Yahoo undroppable players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo undroppable players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo undroppable players

Postby AdvRider » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:15 am

Yahoo needs to SERIOUSLY rethink its undroppable player set-up for roto at season’s end.

I have Lincecum Halladay and Carpenter. Each is undroppable. At this point in the season I don’t need any of them.

I DO need Rs and RBIs. I would drop one or two of my stud pitchers to plug a gap in my batting lineup on Monday and/or Thursday in the final week. But they’re locked up and basically dead wood. :-{

Suppose they were droppable. Each has one start left. So someone picks one up and gets at best 1 W and 10 Ks. How likely is that to unfairly alter the final standings? Not.

Same thing with batters. There are managers out there who in the last week or two can no longer benefit from the services of an undroppable Pujols or Braun or Howard but who are desperate for Ks or Ws or SVs or whatever.

While I’m at it – Yahoo should also rethink droppable players over the course of the season. How many interminable weeks were Soriano and Peavy undroppable?

If a guy sucks for two months straight (Soriano) or is put on the DL for what could be two months or more (Peavy) they should be droppable.

Hopefully Genie will address this. Vent over and out. :-B
Last edited by AdvRider on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo undroppable players

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:15 pm

You can disable having undroppable players from the get-go, when the commish sets the league up.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby fezzik » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:24 pm

The feature can be disabled at the beginning of the season, but regardless...I'm all about being able to manage your own team the way you want...that being said...

I simply find it hard to believe that you have no starters worse than Lincecum, Halladay, or Carpenter to drop...and 1 win, 10 Ks, and 8IP of good ratios can be pretty huge IMO. What other pitchers do you have which you would keep over those guys?

Same with your hitters scenario...drop Pujols, Braun, or Howard? Why would you do that? You must have other players who are worse to drop if you want to try and pick up extra pitching cats.

Plus, in either scenario (hitters or pitchers) you are allowing your opponents to get a stud in the last week to bolster their stats...it's difficult to imagine a scenario where you would legitimately want to drop one of these studs you listed.

(1) The team says they are shutting someone down for the season so they'll be fresh for the playoffs (sometimes happens to SPs at the end of the season).
(2) A guy gets injured but is kept on the undroppable list (usually not a problem).

It seems like in either case a message to yahoo would get them off the list...
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby baseball77 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:29 pm

Yeah, I'm confused why you want to drop the best players instead of weaker players from your team? Regardless of the situation, Pujols should never be dropped in a league. You can't have players you would want to keep on offense over him.

Like others have said, you can disable this in the beginning. I haven't played with undroppables in a long time.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:40 pm

v
baseball77 wrote:Yeah, I'm confused why you want to drop the best players instead of weaker players from your team? Regardless of the situation, Pujols should never be dropped in a league. You can't have players you would want to keep on offense over him.

Like others have said, you can disable this in the beginning. I haven't played with undroppables in a long time.

Yeah well, the undroppables are in place for this year. I believe this is the Yahoo default . As for dropping studs --

-- it all comes down to player availability for M & Th of the last week. Lincecum Halladay and Carpenter are the only SPs I have left and I am a lock for 1st place in Ws Ks ERA & WHIP. I can't afford to drop any RPs because I'm still in a SVs battle.

What I need is to fill a couple of batter gaps in my Monday lineup, and later my Thursday lineup. The margins for Rs and RBIs and HRs are razor thin. If I can't drop an SP I have to deliberate dropping a batter not playing on Monday in favor of one who is.

Anyhow, I didn't mean to make this about my particular dilemma, but rather encourage Yahoo to rethink its rationale behind keeping players undroppable in the last week or two of a long roto season.

Or explain the rationale, because I don't see any ... 8-o
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:You can disable having undroppable players from the get-go, when the commish sets the league up.

This.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:15 am

AdvRider wrote:The margins for Rs and RBIs and HRs are razor thin.

Or explain the rationale, because I don't see any ... 8-o

You just answered your own question. In some leagues, ERA, WHIP, K's, W's, are extremely tight. Getting an advantage at the very end with one (or more) of those 3 pitchers could/would be huge as far as the final standings. Just because those 4 cats don't matter to you in your league, that doesn't mean it is that way across the board in all leagues.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AdvRider » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:01 am

This is BS.

Halladay pitches Wednesday in his final start of the season -- and he's still undroppable! Yahoo is dropping the ball and neglecting all-important end-of-season details.

It's not like someone can pick Halladay up and benefit. For Pete's sake, with the standard two-day waivers, he'd still be in the FA pool before someone could snag him.

Instead, he's dead wood on my bench and jeopardizing my chances for the title. :-t :-t
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseball77 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:08 am

Ask the commissioner to manually drop him from your team
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:21 am

i think for the last week of the season, they should let anyone be droppable even if you agreed to the "can't cut list".
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers