Gammons: Expand Playoffs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gammons: Expand Playoffs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Gammons: Expand Playoffs?

Postby thedude » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:06 pm

Maris09 wrote:There's no good reason why Division winners should only get a 5 game series to determine their fate. That part has got to be changed.

Well often time a division winner is the the worst team in the playoffs. Why should a team with say 82-85 wins in a terrible division have an advantage over a team with 90+ wins in a very competitive division. That crappy 82 win team already has home field if it plays the wild card, and that is enough of a reward.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:19 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:I think he makes a decent argument. I'm the last person who wants to see the MLB playoff picture become and overcrowded joke like the NHL. But I think having 2 wildcards in each league and have a best-of-3 play-in series the weekend before the Divisional Series could be a good idea that would generate a lot more excitement for a lot more teams in the final weeks of September. What do you think?

Is Peter Gammons running out of stuff to write about?

1. Why add in another in another wild card, baseball already awards a team a playoff bid for not winning their own division.

2. Best of 3? The current best of 5 in the LDS is not even getting it done IMO, it should be best of 7.

If they want to fix the playoffs, they need to fix the network times.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:20 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
bazzy_51 wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i heard the Cubs are interested

Seriously funny after the 3rd or maybe the 4th or MAYBE even the 5th time you said it. But after about the 20th thread its in it gets a little old and no so funny as the first couple times. Anyways...

I like the idea of shortening the season and lengthening the playoffs also.

meh...i cant please everyone...i thought it was perfect for this situation though, you know, cause Milton Bradley ruined the Cubs season

Pathetic.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:20 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
BitterDodgerFan wrote:i say shorten the season and lengthen the playoffs if anything.

this

;-D
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby swyck » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:31 am

raiders_umpire wrote:I like the playoffs just the way they are. No need to make a change just because this September doesn't have alot of playoff type matchups between teams fighting for a spot.

;-D

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but those November world series night games in Philadelphia were a joke, and I'm a Phils fan. You can't play night baseball in November in the north. Anything that makes the season any longer HAS makes no sense.
:-t
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Verminator » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Sheesh!! Why don't we just make a 6 month/162 game exhibition season and allow all teams to qualify for a Round Robin tournament where runs are done "Family Feud" style and counted double in the 8th inning and triple in the 9th inning. If the game goes to extra innings, a home run derby decides to the winner.

Just trying to keep it exciting! :-B
When it comes to exaggerating, I always give 110%.
Verminator
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:27 pm

swyck wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:I like the playoffs just the way they are. No need to make a change just because this September doesn't have alot of playoff type matchups between teams fighting for a spot.

;-D

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but those November world series night games in Philadelphia were a joke, and I'm a Phils fan. You can't play night baseball in November in the north. Anything that makes the season any longer HAS makes no sense.
:-t

i think the plan would be to shorten the season in order to lengthen the postseason
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:29 pm

also i agree that they really need to make the division series 7 games. a 162 game season just can't come down to a 5 game series, there is just too much variance involved in such a short series. obviously still variance in a 7 game series but at least it lessens it somewhat.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers