Buying a gun: questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Buying a gun: questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Buying a gun: questions

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm

So I'm thinking of buying a GUN. I want a cheap one. I figure it's a good time to buy a gun in case of any crazy revolution.

Opinions? In Colorado I don't need to register and apparently I can carry in my car or something without a concealed permit.

Anyways whats a good gun for a beginner? Should I take a class?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Buying a gun: questions

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:20 pm

A .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off. O:-)
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:21 pm

The crazy in this thread will be fun to read. :-)

I think it all depends on what kind of gun you want. Do you want a shotgun? A rifle? A handgun?

If you're thinking of home defense in case of a revolution, you'll probably want all three. :-D

For personal defense you're probably better off with a handgun. There are plenty to choose from, and many have advantages over others, but the bottom line in ANY gun is, it's not effective if you can't hit what you're aiming at. So yes, take classes (they're probably required anyway), and practice, practice, practice.

Even the cheapest, smallest caliber handgun is going to get the attention of the Bad Guy if you shoot him in the ribs or the gut. Even if you catch his leg, he's going to have to seriously reevaluate his need to work harm on you if you've lodged something deep within him from 20 feet away. And that's just with a .38 Special. You get a larger caliber and you're talking immediate stopping power, whether he's high or not.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:24 pm

I want something just in case of crazy people trying to overthrow the government or something.

Anyways can I get an AK 47? Is that a semi?
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:26 pm

You should definitely take a course in gun safety. Honestly, it should be a requirement to own a firearm in my opinion.

What are you getting a gun for, or what do you want to use it for? Simple home protection? If that's the case, I'd just get yourself a cheap, but comfortable/dependable 9mm. Hi-Point makes a very affordable 9mm. It's certainly nothing special, has quite a bit of weight to it, but it's dependable and is probably cheaper than any other quality 9mm you're going to find. Here's a link to the Hi-Point 9mm page - http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... t_9mm.html. And here's a video about it's cleaning and some other details - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YxzMal-NY0. So that's the one I would recommend if you're not looking for anything special.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:28 pm

acsguitar wrote:I want something just in case of crazy people trying to overthrow the government or something.

Anyways can I get an AK 47? Is that a semi?

I don't think you'll be able to legally purchase an AK. An SKS, however, you can go get. I think they run around $400 and have a ton of options now. I have one I bought when I was a teenager for about $100 and the value has skyrocketed. Really fun to shoot. Basically the same rifle as the AK, but semi-auto. http://www.sks-rifles.com/
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:32 pm

You're in Denver, correct? I think this is the legalese for owning an AK-47 in Denver...

(a) Legislative intent. The city council hereby finds and declares that the use of assault weapons poses a threat to the health, safety and security of all citizens of the City and County of Denver. Further, the council finds that assault weapons are capable both of a rapid rate of fire as well as of a capacity to fire an inordinately large number of rounds without reloading and are designed primarily for military or antipersonnel use. The city council finds that law enforcement agencies report increased use of assault weapons for criminal activities. This has resulted in a record number of related homicides and injuries to citizens and law enforcement officers. It is, therefore, the intent of the city council to place reasonable and necessary restrictions on the sale and possession of assault weapons while placing no restrictions on the right of citizens to use weapons which are primarily designed and intended for hunting, target practice and other legitimate sports or recreational activities and the protection of home, person and property.

(b) Definitions. The following words and phrases, when used in this section, shall have these meanings respectively ascribed to them:

(1) Assault weapon shall include all firearms with any of the following characteristics:

a. All semiautomatic action, centerfire rifles with a detachable magazine with a capacity of twenty-one (21) or more rounds.

b. All semiautomatic shotguns with a folding stock or a magazine capacity of more than six (6) rounds or both.

c. Reserved.

d. Any firearm which has been modified to be operable as an assault weapon as defined herein.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:33 pm

i say Desert Eagle .50, but for you probably something girly that would fit in your purse

i'm not really into guns but i've always wanted a Luger or a Ruger...i just think they sound cool

a Street Sweeper would be cool too
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Obviously you need a glock with all the accessories, and the accessories need to have flames painted on them for extra bad ass-ness.

ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:38 pm

I've always wanted a SIG-Sauer. They make quality handguns, they're dependable and they're accurate if you are.

Cabella's has some that I've lusted after for a while. I'll get one some day.
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk