasy games are meant to be a competitive experience for all involved, it is important to us that our users not lose sight of the rules of fair play and good sportsmanship.

To this end, each fantasy team owner agrees that, by joining the game, they will abide by the following regulations:

1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.
3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

not a clear cut no hoarding rule, but pretty much so.



I don't really agree with these rules. Just consider a scenario: About 3 weeks ago, the second place guy in one of my leagues had Lidge, and I made a speculative pick-up of Madson a few days before Lidge lost his job. I already had 5 closers and had no intention of really using Madson unless he was playing on a day that my other closers didn't have a game. I merely picked him up to take the saves away from the competition, as we were in a tight battle for saves, and the second place manager, owning Lidge, would be the most likely person to add Madson. So I was making a roster move specifically to take potential stats away from the second place manager, with no real intention of using Madson, unless one of my closers lost his job or there was an open spot for some reason. Should that be against the rules? I don't think so, but maybe some people feel different.

It's just my opinion, but I feel like unless managers are acting collusive or dumping, people should be able to make whatever free agent and waiver claims they want. A more blatant example of unfair play would be to add and then drop all the Oct. 4 probable starters one at a time so they are all on waivers the last day of the season and no one can load up on them to max out on their innings cap. I don't agree with this one, which I think is one of the reasons some league put a cap on moves that you can make.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1518
(Past Year: 89)
Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:26 am

flloyd wrote:In CBS at least the tie-breaker is a regular season game (the 163rd) and not a playoff game. Therefore the stats count. This is how they handled the COL/SDG game in 2007 at least.


Are you meaning for H2H leagues? Because I know in roto at CBS, that extra game in '07 didn't count for anything, even though technically it should have counted since it was a regular season game and not an "extra" game or anything.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby flloyd » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:00 am

Madison wrote:
flloyd wrote:In CBS at least the tie-breaker is a regular season game (the 163rd) and not a playoff game. Therefore the stats count. This is how they handled the COL/SDG game in 2007 at least.


Are you meaning for H2H leagues? Because I know in roto at CBS, that extra game in '07 didn't count for anything, even though technically it should have counted since it was a regular season game and not an "extra" game or anything.


Nope, Roto league. And our CBS league definitely counted those stats, it caused a big ruckus in our league. The stats were counted because that is what CBS defaulted to.
flloyd
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 4 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:29 am

I had a similar ethical dilemma. Fattykid and I were in the finals of our H2H keeper league (he beat The Loveable Losers a few weeks back to get the privilege of facing me), and the only chance he had at victory was picking up a bunch of spot starters in an attempt to gets wins and WHIP (as all of his actual starters' seasons were over). I thought about just picking up all the good spot starters from Saturday-Sunday to block him, but I concluded that it was in poor taste. In the end it didn't matter because the best spot starters available didn't give him enough of a WHIP boost, but it was pretty close.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:39 am

A moral victory is not the same as an actual victory. :-?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11362
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby mweir145 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:43 am

AussieDodger wrote:A moral victory is not the same as an actual victory. :-?

Which is better?
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 10)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby Madison » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:50 am

flloyd wrote:
Madison wrote:
flloyd wrote:In CBS at least the tie-breaker is a regular season game (the 163rd) and not a playoff game. Therefore the stats count. This is how they handled the COL/SDG game in 2007 at least.


Are you meaning for H2H leagues? Because I know in roto at CBS, that extra game in '07 didn't count for anything, even though technically it should have counted since it was a regular season game and not an "extra" game or anything.


Nope, Roto league. And our CBS league definitely counted those stats, it caused a big ruckus in our league. The stats were counted because that is what CBS defaulted to.


Interesting. I wonder what the difference maker was since I know for fact my leagues didn't count that game, and you say yours did. We had a message on the league's home page that the game would count, so a bunch of people picked up players, and then the announcement got changed to say it wasn't going to count later the same evening (day before the game). Resulted in tons of people throwing fits because it wasn't a playoff game or anything, it was a regular season game that was being made up, so it should have counted, but didn't. So I wonder why it counted in some leagues but not in others. :-?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:53 am

mweir145 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:A moral victory is not the same as an actual victory. :-?

Which is better?


The majority of the time (like 95%), actual victory.
I don't believe there is a "moral victory" column in any sports standings.

Bogarting all the SPs so that your opponent can't use them = intelligent.

Chivalry is dead, my friend. ;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Posts: 11362
(Past Year: 24)
Joined: 22 Jan 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: What do you mean, Flash Gordon approaching?

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GRIN and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Sep. 18
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Texas at Oakland
(3:35 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Boston at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Cleveland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Philadelphia at San Diego
(9:10 pm)
Seattle at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact