Hoarding: A Question of Ethics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hoarding: A Question of Ethics

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:26 pm

yea, it is sorta in the rules:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseba ... AeHPS9jyN4

Fair Play and Sportsmanship

Even though fantasy games are meant to be a competitive experience for all involved, it is important to us that our users not lose sight of the rules of fair play and good sportsmanship.

To this end, each fantasy team owner agrees that, by joining the game, they will abide by the following regulations:

1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.
3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

not a clear cut no hoarding rule, but pretty much so.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Doughhead » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:47 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:yea, it is sorta in the rules:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/baseba ... AeHPS9jyN4

Fair Play and Sportsmanship

Even though fantasy games are meant to be a competitive experience for all involved, it is important to us that our users not lose sight of the rules of fair play and good sportsmanship.

To this end, each fantasy team owner agrees that, by joining the game, they will abide by the following regulations:

1. All league-related transactions will be executed with the intent of improving the owner's team and/or its standing within the league.
2. No owner may drop or "dump" players from their team for any reason other than improving their own team and/or its standing within the league.
3. No owner will engage in any action that may be deemed to be collusive (two or more owners agreeing to make moves that benefit one team, but not the other).
4. No owner will make any roster moves (including waiver claims, trade proposals, etc.) whose sole purpose is to hamper the play of other owners.
5. No owner will take any action whose purpose is to, in any way, interfere with fair play in a league.

not a clear cut no hoarding rule, but pretty much so.

Hard to argue with that. I dropped them all back into the FA pool. Come what may.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby swyck » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:55 pm

Yes, definitely against the rules, an off course dropping them now is a bit late since they can't be used. I say you bench all your players in atonement. No, just kidding. :-b Not a really obvious rule, so I don't think you can be faulted too much and you tried to do the right thing anyway.

Of course if it was me you were playing against I may feel differently, but hey he should have been the one to grab pitchers if he needed them. :-B
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Doughhead » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:15 pm

swyck wrote:Yes, definitely against the rules, an off course dropping them now is a bit late since they can't be used. I say you bench all your players in atonement. No, just kidding. :-b Not a really obvious rule, so I don't think you can be faulted too much and you tried to do the right thing anyway.

Of course if it was me you were playing against I may feel differently, but hey he should have been the one to grab pitchers if he needed them. :-B

No, it's ok. Since I dropped them the same day I picked them up, they don't have to go through waivers. They're all FAs again. They were inaccessible for a good chunk of the day because I had them, but they can be picked up now if the guy wants them for tomorrow.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby ayebatter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 am

bigh0rt wrote:Interesting that I actually considered this today. I woke up this morning tied for first at 111.5 pts in Behrens' Roto Arcade Pro-Am, with my innings cap having already been reached, and the team I was tied with not. He picked up a load of pitchers yesterday, and with something like 3.1 IP left on his cap, rattled off, currently, 47.1 IP, 33 Ks, etc. etc. -- he's gained 6.5 points, to my 0.0 right now. The thought crossed my mind yesterday about picking up all the guys, going for the block, I guess you could put it. But I decided it was against the spirit of the game, and to see if he would do what he then proceeded to go do. If I get 2nd because of it, so be it.

h0rt, you should have made the block, if just to save the other guy from himself. ;-)

FAAB is the only way to go in an experts league, and I prefer it in all leagues.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:50 am

speaking of hoarding, anyone hoarding the tigers/twins players for a possible 1 game playoff or does that not count for stats in yahoo?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ayebatter » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:58 am

ayebatter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Interesting that I actually considered this today. I woke up this morning tied for first at 111.5 pts in Behrens' Roto Arcade Pro-Am, with my innings cap having already been reached, and the team I was tied with not. He picked up a load of pitchers yesterday, and with something like 3.1 IP left on his cap, rattled off, currently, 47.1 IP, 33 Ks, etc. etc. -- he's gained 6.5 points, to my 0.0 right now. The thought crossed my mind yesterday about picking up all the guys, going for the block, I guess you could put it. But I decided it was against the spirit of the game, and to see if he would do what he then proceeded to go do. If I get 2nd because of it, so be it.

h0rt, you should have made the block, if just to save the other guy from himself. ;-)

FAAB is the only way to go in an experts league, and I prefer it in all leagues.

Come to think of it, if you had made the block, we could have changed the title to 'h0rting'. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:18 pm

ayebatter wrote:
ayebatter wrote:

Come to think of it, if you had made the block, we could have changed the title to 'h0rting'. ;-D

He gained 10.5 pts on 56.2 IP. Here's the real trip, though. It was to the tune of a 1.91 ERA and 1.02 WHIP 8-o 5 Wins and 43 K. Still, 10.5 pts on the second to last day in a 16 team league is astronomical. Maybe I should have gone for the block, but I determined it was in poor taste... yesterday we were tied at 111.5 pts, now he's got 122 and I've got 110, 3rd has 109.5. Now I need to just hold on for 2nd, for the second straight year... better luck next year. :-/
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:36 pm

WOW that is an insane gain of points and extremely lucky what he came out with.

btw, who were these pitchers that he picked up? i mean none of them were really decent or else they wouldn't be in the FA pool in such a league right?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby swyck » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:53 pm

BitterDodgerFan wrote:speaking of hoarding, anyone hoarding the tigers/twins players for a possible 1 game playoff or does that not count for stats in yahoo?

Additionally, the fantasy playoffs do not include any real-life professional baseball playoff contests. All fantasy playoffs will conclude by the end of the real regular season

I had to go look since it could affect a close playoff series. Season is done today.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers