TV Tuner Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV Tuner Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: TV Tuner Help

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:06 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't watch as much TV as I used to but almost everything I watch is available on Hulu or the broadcasters website after the TV airing. If you aren't worried about watching them immediately maybe that would be an option instead of going to all the trouble.

You would be surprised how simple it is to get your own pvr up and running. It took me about 30 minutes to install the PCI card and PVR software on a friends computer, although he did go the route of buying the $60 SageTV software package. It took me a couple of hours to install my MythTV package but that also serves as a complete media center including a front end for a game emulator, a music server, and a SlingBox-type server so I can watch my home TV from anywhere.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:33 pm

KCollins1304 wrote: Cox rape my ass.
I lol'd

I bought a piece of crap no name USB tuner and it worked pretty damn well except for minor signal issues. (mostly cause the connector sucked). I think they are pretty sweet
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Tavish wrote:
Madison wrote:Willing to spend $60-$100 now, but not $120 ($10 bucks per month) sounds weird to me. :-D

If he spends $100 now he doesn't have to spend $120 next year, or the year after that, etc.

Yeah, I know. :-b I didn't say it didn't save money in the long run (because it does), just that it sounded weird to me. Not sure why either, since I tend to eliminate as much off of bills as I can as well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby woodson_28 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:Are you looking for an HD capable tuner?

The cable box downstairs is not an HD box. Does that matter? Or is that irrelevant?

acsguitar wrote:I'd just get a USB one. Not the GREATEST quality but easier for a noob to user

What kind of quality are we talking? I have a 22" monitor that I plan to watch most of the recorded shows on (so quality wouldn't be a big deal there), but I also have a 50"+ TV connected to my computer (via Windows Media Player + Xbox360), and if it's possible, I would like to watch some of the shows on my TV, unless the quality is horrible. I mean, are we talking Netflix streaming quality or worse?

Also, I wouldn't say I'm a "complete" noob. Yes, I don't know too much about computers, but every now and then I'll get inside one and mess around. For instance, I installed a DVD drive into my computer a few months back (and the computer still works fine). So, I don't think I'll have any trouble installing a tuner card, I just don't know if there's a certain type of card that I should get. Will any card work, or do I have to buy a certain card based on my computer specs?

EDIT: Thanks again for the info guys. Tomorrow (Wed.) is my day off, so I plan to go out and try and find a card tomorrow, as I'll have time to install it and mess around w/ it tomorrow.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 pm

you have windows vista home premium? it has built in media center which you can use to record like a dvr. but like jfg said earlier, you are limited to analog 1-99 channels. the digital cable channels are encrypted and you won't be able to feed that to your PC. although, recently microsoft has decided to unlock cablecard to OEMs meaning if you get a cablecard from your cable company and hook it up in your PC, you could in theory get digital cable channels (you won't need a digital box anymore and cablecard rent is cheaper too). however, the trouble wouldn't be worth it imo, not yet at least. and even if you manage to install cablecard, i've read it's a huge headache to get it working at all.

if you are fine with just 1-99 channels, then sure get a hauppauge card. basic one like HVR-1250 or even one of those external USB ones should do. i have the HVR-1600 hybrid tuner which has analog, digital Over-the-air (atsc), and QAM tuners and it works pretty well with vista media center. but compared to watching just regular TV, it's a bit of a hassle messing with media center, and combined with the fact that you gotta have your PC on all the time, i just watch my TV exclusively these days.

remember, you can't go through cable box to PC in most cases. PC TV tuner will take the feed directly from the coax line from the wall. also, no feeding from TV to PC in most cases. one caveat, analog TV looks pretty horrible on PC. because PC monitors are much higher resolution than a TV. so don't expect things to look all pretty when you're watching analog TV. digital atsc on the other hand is pretty good (it's usually 720p to 1080i). if you have a decent UHF/VHF antenna, and the shows you want are on network channels, then you probably want to go OTA digital atsc.

and again, NO digital cable channels on PC. i wanted to do this also and everywhere i asked i was told it was not a possibility.

anyways, you'll probably get better help at places like avsforum than here.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jfg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:14 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i dont have any help to offer, i just wanted to rant about how it costs me an extra $20 a month for a 2nd HD-DVR tuner ($15 for the box, $5 for the 2nd digital signal...which sounds like a rape job to be and i'm still not convinced it's correct, but whatever)

That's 5 dollars more than Comcast, but it's better than Tivo who makes you buy the box, then charges you a monthly fee for the service, and if the box breaks, which it will because it is a box with a hard drive that is constantly writing and rewriting, you have to buy a new box.... and those boxes are around 300-400 dollars. The only good thing about Tivo is the software, but I still prefer to rent through the cable company. The computer tuner isn't a good solution for me either since a good portion of my recording is done on VH1 Classic, Palladia or the premium channels which are all encrypted channels.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:40 am

jfg wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:i dont have any help to offer, i just wanted to rant about how it costs me an extra $20 a month for a 2nd HD-DVR tuner ($15 for the box, $5 for the 2nd digital signal...which sounds like a rape job to be and i'm still not convinced it's correct, but whatever)

That's 5 dollars more than Comcast, but it's better than Tivo who makes you buy the box, then charges you a monthly fee for the service, and if the box breaks, which it will because it is a box with a hard drive that is constantly writing and rewriting, you have to buy a new box.... and those boxes are around 300-400 dollars. The only good thing about Tivo is the software, but I still prefer to rent through the cable company. The computer tuner isn't a good solution for me either since a good portion of my recording is done on VH1 Classic, Palladia or the premium channels which are all encrypted channels.

that is comcast...they must just rape you more gently where you live

i love how they charge me $1 or $1.99 or whatever it is to add/drop HBO, etc...
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jfg » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:43 pm

They have to because people pick up premiums and drop them just to watch a fight or a special.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:47 am

Well if you are comfortable putting a card in your computer you can go for that. However, the USB ones probably look pretty good now a days. Mine was a couple years old and a piece of junk.

HD cards can output in HD obviously. Internal cards if you are comfortable with installing them will probably be in PCI or PCI-e x16 depending on your computer.

If you give me your computer model...maybe you already did I'll check it out
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby woodson_28 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:49 pm

A year later, I'm going to revisit this thread...with a little more $ to spend. Last year I was unemployed and didn't have the money to dip into my bank. Now I have a steady job and I'm once again looking to get a TV Tuner Card.

I was at BB yesterday w/ $80 worth of BB gift cards in my pocket. I was unable to find anything I really wanted (I was looking for BSG on blu-ray - the older set was going for $140 at anther BB, but they were sold out. Only had the new one for $240 - pass).

Anyway, I came across the "Hauppauge 1199 WinTV HVR-1600 Internal PCI Dual TV Tuner/Video Recorder with IR Receiver and Blaster" for $74. "On Sale" but really not a great sale price. I figured what the heck. The lady told me that there was no longer a re-stocking fee, so I went ahead and grabbed it w/out having read any reviews. I have 30 days to return it.

So I'm experimenting with this product, trying to decide whether to keep it or not. Just curious if anybody has tried this, as the reviews are very mixed. This product will not work w/ WMC, which sucks. Has anybody purchased a different Tuner that they might recommend?

Anyway, I'm willing to throw out more $, up to $200 now. From BB would be great due to the GC, but I'm fine w/ whatever. I would like to be able to record HD shows, which I've heard that my current tuner will and will not do, so I'm going to have to find out on my own. My main goal is to record my shows and then transfer them to my 1.5 TB external HD, so I can watch them on my HDTV Media Player at a later date. The ability to record my own video games is a plus, but not necessary (xbxo360).

Thanks.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk