Help with problem from non-paying owner - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Help with problem from non-paying owner

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Help with problem from non-paying owner

Postby Court Jester » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:24 pm

This scenario actually happenned in a basketball league, but the specifics should be the same regardless of sport.

I was in a league where on owner apparently didn't pay the small entry fee. While the commish did not personally know the owner in question, the commish did bring the person in. Unknown to the league, that owner never paid.

I won the league and received the winners share less the one unpaid entry fee. There was no advance notification, etc....just a check for less with a comment the person wanted to pay me directly. As i know the Commish and do think he is a good person, I was willing to let it go at that. During the off season the only update was when he asked me into another league. I declined and advised i had never rec'd a check.

fast forward to renewal for the league in question, i questioned whether that owner would be back in the league. The commish said no and made a statement that I had done well enough moneywise so it was no big deal. Well......not getting the money is one thing - but that comment pissed me off.

As someone who has commished many leagues I would have done the following (in order):

1. As commish it is my responsibility - so i would have made up the difference myself.
2. Tried to contact the person who brought the person into the league to cover the shortfall - in this case, that was also the commish
3. deducted the unpaid amount from all the prize winners

Now the commish is trying to make feel guilty because his statement pissed me off. In one breath he tells me he doesn't know if the guy will pay..........in the next breath it was due to a misplaced check, family problems and maybe he will pay.

I think i am right, but maybe I am wrong to be annoyed by his attitude. Can another commish ring in with what they think?

Thanks in advance, Waz
Court Jester
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Help with problem from non-paying owner

Postby bigmck » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:44 pm

The Commish was certainly wrong to only deduct the money from you. It should have been spread out among all money winners. The big mistake was not collecting the money when the season started. If that is done, there is no problem. The comment that was made to you was not necessary. I certainly wouldn't play in a league with that Commish again.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby Court Jester » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. And while I am unhappy with the commish, he is still a friend..........but friend or not, I am not playing in that league this year.
Court Jester
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby etex211 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:14 am

It is usually pretty easy to find new owners for established leagues. I think that a hard deadline should be set for paying dues, and then anybody that doesn't pay should be dropped from the league. Award the team to a new owner that is willing to pay.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Return to Commissioner's Corner