Video Game Has Interesting Consequences - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Video Game Has Interesting Consequences

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Video Game Has Interesting Consequences

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:20 pm

Madison wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I guess I did. What's the point then?

That just because an entity has a means of destroying another entity and a motive for doing so, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do.

I guess I didn't miss the point afterall. I mean, I realized that they were trying to raise that question in the part I quoted earlier, it just seems like a silly medium to use if you're trying to get people to think critically about right and wrong, life and death, or any other "deep" philosophical questions. Nobody who plays this game is going to take one second to consider their actions or whether they should shoot aliens just because they have a gun and the aliens are there. All they will be thinking about is whether or not it's fun to blast fake aliens on this game.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:03 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:

That just because an entity has a means of destroying another entity and a motive for doing so, that doesn't necessarily mean it is the right thing to do.

I guess I didn't miss the point afterall. I mean, I realized that they were trying to raise that question in the part I quoted earlier, it just seems like a silly medium to use if you're trying to get people to think critically about right and wrong, life and death, or any other "deep" philosophical questions. Nobody who plays this game is going to take one second to consider their actions or whether they should shoot aliens just because they have a gun and the aliens are there. All they will be thinking about is whether or not it's fun to blast fake aliens on this game.

I think you couldn't be more wrong!

arvernus slaughtered 4912 alien(s)
BlueHawk slaughtered 4711 alien(s)
roto slaughtered 2700 alien(s)
marcan slaughtered 2699 alien(s)
CaitSith2 slaughtered 2698 alien(s)
Sharona slaughtered 1000 alien(s)

hmm...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:47 am

JTWood wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:

hmm...

am i the only nerd that recognized Cait Sith is a Final Fantasy character
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:37 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I guess I didn't miss the point afterall. I mean, I realized that they were trying to raise that question in the part I quoted earlier, it just seems like a silly medium to use if you're trying to get people to think critically about right and wrong, life and death, or any other "deep" philosophical questions. Nobody who plays this game is going to take one second to consider their actions or whether they should shoot aliens just because they have a gun and the aliens are there. All they will be thinking about is whether or not it's fun to blast fake aliens on this game.

hmm...

Yes.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:I guess I didn't miss the point afterall. I mean, I realized that they were trying to raise that question in the part I quoted earlier, it just seems like a silly medium to use if you're trying to get people to think critically about right and wrong, life and death, or any other "deep" philosophical questions. Nobody who plays this game is going to take one second to consider their actions or whether they should shoot aliens just because they have a gun and the aliens are there. All they will be thinking about is whether or not it's fun to blast fake aliens on this game.

hmm...

yes
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby acsguitar » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
JTWood wrote:

hmm...

yes
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:33 pm

knapplc wrote:If you own a Mac all this backup crap is already done for you. :^

Vista Ultimate does it for PC's, but my suggestion was to back it up to an "external" drive. :-D Not sure backing the computer up on the same drive as the main drive would do the trick in this situation.

Ghost image isn't a bad idea either. Hey ACS, what's the difference in a ghost image and a virtual machine? Anything, or are the two things the same?

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:

I dunno, but who knows how some people think. Someone out there might "get it" though, so I won't look down on the creators for trying this avenue. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
JTWood wrote:

hmm...

no
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:am i the only nerd that recognized Cait Sith is a Final Fantasy character

I thought the Sith were in Star Wars or something. :-o

:*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:53 am

Madison wrote:
Ghost image isn't a bad idea either. Hey ACS, what's the difference in a ghost image and a virtual machine? Anything, or are the two things the same?

A ghost image is an EXACT Imprint of your harddrive. Meaning you can take that "Image" and put it on any harddrive and it will boot up exactly like your old computer. So lets say you make a ghost image of your machine and take that .gho file (the image) and move it to a backup drive then light your computer on fire. You can take that .gho and put it on a new harddrive and you will notice no difference. It's not JUST your music/files it's EXACTLY what your harddrive was before.

A virtual machine is basically an Operating system within an operating system. For example you can load windows within windows. So if you have Vista and use VMware or Virtual PC you can create a virtual PC by designating space and installing Windows XP or whatever you want. It uses the same memory and hardware although it's slower and not really for gaming.

Hope that made sense
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk