Was my judge in the wrong?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Was my judge in the wrong??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Was my judge in the wrong??

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:36 pm

You know what this kind of reminded me of...one of those DaQ stories (without the asking for advice part).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fantasy GM » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. You guys are right...I ultimately got what I was looking for; went to jury duty, don't have to serve on a case, got my credit, and I won't be back for three years. With the judge, I think it was shock - I didn't expect her to get into a tizzy about it. It felt strange.

knapplc wrote:I have a job, it would be extremely inconvenient to me to be out of my job for three weeks, my cases would pile up, and much of my work would not be done by others. My wife would have a similar problem - very little of what she does could be done by another worker, and it would pile up.

How are your responsibilities as a student more important than my responsibilities at my job, or my wife's at hers, or the next person at theirs?

You would get paid for jury service, I wouldn't. You also can't get fired from your job for serving on the jury, while I can fail out of school ;-)
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:53 pm

Trust me it could be much worse. imagine if you were called for a federal jury which pulls jurors from all over the state, so some people who literally live hours from court and have to go to jury duty everyday for weeks. :-/
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby JTWood » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:28 pm

mweir145 wrote:You know what this kind of reminded me of...one of those DaQ stories (without the asking for advice part).

ha... good call
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:54 pm

Fantasy GM wrote:You would get paid for jury service, I wouldn't. You also can't get fired from your job for serving on the jury, while I can fail out of school ;-)

I'd make more money picking up cans on the side of the highway than I would serving as a juror. :-P
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:21 am

Fantasy GM wrote:
knapplc wrote:I have a job, it would be extremely inconvenient to me to be out of my job for three weeks, my cases would pile up, and much of my work would not be done by others. My wife would have a similar problem - very little of what she does could be done by another worker, and it would pile up.

How are your responsibilities as a student more important than my responsibilities at my job, or my wife's at hers, or the next person at theirs?

You would get paid for jury service, I wouldn't. You also can't get fired from your job for serving on the jury, while I can fail out of school ;-)

You'll understand better the ramifications of jury duty when you get out in the workforce. Let's just say that I've been where you are, and I am where I am, and I have zero sympathy for you.

As for the pay, Met said it well when he said I could pick up more money collecting cans. I make a lower wage than I should at my job, but it's still way more than jury duty. And my monthly and quarterly goals wouldn't change if I were in jury duty, yet my work wouldn't be getting done. And my annual performance review would reflect that, which would affect my income, and could affect my position itself. There are more things to consider while in the workforce than in school. You've got it easy. Stop complaining.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:26 am

Yeah, sounds like she was quite unprofessional to me. But one thing to consider is that practically everyone tries to get out of serving, so I'm sure it gets old for judges to hear the string of reasons all day (not making an excuse for her, but I can imagine how frustrating it must be). Most people simply can't vanish off the Earth for 3 weeks. Being a student, a normal person with a job, or even a homemaker doesn't mean things are different and one group as a whole would suffer less consequences than the other groups. The vast majority of people (!) simply cannot vanish for 3 weeks, period.

What I don't understand is why don't the courts allow people to volunteer for jury duty? I know quite a few people (granted, most are retired) who wouldn't mind serving every so often. One of my neighbors (a housewife who doesn't work, she's maybe 25 years old) recently served and she thought it was really cool to be on a jury, listen to the lawyers make their case, and then deliberate with the other jurors to decide who proved what. She said she'd serve regularly if they'd let her because she found it so interesting. Seems allowing volunteers would at least help as far as getting jurors and messing up fewer lives in the process. Heck, they could even go the route of having "professional" jurors (I'd guess it would only take a couple hundred people per city on average) and quit calling people for jury duty completely. Having a panel of experienced jurors might actually be a good thing in a courtroom. :-?

Personally I always wind up getting tossed due to my stance on things. Been tossed for fully supporting the death penalty (defense counsel used a challenge to remove me) and I've been tossed for disagreeing with the law (funny part is that the law has now been changed to reflect exactly what my stance is - go figure :-b ).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jlm53089 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Madison wrote:
What I don't understand is why don't the courts allow people to volunteer for jury duty? I know quite a few people (granted, most are retired) who wouldn't mind serving every so often. One of my neighbors (a housewife who doesn't work, she's maybe 25 years old) recently served and she thought it was really cool to be on a jury, listen to the lawyers make their case, and then deliberate with the other jurors to decide who proved what. She said she'd serve regularly if they'd let her because she found it so interesting. Seems allowing volunteers would at least help as far as getting jurors and messing up fewer lives in the process. Heck, they could even go the route of having "professional" jurors (I'd guess it would only take a couple hundred people per city on average) and quit calling people for jury duty completely. Having a panel of experienced jurors might actually be a good thing in a courtroom. :-?

Because you are supposed to be judged by your peers, and to have someone as a pro-juror they wouldn't really be a peer since that is their job.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

yeah i've heard of judges going off on people like this. a very similar story happened to my sister and she had to serve. the judge was very mean to her. i guess they want to make a point to people who they think don't take this jury duty thing seriously. on one hand i do understand judges who try to make people understand this is a serious business and is our duty to serve. but yeah, they should'nt go all crazy on the people.

i was about to say it reminded me of DaQ also! :-b
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Madison wrote:Yeah, sounds like she was quite unprofessional to me. But one thing to consider is that practically everyone tries to get out of serving, so I'm sure it gets old for judges to hear the string of reasons all day (not making an excuse for her, but I can imagine how frustrating it must be). Most people simply can't vanish off the Earth for 3 weeks. Being a student, a normal person with a job, or even a homemaker doesn't mean things are different and one group as a whole would suffer less consequences than the other groups. The vast majority of people (!) simply cannot vanish for 3 weeks, period.

Personally I always wind up getting tossed due to my stance on things. Been tossed for fully supporting the death penalty (defense counsel used a challenge to remove me) and I've been tossed for disagreeing with the law (funny part is that the law has now been changed to reflect exactly what my stance is - go figure :-b ).

Professional jurors are usually called judges. ;-) There are numerous instances in civil trials where a case is heard by a judge sitting without a jury and they decide issues of both fact and law. However, in the criminal system, one is entitled to a jury trial. I think there'd be a big problem with allowing people to volunteer for service (i.e. people could lie their way onto juries that they know are going to be picked that particular day). Although most people probably wouldn't abuse the system, there would certainly be those that would which would entirely defeat the purpose of a jury trial.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk