What did you learn in 2009? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What did you learn in 2009?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What did you learn in 2009?

Postby fezzik » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:31 am

What did you learn from the 2009 season?
No single player will make or break you. Trust your strategy and stay the course.

What were your big positives and negatives in the draft?
I drafted a super solid core of SPs and my hitting intuition panned out in the form of Nelson Cruz, Hawpe, and D. Lee. One negative could be Peavy (although he's coming through for me in the finals/semis so I can't really say that). Others were Brett Myers, M. Gonzalez (solid Ks but dropped from closer role without any official word), Ludwick, and S. Drew.

What strategy did you employ, and did it work?
I went SP heavy and it paid off. I got razzed a bit for taking CC and Peavy back to back at picks 36 and 37, but I was undeterred. I kept a very shallow hitting bench and always had about 8 SPs on my roster that I would start regardless of matchup...in our H2H total stats I was near the top in both ratio cats (era/whip) as well as K's and saves. My pitching was my strength, but I also had solid hitting...leading the league in HRs and OPS. While I focused on getting the best SPs of any team, I was still able to field a potent offense.

What players did you pickup that were pleasant surprises?
A. Bailey, G. Jones, R. Wolf, R. Wells, J. Blanton.

Top seed in all 3 of my leagues, currently in the finals in all of them! It's never happened quite like that...I enjoyed this season. ;-D All tough leagues (12 team Cafe keeper, 16 team H2HWS, 12 team money league). I have to brag while I can...next season I may not be so fortunate. :-D
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pochucker » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:12 pm

This really isn't true. Both of the last 2 seasons I took 1st place in our league by a significant lead. Both times I had amazing weeks during the bye which did me obviously no good. Both times I had anemic weeks in my first playoff week and lost putting me into the cripple playoffs. Both times I had my normal great weeks during the finals and the first time would have easily won the finals and this time it looks like I would be in the running at least. H2H is way more luck based than roto.Ender

Ender,
The only part of my suggestion you did was have a bye week. Did you have two weeks of compiled stats for semi finals or finals--no!
In semifinals after first week this year I was losing avg by 48pts -- my team had highest avg for the year. The following week I caught and passed him in avg.
In pitching I had 5Ws first week opponent had 1 the following week it reversed partialy because # of starts reversed --two weeks of locked lineups prevents player with swamping other with starts and guaranteeing Ks and big advantage in Ws. Ive been doing this for years --it doesent guarantee #1 seed wins (again just like MLB)but it evens the playing field. Sounds bit like sour grapes on your part.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:00 pm

I have reinforced my strategies this year by the good choices/bad choices that I've made.

1st - I like to pick players that are good baseball players. Now this sounds simple but a lot of the time fantasy owners tend to focus on how many SB's and HR's can this player get me and then are surprised that the player horribly disappoints. You have to pay attention to each category but don't draft solely on it.

2nd - I like to make relatively safe picks in the early rounds and then start looking for upside in the mid/later rounds. This way you have a solid core of studs to depend on and if your later pick disappoints you can find a replacement mid tier player on the WW.

3rd - Load up on pitchers (especially your favorites) that you like in the middle rounds and ignore them in the early rounds (for the most part). There are a lot of SP's with ace upside in the middle rounds and every year a lot of pitchers in the early rounds disappoint. It's also true of hitters but not nearly as bad.

I did learn that if you punt saves it will be very difficult to win unless you are perfect in almost every category. I still hate drafting closers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 158)

Postby gforce1124 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:32 pm

My league is 10 team dynasty roto 6x6 (R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP and K.....W, SV, ERA, WHIP, K, H/9) with 8 keepers.

[b]What did you learn from the 2009 season?[/b]
You need a balanced team in order to win, I'm about to win my league and have at least 5 points in every category. I've never seen punting categories work in a competitive roto league. You need to stay diligent in monitoring the WW all season long. Keep an eye out for who impatient owners drop early, pick up new closers whenever possible and never underestimate the impact late season call-ups can have. Oh yeah, and Pujols is a god.

[b]What were your big positives and negatives in the draft? [/b]
My 8 keepers were a good start: Pujols, Pedroia, Youkilis, Braun, Hamilton, Chipper, Halladay and Webb, but I didn't have a 1st or 3rd round pick (trades from last year). I didn't have an especially good draft, I swung for the fences with every pick. I got great value from Vazquez in the 2nd round, Weaver in round 9 and Aardsma in round 16 (after keepers, remember to add 8 to each round in reality). Scherzer, Bedard and Andrus all provided decent stats at some stage but were dropped. I didn't take 1 closer before round 15. Milledge, Dukes, Ray, Chris Young (OF) and Orlando Cabrera were all disappointments.

[b]What strategy did you employ, and did it work?[/b]
I identified C and SS as being top heavy but very deep positions so I was the last to draft them. The top keepers at that position were held to tightly by their owners so I was forced to play matchups all year. This is a great strategy for speedsters, I played Andrus and Evereth Cabrera whenever they faced a C or SP that was bad at controlling the run game. When neither had a good matchup, I picked the hottest SS on WW who had a good matchup (considering ballpark, LHP/RHP splits, home/away splits, pre- and post-ASB splits, etc). I had this revolving door strategy for C as well. This worked for SS but not for C. It could've worked for C better if I didn't hold on to undperformers (Hernandez and Martin) for as long as I did.

I took care of all other starting hitter positions early, this paid off.

I wanted to draft a lot of pitchers, hoping a few would outperform their draft spots. This was key as I'm dominating my P categories.

[b]What players did you pickup that were pleasant surprises?[/b]
This was the key to my season, particularly with Webb and Hamilton (25% of my keepers) being major disappointments. I grabbed Justin Upton and Choo off of waivers after their owners got impatient and dropped them. Weeks covered up for Pedroia's slow start until he got hurt. Juan Rivera, Evereth Cabrera and Rajai Davis played important roles. CJ Wilson and Nunez gave nice boosts in saves. Arroyo, Buchholz, Hughes and Washburn combined for amazing stats and I got them all for free.
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:50 pm

gforce1124 wrote:You need a balanced team in order to win, I'm about to win my league and have at least 5 points in every category. I've never seen punting categories work in a competitive roto league.

I'm leading the ECL after punting saves in early July. :-) I did NOT expect it to work. Granted, I didn't punt from the draft, but after drafting only one guaranteed closer, I might as well have.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby wkelly91 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Saltydog wrote:Speed doesn't slump, and batting average is overrated if they are strong HR/R/RBI contributors.[/b]

Unless that player is Willy Taveras...68 sb's in 2008...25 this year... :-C that's twenty bucks I could have used somewhere else...
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pochucker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:34 am

Speed may not "slump" but it sure seems to get "hurt" alot. Power guys can still contribute withminor injuries --not speed guys.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby horatio » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:22 pm

That Erik Bedard truly is a worthless POS and should never be drafted again.

That in roto leagues top tier closers drafted in the 5th through 7th round can sometimes be traded mid season to teams desperate for saves for top tier hitters drafted in the 3rd or 4th round (i.e. Mariano Rivera for Kevin Youkilis and Frank Francisco for Alfonso Soriano (that didn't work out too well of course, but you get the idea)).

This year gave further reinforcement to my belief that drafting quality pitching early in H2H leagues can pay off. MY H2H opponent in the championship round these last weeks can't compete with Lincecum and Halladay.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pochucker » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:18 am

Lol where as I defeated opponent in semifinal (two weeks) who had Lincecum, Halliday, Haren and Juurjens pitching on his staff. My staff consisted of Weaver, Vasquez,Penny, Billingsley and Danks. Never draft pitchers in h2h early
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Wright2Reyes » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:23 pm

Drafting pitchers in the first 3 rounds is a recipe for massive failure.

I was in 7 leagues and in 2 of them I decided to get wacky and draft pitchers in the early rounds. On one of them(my Cafe league) after taking M. Cabrera in the first, i decided to draft Johan and Webb in the 2nd and 3rd round. Result ended up tied for 11th place.

On my other league, i drafted, Lincecum, Johan and Webb in the fist 3 rounds, result finish 6 out of 11. I did manage to trade Lincecum and Johan, but it was too little too late.

The other 4(I'm not including my money keeper league), where I concentrated on hitters first, i finished, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

Next year no more wacky ideas from me :-°
Wright2Reyes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers