Study says spanking is bad for young kids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Study says spanking is bad for young kids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Study says spanking is bad for young kids

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:26 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
DaShiz23 wrote:I am pro spanking, but for 2 and a half year olds and up. Problem is, my wife is anti-spanking. I think I am slowly starting to win out, as my two boys seems to take advantage of her 'harsh' punishments. I highly doubt I could spank a little girl, if I was to have one in the future. I am somewhat of a softy.
My biggest problem, though, is that I tend to laugh at all of the crzy stuff my boys do, and spanking with a big :-D on my face is somewhat counter-productive.

I'm all for spanking the wife...with a big :-D on my face

I just threw up in my mouth
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:10 pm

I heard if you do that too often you go blind.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 388)

Postby Madison » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:59 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
Madison wrote:
jfg wrote:I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone but I'm anti-spanking. It might be a good deterrent to showing right from wrong but that doesn't mean it's right. I wouldn't want my boss at work to slap my face for making a mistake at work nor would I slap my wife's face for forgetting to pay a bill or whatever. I feel that example and conversation fares much better than resorting to physical punishment. I know I'm not going to sway any opinions but to me it is abuse, plain and simple. The fact that it is the only time that physically hitting someone (outside of sport) is acceptable proves it the exact opposite to me.

A smack on the butt is a whole lot less "abuse" than many other things out there. Public ridicule by your peers, pushups until you're so physically broken down you puke (military anyone?), solitary confinement, and the list goes on and on.

Spanking isn't abuse as long as the person giving the spanking isn't out of control (there's a HUGE difference in a spanking and a beating).

Who pukes from too many pushups? That's nuts. You just made that up Mad. Nobody in the history of military service has ever puked from pushups...unless you're doing the pushups on somebody's stomach, or maybe watching Oprah do pushups.

What goes on in that sick mind of yours Mad?

I know the military is a bit different up there Mook, so I'll give you a pass on this one. :-b
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:43 pm

I am a father who spanks his kid. Rarely. Seriously, it's been well over a year since I last spanked him, but that might be because he's 9 almost 10 now and might be getting too old. My boy understands what a spanking is and what it's for. Generally the simple threat of a spanking is enough of a deterrent and I don't have to resort to it, but when I have it's a quick WHAP and it's over. He cries, we hug, we talk, and life goes on. Lessons learned. My boy's a little firecracker so I really don't know how some parents would discipline their kids, effectively anyway, without the spanking option. Kids have been getting spanked for decades and now it's a bad thing. Really? How many of us were spanked? I was and I'd like to think I'm ok. I don't hate my dad for it. Parents are going to quickly lose control if this simple and effective disciplinary tool is taken away from them.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk