Gammons: Expand Playoffs? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gammons: Expand Playoffs?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gammons: Expand Playoffs?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:01 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/notebook?page=bbtn

I think he makes a decent argument. I'm the last person who wants to see the MLB playoff picture become and overcrowded joke like the NHL. But I think having 2 wildcards in each league and have a best-of-3 play-in series the weekend before the Divisional Series could be a good idea that would generate a lot more excitement for a lot more teams in the final weeks of September. What do you think?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gammons: Expand Playoffs?

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:10 am

I'd love to see it - generally, the teams fighting for the wildcard now are of similar caliber, so its not like you'd be letting in a lot of crappy teams - it'd still only be 1/3 of the teams making the postseason, which sounds about right.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 am

Please no more additional teams to the playoffs. Does anybody really wants the playoffs to last 2 months like the NBA? :-t

The playoff races can have some down years for excitement like '09, they're usually pretty interesting to watch like Colorado in '07.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:17 am

It isn't a bad idea. I like the idea of a one game playoff between the 2 WC better.

Also I think you would have to get rid of the rule where two teams from the same division can't play each other in the division series cause plans need to be made and the teams that won their division shouldn't be left hanging to find out who they play until after the wild card round is over.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 380)

Postby Ender » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:42 am

I like it for sure. I think a lot of times the '2nd wild card' team is the 3rd or 4th best team in the league. Would also give the mid market teams more of a chance at the playoffs.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:05 am

I'd be in favor of it mainly because of the advantage it would present to the teams with a better record that wouldn't have a play-in series. I'd want the format of the series to be 1 game at lesser seed, off day, 2 games at higher seed, off day, and then begin the division series. The wildcard teams would probably still be able to start their ace in Game 1 of the division series.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grounded Polo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Also I think you would have to get rid of the rule where two teams from the same division can't play each other in the division series cause plans need to be made and the teams that won their division shouldn't be left hanging to find out who they play until after the wild card round is over.

I don't think MLB will ever dump the "Prevent Boston and New York from facing off too early" rule.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby StlSluggers » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:49 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Also I think you would have to get rid of the rule where two teams from the same division can't play each other in the division series cause plans need to be made and the teams that won their division shouldn't be left hanging to find out who they play until after the wild card round is over.

I don't think MLB will ever dump the "Prevent Boston and New York from facing off too early" rule.

Good call.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Maris09 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Before they fix anything else the 5 game first round needs to be thrown out the F'ing window.

It's the biggest joke in all of sports in my opinion.
Completely tailors to the "hot" team (usually the wildcard), and to teams with 1 or 2 lights out starters and not much else (also often times the wildcard, which is why they didn't win their division).
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:05 pm

the only negative i see in a situation like that, is that baseball isnt very conducive to short series imo. i would hate to see a far inferior team with 2 good pitchers knock out the team with the 2nd best record in the league in a short 3 game or god forbid 1 game play-in.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers