TV Tuner Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

TV Tuner Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

TV Tuner Help

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:31 pm

My Problem: W/ fall TV starting back up, I'm realizing that there are certain times in which there are 3+ shows on at the same time that I want to record. Plus I would like to record and store certain TV shows for later viewing.

I am wondering if anybody could help me out, by answering a few questions about TV Tuner cards (in english - I'm not really computer savvy).

Right now I have two cable boxes (Comcast). One is a HD DVR box, which can record two shows at once. The other box does not contain the DVR function (an extra $10 - so $120 a year). The non-DVR box is in my downstairs, located directly beside my computer.

My computer is a HP
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz
RAM: 3 GB
Running Vista 32
Hard drive: 500GB w/ about 250+ GB of free space.
Not great, but serves its functions.

Anyway, based on these specs, what kind of TV tuner card would a more computer savvy person recommend. I would like to stick around $60-$100, but I have no idea where to begin. Will that much $ get me a decent card? Will any card work, or do I need to buy a certain type?

And when installing and hooking everything up, does the cable cord that runs into the TV now go into the computer, or do I need to by and additional cord in order to run the cables to the cable box -> TV -> computer?

IDK, any advice would be appreciated. I've tried hitting the web, checking out howstuffworks.com and other things, but they've really just left me more confused than anything.
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: TV Tuner Help

Postby jfg » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 pm

A TV tuner is basically a cable box that needs coax running into it and your computers hard drive acts as your DVR. One thing to note is that you will only be able to watch and record standard cable on a TV tuner which is 2-99. Anything above that is encrypted and needs to be decrypted by a company issued cable box. As for HD, your local channels will be there but cable channels will need a box. I don't think there is a way to run the cable to the box first and then to the tuner. Well, I suppose you could set the tuner to always record on channel 3, but you'd have to have the settop box set on the channel you want to record and setup the time you want to record. Kind of like recording on VHS.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Tavish » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:32 pm

I personally run MythTv as the backend software and have an older Hauppauge tuner card. Since you are running Windows you might take a look at GB-PVR which isn't as fully featured as MythTV, but will be much easier to get up and running. The GB-PVR website should give you a full list of supported cards and a good HowTo.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:55 am

Willing to spend $60-$100 now, but not $120 ($10 bucks per month) sounds weird to me. :-D

See if AT&T U-verse is in your area. Then you can record 4 shows at the same time and possbily pay less than what you're paying now. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby woodson_28 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:42 am

Madison wrote:Willing to spend $60-$100 now, but not $120 ($10 bucks per month) sounds weird to me. :-D

See if AT&T U-verse is in your area. Then you can record 4 shows at the same time and possbily pay less than what you're paying now. ;-D

Ya, I have about $100 of personal cash on me right now. I'm not wanting to dip into my bank to solve this problem. weird, I know.

I checked into switching to U-verse a few months ago (when my comcast promotion ran out), but in order to get the HD DVR box + internet, it was going to cost around $119 a month. Which is about $30 more than what I pay for my comcast.

I appreciate all the help
woodson_28
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:31 am

Madison wrote:Willing to spend $60-$100 now, but not $120 ($10 bucks per month) sounds weird to me. :-D

If he spends $100 now he doesn't have to spend $120 next year, or the year after that, etc.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 am

i dont have any help to offer, i just wanted to rant about how it costs me an extra $20 a month for a 2nd HD-DVR tuner ($15 for the box, $5 for the 2nd digital signal...which sounds like a rape job to be and i'm still not convinced it's correct, but whatever)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Are you looking for an HD capable tuner?

I'd just get a USB one. Not the GREATEST quality but easier for a noob to user

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Something like that.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:07 pm

acsguitar wrote:Are you looking for an HD capable tuner?

I'd just get a USB one. Not the GREATEST quality but easier for a noob to user

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Something like that.

I might have to look into getting one of these. Been wanting a DVR/PVR for a while but don't want to let Cox rape my ass.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 pm

I don't watch as much TV as I used to but almost everything I watch is available on Hulu or the broadcasters website after the TV airing. If you aren't worried about watching them immediately maybe that would be an option instead of going to all the trouble.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Next

Return to General Talk