What did you learn in 2009? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What did you learn in 2009?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What did you learn in 2009?

Postby Pochucker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:46 am

I usually look to draft a pitcher who I have rated in 10th t0 15th area. In competitive league that usually occurs around 6/7th rd.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Neato Torpedo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:00 pm

Wright2Reyes wrote:Drafting pitchers in the first 3 rounds is a recipe for massive failure.

I was in 7 leagues and in 2 of them I decided to get wacky and draft pitchers in the early rounds. On one of them(my Cafe league) after taking M. Cabrera in the first, i decided to draft Johan and Webb in the 2nd and 3rd round. Result ended up tied for 11th place.

On my other league, i drafted, Lincecum, Johan and Webb in the fist 3 rounds, result finish 6 out of 11. I did manage to trade Lincecum and Johan, but it was too little too late.

The other 4(I'm not including my money keeper league), where I concentrated on hitters first, i finished, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Next year no more wacky ideas from me :-°

7 leagues? 8-o Not even I have that much free time.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby Urban Cohorts » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:43 pm

What did you learn from the 2009 season?
That in order to win, sometimes you need to pull the trigger and make a move. In a competitive keeper league, you cannot expect to win every year. There is no medal for making the playoffs each year. Either make the moves to win now or build for the future. Up until this season, I always tried to compete each year. I made the playoffs every time, but never won. This year, I finally pulled the trigger- made some trades for immediate help (My Rollins for his Wainwright as an example) and ended up winning for the first time since 2001.

What were your big positives and negatives in the draft?
The final 10 rounds of my draft were not good. I did not draft a single good player aside from Posada (who I dropped). The positives were the early middle and middle rounds. Ended up with a few gems in Tulo SS, Weaver SP, F Francisco CL, P Konerko 1B, and T Helton 1B.

What strategy did you employ, and did it work?
I tried to put together an elite hitting team, with a lot of closers, and just 2 aces. I always made a lot of moves and streamed pitchers when it made sense to do so. It worked out as I won the league, but it was damn close.

What players did you pickup that were pleasant surprises?
Todd Helton and Paul Konerko were decent hitters. Drafted Jose Lopez, but I dropped him. Got good value from Jered Weaver (17th round), F Francisco (18th round), and Tulo (11th round).

Sadly, the three guys I was thrilled about getting (A Gordon 15th, K Slowey 12th, and G Meche 14th) did not pan out. Especially upset about Slowey.
Urban Cohorts
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Element » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:30 pm

I am seasoned enough that I honestly didn't learn anything that I didn't already know. This was my 9th year in the same auction keeper league with pretty much the same owners. I had 1st sealed after 162 games, but a Jason Kubel HR in game #163 cost me my championship by a half point. I guess that if I learned anything it would be that someone out there really hates me!

My draft went very well. I had a good core of keepers heading into the draft (McCann/Braun/Kemp/Grienke/Kershaw/K.Wood/Milledge). My goal was to spend very little on pitching (I ended up only spending $61 of my $260 on pitching). I dominated every category except for Saves, which I punted mid season. Justin Upton netted me A-Rod (in a round about way) in a deadline deal. My bargain starters carried me (Carpenter/Wandy/EJax/B.Anderson). Konerko & Helton proved to be excellent bargains as well. Being patient with Wieters was also key.

As mentioned above, I wanted to spend a great majority of my funds on hitting, which ironically is where I fell short. I am good at identifying pitching, but I am hit or miss when it comes to position players. My goal offensively was to surround my core group with as many speed/power guys as possible. I was aiming for 310 homers, 1200 RBI and wanted to finish middle of the pack in steals. 270 homers was good for only 4.5 points and I finished 100 RBI short of goal (7.5 points). I did finish 2nd in BA & OBP (no runs in this league). And middle of the pack in SB as projected! So I was successful for the most part.

Carlos Gonzalez was a big pickup for me in the final couple months. He was doing everything including drawing walks (OBP is a cat for me). So finding gems like that in this league are usually rare. Other than GarGo, I pretty much ended up with the team I drafted minus a couple of trades. A few spots starts from Derek Holland mid season were nice.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 761)

Postby tinfoilxtouch » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 pm

What Did you learn?

I realized that making a ton of moves, especially in a league with experienced managers, isn't required to win. Usuaully I'd make 4-5 trades in a year. This year I felt that most of my better players were underperforming, and that I just wasn't being offered enough value in any package, so I just watched the WW and trusted my draft.

What were your big positives and negatives in draft?

The big positive was getting Braun at the end of round 1, then Utley at the start of the second. It was right around the time he was an injury concern and I had faith. Also, I managed to draft 4 closers without burning any high picks. Got Nathan, Street, Bailey, and Wood. That pretty much locked in my saves win every week.

Negatives, my starting pitching picks had great potential but overall were a disaster. I took Hammels, Kazmir, Oswalt, Burnett, the list goes on. I went pitching heavy and missed on every guess.

What stratedy did you use, did it work?

I tried to get as much pop in my bats and as much K potential as possible. I pretty much ignored what I projected as win potential for pitchers and BA for hitters. I used to always try to balance all the stats, and I'd always end up losing in the playoffs to a team that would put up 25 homers and 100 RBI with 125 K's. It worked out pretty well I suppose, since I won the regular season and playoffs.

What player pickups were pleasant surprises?

Aaron Hill saved my hitting. I got him off the WW when he just started to heat up as a needed replacement for an injury, and he just kept going
tinfoilxtouch
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigwords » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:03 pm

-The best players are those who can you both RBIs and steals.
-Stay away from injury-prone "sleepers"
-Don't worry what other people are doing at draft/auction time

-Rightly avoided young "upside" players. Missed mark on some veterans (Lidge in particular) but overall, positives outweigh negatives by a lot.

-Emphasis on positional/categorical scarcity, risk avoidance, heavy on hitting at the draft and lean on pitching depth in free agency. In most of my leagues, yes.

Shocked that Ryan Franklin stayed productive up until the final couple of weeks.
Was early on Joe Blanton and Joel Pineiro.
Martin Prado and Nick Johnson were solid fillers for a while.
Ryan Theriot early, traded him, and picked him up a 2nd time in the last month where he was good again.
JP Howell!
Nolan Reimold...who I traded for Adam Wainwright
Matt Latos who I traded for Andre Ethier
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm

bigwords wrote:Nolan Reimold...who I traded for Adam Wainwright

8-o
RedSoxNation04