Tips for cheapest vacation to Costa Rica (no longer Hawaii) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tips for cheapest vacation to Costa Rica (no longer Hawaii)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tips for cheapest vacation to Costa Rica (no longer Hawaii)

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:37 pm

I am in my last semester of college (It took me some time, but I kind of put it on hold for a couple years because of a good job) and as a graduation gift to myself I want to go to Hawaii at the end of December after Christmas. I have money saved up so I'll be able to make it happen, but I'd love to do it as smart and economically as possible.

I plan on getting a group of friends together, but I know most are just saying they are interested, but when push comes to shove they'll bail due to finances. I think it's likely that I can get 4-8 friends to come along.

One of my friends who says he wants to go said we can buy rooms off ebay from timeshare holders, but I don't know anything about this and it seems kind of sketchy when they are offering 5 nights for $250 total. Any tips of flights and or packages and hotels?

Thanks.

[edit] I have talked to enough people to go to Costa Rica and even found a friend who has a sister who runs a resort in Costa Rica....I don't know any details about her resort or if she could hook us up, but we are pretty set on going. Anyone have suggestions or ideas for Costa Rica now?
Last edited by Phatferd on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tips for cheapest vacation to Hawaii for New Years

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Screw Hawaii, go to Costa Rica. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:54 pm

Metroid wrote:Screw Hawaii, go to Costa Rica. :-D

Hahaha that's exactly where I want to go, but I'd go by myself and I would rather go somewhere with friends.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Phatferd wrote:

Hahaha that's exactly where I want to go, but I'd go by myself and I would rather go somewhere with friends.

Ah man, why wouldn't your friends go? Costa Rica is awesome, and MUCH cheaper than Hawaii. Hell even your broke ass friends could go. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:08 pm

Metroid wrote:
Phatferd wrote:

Ah man, why wouldn't your friends go? Costa Rica is awesome, and MUCH cheaper than Hawaii. Hell even your broke ass friends could go. :-D

I hear ya, and I really don't know. I think it has to do with most not having passports which is stupid because we have 3 months to get them. I think most of my friends have it in their head that they'll more likely to make friends with the opposite sex in Hawaii...

Metroid, as far as Costa Rica what would you suggest? I'll be open to it and welcome your advice. I also will welcome anyone else's advice including Hawaii. Maybe I'll take everything into account and present a gameplan to my friends.

Truth be told, if I could get 1 friend to go to Costa Rica I'd probably do that instead. I was hoping my lady friend would be down to come, but based on this past week I think that will not happen, lol.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:38 pm

Man I'd priceline it. It'll be an adventure but you'll save a ton.

NAME YOUR PRICE!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:10 pm

I should have put "I hear Costa Rica is awesome" I actually never been. :-B

I have a close friend who goes there at least once a year and spends a month there, his fiances family is from there and her parents have a home there. He says everything is super cheap, he works in construction and he says it's cheaper for him to just go live there, when the weather is really bad here, than it is to stick around here and work. Next time I talk to him I'll ask him whats up.

I also have another friend who rented a house there for like a month and it was half the cost of what I pay here for my mortgage, and he said the place was super pimpy. B-)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Madison » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:55 am

Bad year for a trip, Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the Wii hits January 1st! Probably lots of stores having a "New Year's Party" for that so they can start selling them at 12:01 AM. Ok, I'm old, and a bit of a geek sometimes. :,-(

As to Hawaii, I've never really seen the need to blow a bunch of money on the "trip" part of the trip, so I'd make sure to buy tickets well ahead of time and make hotel reservations as early as possible as well. I hear good things about Priceline, so odds are that's who I'd use and I'd also check their competitors as well. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Inukchuk » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:56 am

Yeah, I've been to Maui twice, and I've done Priceline both times. They seem to consistently have the best prices of all the online travel agents. The nice thing is, once you get there, most the cool stuff is free. You just need to know where to find it. There's a series of "Revealed" guidebooks (ie Maui Revealed, Oahu Revealed, etc...), and I would definitely grab the one for the island you plan on visiting. They're full of little known spots on each island that you can visit that offer a lot of privacy and ridiculous views. Too bad your lady friend isn't going. There's nothing better than hanging out in a private cove like this one all by yourself...

abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Tips for cheapest vacation to Costa Rica (no longer Hawaii)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:32 am

Costa Rica isn't Hawaii anymore? When did that change?

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Next

Return to General Talk