HELP - NL Sleeper Closers?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HELP - NL Sleeper Closers??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 3Ks » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:31 pm

JonnyBlack, while I understand Wagner is pretty well known as a good closer, I didn't think he was listed as a top closer, certainly not number one. I had him on my team last year and he often didn't even close the games, Dotel sometimes did. I forget exactly how many blown saves he had but it was more than a few, and his WHIP was kinda high. I'd look at another closer for your #1 closer if you hope to win anything.
3Ks

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:55 pm

I think Embree has the best chance to be the guy that comes from nowhere. He can get a lot of K's, so if he proves worhty, I think the bull-pen by committe thing is out the window. I doubt he gets Gagne numbers, but I think he'll be worth owning. He and Williamson should be on rosters.

I like Villafuerte's chances. The park doesn't produce alot of runs, so they should be in close games, which means save situations. He's got a chance at picking up a few saves, and if you don't have enough closers, he's one of the options. I don't like Leskanic. His WHIP usually too high. Looper in FLA should get the early chances, but anybody could end up with the job there as well.

Oliver Perez is viewed as potentially their #2 SP, and they don't want to interfere with that plan for a closer for half a season.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:56 pm

I think Embree has the best chance to be the guy that comes from nowhere. He can get a lot of K's, so if he proves worhty, I think the bull-pen by committe thing is out the window. I doubt he gets Gagne numbers, but I think he'll be worth owning. He and Williamson should be on rosters.

I like Villafuerte's chances. The park doesn't produce alot of runs, so they should be in close games, which means save situations. He's got a chance at picking up a few saves, and if you don't have enough closers, he's one of the options. I don't like Leskanic. His WHIP usually too high. Looper in FLA should get the early chances, but anybody could end up with the job there as well.

Oliver Perez is viewed as potentially their #2 SP, and they don't want to interfere with that plan for a closer for half a season. I think they do want one guy to win the job, and Villafuerte has the best chance.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:15 pm

Y's Guy wrote:There are no Eric Gagne storys this season.

No one will have Gagnes season or impact of last year, but imo, Baez is this years surprise good closer.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby gogiants » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:01 am

Wagner as a sleeper?? 8-o He didn't close all the games last year, but then niether did anyone else in baseball. He is a bona fide stud closer

As to lower tier closers, Williamson seems locked in to the job, so he is a good choice, and maybe looper. Watch for Vizcaino in Milwaukee, and German in Detroit to be factors, and don't count on stewart being the closer in Montreal for long.
I watched Embree pitch alot at Pac Bell, and I wouldn't draft him. He won't be able to handle the pressure of closing. Great middle man, not a closer. :-P
Watch the waiver wire, pay attention, and be prepared to gamble on guys who might get a shot.
"Walk Softly and carry a Big Stick"

-Theodore Roosevelt
gogiants
College Coach
College Coach

3ks

Postby jonnyblack » Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:59 am

i think i might know a little bit here. all closers have to rest. name another full time closer, free of injury, that has done it for more than just a year. i wish you were in my league. if you think b-wag is a "sleeper" as compared to some others, then, again, i wish you were in my league. B-wag is the only consistent guy with the least risk of injury. He's been drafted too high in my leagues, for my taste, but i wish all the owners in my league were like 3ks. I would win.
98% of Americans have a favorable opinion of puppies and rainbows.
How do you spell "biased?"
jonnyblack
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Location: Living Room, Watchin Baseball on Mute, Ignoring Idiot Red Sox and Yankee Fans

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers