Yahoo Chopped Liver - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yahoo Chopped Liver

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yahoo Chopped Liver

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:09 pm

Madison wrote:Do you think Yahoo isn't responsible for the failures of their contractor? That's the only thing that would make sense to me in this case, but I don't see how you could actually believe that, so what's the deal man? :-D

I think that if it's a big enough deal to people, and that the problem has been continuous, then they should literally change providers; a discussion that the league I commish is having currently (and that we could consider for the Cafeholic Leagues next year too). Responsible or not, there are alternatives (now granted, those who decide to play on Y! should expect to have a good product, but I feel they generally do -- I'm as serious a fantasy baseball player as exists, and I've never gotten all in a tizzy about anything -- my biggest gripes are their points league support and division format that this season was essentially useless).

And, back to your original point, conversation is great regarding bugs, suggestions, etc. -- and the Cafe is typically very gracious and constructive, but unfortunately we've got the children who run around shouting words like 'always', 'garbage', 'crap', so on and so forth regarding issues that pop up minimally, and a product that, if truly was those things, wouldn't have so many people playing it when there are other providers that are just as Free. And, while there's a great many of us who appreciate the support we get here from Y! via the Genie, at no cost, something that no other provider currently offers in the slightest -- it really grinds my gears to see people take shots at him, when he is nothing outside of incredibly informative and helpful to us here.

So, that's where I'm coming from, I guess.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:45 pm

bigh0rt wrote: and the Cafe is typically very gracious and constructive, but unfortunately we've got the children who run around shouting words like 'always', 'garbage', 'crap', so on and so forth regarding issues that pop up minimally, and a product that, if truly was those things, wouldn't have so many people playing it when there are other providers that are just as Free.

THIS

bigh0rt wrote:And, while there's a great many of us who appreciate the support we get here from Y! via the Genie, at no cost, something that no other provider currently offers in the slightest -- it really grinds my gears to see people take shots at him, when he is nothing outside of incredibly informative and helpful to us here.

THIS

I don't work for Yahoo, but it is the only service I'll use.
I like it, and I get sick of people bashing it, especially when one of their minions takes time out to explain stuff to us.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby baseball77 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 pm

AussieDodger wrote:I don't work for Yahoo, but it is the only service I'll use.
I like it, and I get sick of people bashing it, especially when one of their minions takes time out to explain stuff to us.

I don't think anyone is bashing it though. People are merely voicing their gripes with the service. I see nothing wrong with this as yahoo cannot improve if it isn't aware of what needs improving. It seems as though Yahoo's competition isn't having stat problems or at least not on the scale Yahoo had them this season, so if yahoo wants to remain competitive, this is something they should look in to.
baseball77
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:39 am

bigh0rt wrote:
Madison wrote:Do you think Yahoo isn't responsible for the failures of their contractor? That's the only thing that would make sense to me in this case, but I don't see how you could actually believe that, so what's the deal man? :-D

I think that if it's a big enough deal to people, and that the problem has been continuous, then they should literally change providers; a discussion that the league I commish is having currently (and that we could consider for the Cafeholic Leagues next year too). Responsible or not, there are alternatives (now granted, those who decide to play on Y! should expect to have a good product, but I feel they generally do -- I'm as serious a fantasy baseball player as exists, and I've never gotten all in a tizzy about anything -- my biggest gripes are their points league support and division format that this season was essentially useless).

And, back to your original point, conversation is great regarding bugs, suggestions, etc. -- and the Cafe is typically very gracious and constructive, but unfortunately we've got the children who run around shouting words like 'always', 'garbage', 'crap', so on and so forth regarding issues that pop up minimally, and a product that, if truly was those things, wouldn't have so many people playing it when there are other providers that are just as Free. And, while there's a great many of us who appreciate the support we get here from Y! via the Genie, at no cost, something that no other provider currently offers in the slightest -- it really grinds my gears to see people take shots at him, when he is nothing outside of incredibly informative and helpful to us here.

Oh I agree about the whining and griping, like here as an example. :-/ And true, it does get old to see and read all the undeserved negativity in those situations. So I do understand and agree, as I have pretty much all the time when it comes to Genie and Yahoo. I've always appreciated Genie and Yahoo for being active and helping out. ;-D

What I don't get is why "any" comment riles you up so much. I mean I read this:

mblax10 wrote:And Genie stop blaming your service provider. Whether true or not, that's terrible business. We are Yahoo's customer. You are your service provider's customer. Your relationship with them should be completely transparent to us, the end user.

And while it's not the most polite comment, Genie did side-step and avoid the question (sorry Genie), so I just don't agree with the "go play somewhere else" comment you tossed out there this time around. There is a legit problem with the stats this year and people have the right to ask about it, and not surprisingly, when someone gets brushed off or sees an excuse instead of an answer (again, sorry Genie, you know I like and respect you and Yahoo), people tend to get annoyed and not as polite the second or third time around.

As of right now, I see zero attempt at a solution for this issue by Yahoo. If Genie or Yahoo mentioned shopping for a new service provider, the possibility of them doing the stats themselves, or anything else that would solve this problem, please hit me with a link because I missed it - I mean it's great Genie told us the delays were not due to football, but that doesn't exactly help with the problem or give us any insight as to a solution for the problem, does it? So if that's all we've got in order to decide if we want to use Yahoo again next year for the Cafeholic leagues, then I could certainly see why people would suggest and want to switch to a different site.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 am

bigh0rt wrote:

Well said.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby Maris09 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:28 pm

No one is endorsing being rude to the Genie. But as Madison said, there really hasn't been anything offered up as a solution here.

The answer isn't simply to go somewhere else. It's not the answer for people who like to use Yahoo, and it surely isn't the answer Yahoo is looking for.
So saying "go somewhere else" is as childish a comment as the people who are throwing around the "garbage" and "always" terms.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:57 pm

Maris09 wrote:No one is endorsing being rude to the Genie. But as Madison said, there really hasn't been anything offered up as a solution here.

The answer isn't simply to go somewhere else. It's not the answer for people who like to use Yahoo, and it surely isn't the answer Yahoo is looking for.
So saying "go somewhere else" is as childish a comment as the people who are throwing around the "garbage" and "always" terms.

Is it though? It's a real alternative, and one I've even said the league I commish is currently investigating (I used to be very against it due simply to being so comfortable with Y!, but I'm actually pretty excited to check out the alternatives, especially with the report that one of the Cafers is going to write up in the off-season). It's not like the "if you don't like my posts, don't read them" nonsense. But, for some people who bitch and moan and gripe and complain about the provider, you'd think they'd just... play on a different free provider. If it's that bad, if they're continuously "dropping the ball", or "don't care about their users at all", like we see stated countless times each season. If it's true that Y! is really the only major provider that has this many errors with reporting stats in an accurate and timely fashion, and that you or your league in general is the type where this is a major problem (both of these criteria must be met, naturally), then it makes little to no sense to continue playing there. If enough people stopped playing on Y!, then their hands may be forced to take action.

As for there being no resolution stated -- maybe there currently isn't one, or he's not at liberty to say, or just doesn't feel like it. If Y! has no intentions on changing stat providers, or Genie isn't privy to such information, I wouldn't expect him to offer such up. If this was a problem at CBS or ESPN, would we expect an answer here at the Cafe? Of course not. Just because we've gotten some answers previously that we otherwise wouldn't have gotten, does not mean we should expect something here. They've got about six months to get it figured out, when the 2010 baseball season starts, so I wouldn't expect them to have some sort of answer now. Again, if this is such a big deal to you and your league, I understand that CBS and/or ESPN don't have these problems, according to their users. Some people will make the switch, like myself, at least in some leagues. Others will be right back here in 2010 complaining about the same things they have been since 2006. It doesn't make sense to me. Y! isn't the only show in town, and they know this. It's the users who apparently don't. So back to my original question -- how long do you have to be dissatisfied with a free service before you switch to a different free service?? Hell, I'm checking out other things and I'm generally satisfied with that Y! provides, including their stats.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:21 pm

i think we need to make it clear and genie should also know that when people complain about the problems with yahoo's fantasy baseball service, we are not trying to personally attack genie. some people think we are attacking genie and then try to defend him. but basically people are making observations and pointing out things that are messed up with yahoo's fb service. i'm sure although he hates the whining, he appreciates some of the feedback, and that includes letting him know when stat providers don't come through in crucial situations. but this has nothing to do with genie, personally. many of us are thankful and appreciates him hanging around here. but that doesn't mean we won't get worked up when things go bonkers.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Maris09 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:32 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Maris09 wrote:No one is endorsing being rude to the Genie. But as Madison said, there really hasn't been anything offered up as a solution here.

Is it though? It's a real alternative,

It is.
It's also a real alternative to fix the freagin issue. If your stat provider ain't getting it done....find out who the other sites use, and use 'em.

bigh0rt wrote: It's not like the "if you don't like my posts, don't read them" nonsense. But, for some people who bitch and moan and gripe and complain about the provider, you'd think they'd just... play on a different free provider. If it's that bad, if they're continuously "dropping the ball", or "don't care about their users at all", like we see stated countless times each season. If it's true that Y! is really the only major provider that has this many errors with reporting stats in an accurate and timely fashion, and that you or your league in general is the type where this is a major problem (both of these criteria must be met, naturally), then it makes little to no sense to continue playing there.

It doesn’t have to be an either/or kind of situation.
What’s wrong with the idea of staying with Yahoo...AND having things work right?

I for one really prefer the Y! format to that of ESPN, CBS, etc…
And so while the mild annoyance isn’t enough to get me to change over, it’s also annoying enough to where I think it’s a fine idea to post the problems and hope for a resolution.
It’s also not always as easy as it sounds to just switch over. There are certain longtime leagues that simply refuse to change. I’m not going to stop playing with all my friends and taking their money, but it would be nice for things to run smoothly (when other sites obviously can). Yahoo does such a good job otherwise, it just seems insane to let one little issue (which they apparently have no control over?), put a black eye on it.

I just feel the “go somewhere else” posts offer little in terms of use. I’m going to stay with Y! because I greatly prefer it’s format. I do however, see no problem with threads discussing it’s issues and potential fixes.

bigh0rt wrote: They've got about six months to get it figured out

;-D
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby markj11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Another problem with the "go somewhere else", it's hard to go somewhere else when you're in the middle of a championship game.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers