Buying a gun: questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Buying a gun: questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Buying a gun: questions

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:48 am

Madison wrote:Looks like Acs isn't alone at all:

Bullet-makers are working around the clock, seven days a week, and still can't keep up with the nation's demand for ammunition.

Shooting ranges, gun dealers and bullet manufacturers say they have never seen such shortages.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090923/ap_on_re_us/us_ammo_shortage

What recession? :-b

This is what happens when Fox News is the leading propaganda agency in the country
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:13 pm

It's what happens when the firearms lobby and the Republican party put on the full court press in trying to convince people that the 2nd Amendment is at risk. It happend when Clinton got elected as well (though not quite to this extent). The two groups have different goals, but are going after the same crowd: the firearms lobby wants people to think they have to buy up all of the assault rifles, handguns, and ammo that Obama is going to take away, and the Republican party wants people to think if they don't turn out in droves for the mid-terms (and later the 2012 election) that Obama himself will come to your door, take all your guns and force your daughters to have abortions, regardless, probably, of whether or not they're pregnant. It's a brillant tactic that, from the looks of things, seems to be working pretty well, at least for the firearms companies. Also, I bet the Republicans take back at least 20 seats in the house in the mid-terms, which wouldn't be exclusively due to this one topic, obviously.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Also, I bet the Republicans take back at least 20 seats in the house in the mid-terms, which wouldn't be exclusively due to this one topic, obviously.

His healthcare reform is what will sink both him and the Democrats. He won't win a second term if *mandated* healthcare is passed.

As to the guns, the article says it happens every time a Democrat is president. Just this time it's a much, much larger buying spree.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:38 am

Hey, a couple more things. I was chatting with a guy the other day about shooting and getting your first gun and I found out that you can rent handguns at some ranges. You can rent for, say an hour, and try a variety of calibers and find the one you like. Might be good to go that route. I'm sure you'd love the characters at the range too. :-D

Oh, and if you're doing this for self defense purposes, you need something with stopping power so don't go lower than a .38. There's a common story out there about a cop who got call after call about shootings and the caliber always used was .22s, .32s, etc. When asked why he never got calls for the 9mm, .45s, .38s, etc., he said it's because they called the coroner.

Referring back to this quote by Dan...

Dan Lambskin wrote:i say Desert Eagle .50, but for you probably something girly that would fit in your purse

i'm not really into guns but i've always wanted a Luger or a Ruger...i just think they sound cool

a Street Sweeper would be cool too

My grandfather had a vintage Luger. Not sure about all the specifics, but I know it was used in one of the world wars and had something very unique about it, like it was tagged with an exclusive number or something. Not sure what made this particular pistol so much more valuable than all of his others, but it was and when he was younger he decided he'd hide it when he and my grandmother went on a long vacation. He hid it in the ceiling, just in case the house was burglarized while they were away. Well, he came back from the vacation and forgot about it. I guess years went by until he finally remembered what he'd done with the gun. However, he couldn't find it. He had forgotten where he had put it. I guess he basically tore his house apart looking for it, got a metal detector, everything, and was never able to find it. Kind of a ridiculous example of putting something so you can find it later...

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Hey, a couple more things. I was chatting with a guy the other day about shooting and getting your first gun and I found out that you can rent handguns at some ranges. You can rent for, say an hour, and try a variety of calibers and find the one you like. Might be good to go that route. I'm sure you'd love the characters at the range too. :-D

Oh, and if you're doing this for self defense purposes, you need something with stopping power so don't go lower than a .38. There's a common story out there about a cop who got call after call about shootings and the caliber always used was .22s, .32s, etc. When asked why he never got calls for the 9mm, .45s, .38s, etc., he said it's because they called the coroner.

On that same note, if it is for home protection you don't want something with such a high caliber that it will go through your walls and into you neighbors kids bedroom. I'm pretty sure the ammo you choose can keep that from happening though. But something like a 50 cal might be a little excessive for home protection.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Metroid wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:Hey, a couple more things. I was chatting with a guy the other day about shooting and getting your first gun and I found out that you can rent handguns at some ranges. You can rent for, say an hour, and try a variety of calibers and find the one you like. Might be good to go that route. I'm sure you'd love the characters at the range too. :-D

On that same note, if it is for home protection you don't want something with such a high caliber that it will go through your walls and into you neighbors kids bedroom. I'm pretty sure the ammo you choose can keep that from happening though. But something like a 50 cal might be a little excessive for home protection.

I don't know if acs could pick up a .50 cal so we shouldn't have to worry about that. :-b

But good point, about the bullets penetrating walls and there's a bullet out there specifically for home protection. They're called frangible ammo and they are specially designed to not penetrate walls, even just drywall I believe. They are super expensive, but worth it to protect your family and neighbors.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby markj11 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:42 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I don't know if acs could pick up a .50 cal so we shouldn't have to worry about that. :-b

But good point, about the bullets penetrating walls and there's a bullet out there specifically for home protection. They're called frangible ammo and they are specially designed to not penetrate walls, even just drywall I believe. They are super expensive, but worth it to protect your family and neighbors.

I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:55 pm

markj11 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Metroid wrote:On that same note, if it is for home protection you don't want something with such a high caliber that it will go through your walls and into you neighbors kids bedroom. I'm pretty sure the ammo you choose can keep that from happening though. But something like a 50 cal might be a little excessive for home protection.

I'd rob your house for fun. Won't even take anything.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Make my day squirrel!
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jlm53089 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:57 pm

Just get a Derringer and hide it in your vagina, you'll be alright.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk