What did you learn in 2009? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What did you learn in 2009?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What did you learn in 2009?

Postby Saltydog » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:17 am

What did you learn from the 2009 season?

What were your big positives and negatives in the draft?

What strategy did you employ, and did it work?

What players did you pickup that were pleasant surprises?
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 147)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What did you learn in 2009?

Postby Saltydog » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:19 am

I should have gone with my gut and avoided drafting a pitcher early in the draft. Speed doesn't slump, and batting average is overrated if they are strong HR/R/RBI contributors.

Positives were definitely my starting pitching. I struck gold with Greinke, Gallardo, Weaver and Jackson. I didn't expect much from Jose Lopez, but 20+ HRs has been a bonus. Negatives were definitely Webb, Khalil Greene, Huff, Harang, and C. Young.

I went with solid consistent offense, and took a flyer on a lot of my pitching. I would say that I got lucky with my pitching. I hoped that 4 category OF's were going to carry me through the 1st half, and thankfully they did (Kemp, Abreu, Lee, Crawford).

Ryan Franklin and Billy Butler definitely. I also grabbed Inge, Neimann, Magglio, and Joe Saunders when they hit the waiver wire and have been serviceable for the last few months. I also flipped Crawford for Howard in early July. McCutchen and Ohlendorf were also strong in key spots.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 147)

Postby DbacksRback » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:45 pm

Saltydog wrote:What did you learn from the 2009 season?
To follow the don't draft closers early rule... I grabbed Soria in the 8th and Capps in the 14th and ended up with a solid RP group of:
Soriano, Soria, Marmol, Capps, Bailey

Get underlooked pitchers who really worked out: Greinke, Carpenter(194th overall), Verlander, Wandy(215 overall). where billingsly and Nolaco let me down. Lind in the 22nd round

Strong core of hitter: Hanley, Kemp, Kinsler, Votto, Zimmerman, Sandoval, Beltran.

Hill, Reynolds ;-D

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:53 pm

I am the greatest there ever was.

Both positive and negative: I overdrafted on SB: Kemp, Holliday, Figgins, Gomez (for the first 2 weeks), and Martin. Reynolds was a surprise source of steals and I picked up Fowler a month into the season. I've led my Cafe roto league by a wide margin since April, and speedy hitters tend to score runs, so I've been leading that for a while too.
Negative: drafting Marmol as my #1 closer. I missed out on Broxton by ONE PICK. I was banking on Marmol being the full time closer, and getting about 65 SV between him and Qualls. I picked up Franklin during ST and dropped him the day Motte was named closer. !+) !+) !+)

With Qualls being my only closer, I decided to bail on saves in early July instead of chasing guys like Mock, Baez, Tavarez, and Isringhausen. I proceeded to build an RP staff of Thornton, Calero, Neftali, Wuertz, Gregerson, and O'Day (plus Jim Johnson who I traded with Marmol to get Ross and Neftali). Those guys have combined for 170-ish IP on my staff with ratios of about 2.25/1.10. I vaulted six guys in ERA and four in WHIP, putting me in 3rd and 4th in those categories. Now I'm in 1st by a comfortable margin approaching the end of the season. ;-D

Randy Wells and Jorge de la Rosa combined for 22 wins in 198 IP since I picked them up. 8-o
Picked up Washburn early on and dumped him after his 3rd bad start with Detroit (all 3 on my bench, by the way).
Drafted Wolf in the 26th round and he's been my staff ace.
Gregerson has quietly been a bit of an unsung hero for me. He knocked out 16 straight scoreless innings down the stretch when I was battling 3 guys in ERA.
Zito: 40 IP, 2.43 ERA since I picked him up for the stretch run. See: Gregerson

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:25 pm

Pitching is super deep, so to win leagues you need to focus early on building a solid lineup

No real negatives in the only league I drafted in actually. Among my positives: Grienke in the 8th round (14 teamer), Reynolds in the 15th round, Choo in the 16th (quiet contributor)

Take the best player available and wait on drafting saves. I'm about to win the championship, so yes it worked. I also avoided drafting any middle relievers (league that counts holds) and totally focused on building a good lineup in the draft. I was rewarded and was able to move a lot of players to further improve my pitching staff for the playoffs.

Adam Kennedy, Edwin Jackson, Jose Mijares, Adam LaRoche, Matt Diaz and Luke Gregerson have helped my team immensely. Best pick up was probably Konerko though......he was dropped early and allowed me to move Votto to get Vazquez....a deal that has worked out in my favor.
[/quote]
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:49 am

H2H
That knowledge and preparation is useless in H2H. Luck is all you need. When a 2.33 ERA, and a 1.15 WHIP, 5 wins and 4 saves is not enough cause the other team's mediocre pitching stuff puts up 0.44 ERA, 0.78 WHIP, 5 wins and 5 saves (4 Cordero) in 40 innings, theres nothing you can do, (theres no streaming in my league, and there are not many I could drop from the team see below)

Everything went according to plan. That the players did underachieved when it mattered is another story.

1. Drafting hitters in 9 of the first 10 rounds. Did not work. My team put up 21 4 20 7 .241 last week, and did not made the finals. The team: V-Mart, M-CAB, Figgins, A-ROD, Alexei, Holliday, Rios, Cruz, Votto.
2. I was trying to pick up closers during the season. I always ended up with the other guy. Only Morales and Gutierrez worked out well, but the season was basically over.Did not work.
3. My pitching staff was awesome. Vazquez, Carpenter, Beckett, J Johnson, Kershaw, Edwin Jackson, Kuroda and Randy Wells who replaced Bedard. Worked.

Edwin Jackson, Randy Wells, DelaRosa

Roto
1. Play Roto. Knowledge >>>>>>>>>> luck.
2. Losing all of your Corner IFs are never a good sign. Aramis, Chipper, Delgado, Votto.

Positive: Kemp, V-Mart, Ibanez, Gallardo, J Johnson, Lilly, Posada, Cruz.
Negative: Harden, Hamels, Bedard, Lidge, Marmol, Ziegler, Dye, Dukes, Greene.

K Morales, Ad LaRoche, Beckham, Coghlan, Pierre (Manny susp.), Aardsma, R Wolf.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pochucker » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:02 pm

I keep posting this and will continue to for all the h2h bashers out their (see previous post in thread)
Of course H2h has some luck to it --but their are ways to minimize it. For twelve team leagues go to two divisions . Top three make playoffs each div leader gets 1st week bye.(and cash) Then have two week semifinals and then two week finals. By getting the bye div winner avoid "one week pitfall".
If your team sucks for two consecutive weeks then you really dont have the best team. Its no different than MLB-best team doesent always get to or win World Series.
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 13)

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:43 pm

That as much as I love playing H2H, the luck factor really drives me nuts sometimes. It's all well and good when it plays in my favor, but when my team leads the league in HR, RBI, AVG and OPS and loses all 4 categories miserably in the 2nd round of the playoffs along with the chance to get to the championship, it just sucks.

Also learned, the hard way, that potential does not always produce...especially when you get overzealous and blow your #2, #6 and #10 and #11 picks on it. (Quentin, Davis, Milledge and Wieters, respectively).

See above for the negatives. Instead of Quentin, I could have had Fielder, Davis? I could have had Reynolds (went undrafted until the 18th round...), Milledge could have been Chris Carpenter and Wieters could have been Wainwright, Ethier or Josh Johnson. Definitely had a front row seat on the Wieters hype train and I regret that tremendously.

However, Greinke at #9, Cruz at #13 and Hill at #16 made up for some of the disappointment.

In my 12 team H2H keeper league, my strategy was to go hitting heavy early in the draft, grab some young studs with the potential to break out and then grab value pitching later on. As our league is 11x11, pitching has a pretty high value in our league and a few teams went pitching heavy early on and a lot of the pitchers I was hoping to grab late, came off the board quickly. When my hitters stopped hitting and my staff did not live up to expectation, my team took a nosedive. My closers, Valverde and Capps, absolutely were killing my team each week. I decided mid-season it was time to make some moves in order to salvage the season and to have a shot at the playoffs. I was able to trade Greinke, Wieters, Hanson and Quentin to pick up Kemp, Ethier, Zimmerman and Garza and that move helped me win the division and end up with the 2nd best overall record.

Right after the draft, I put Hanson, Feliz and McCutcheon on my watch list and all made my roster shortly thereafter. I picked up Justin Upton and Ricky Nolasco after their owners got frustrated with them early on. Trading Pence for Choo was a move that helped my push to the division crown as was grabbing Zobrist off the waiver wire.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby smoovethug » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:55 pm

That Rickie Weeks is a JERK!!!!!

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 87)

Postby Ender » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:10 am

Of course H2h has some luck to it --but their are ways to minimize it. For twelve team leagues go to two divisions . Top three make playoffs each div leader gets 1st week bye.(and cash) Then have two week semifinals and then two week finals. By getting the bye div winner avoid "one week pitfall"

This really isn't true. Both of the last 2 seasons I took 1st place in our league by a significant lead. Both times I had amazing weeks during the bye which did me obviously no good. Both times I had anemic weeks in my first playoff week and lost putting me into the cripple playoffs. Both times I had my normal great weeks during the finals and the first time would have easily won the finals and this time it looks like I would be in the running at least. H2H is way more luck based than roto.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers