Study says spanking is bad for young kids - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Study says spanking is bad for young kids

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Study says spanking is bad for young kids

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:05 am

Metroid wrote: And I've spanked my monkey more times than I can count.

This. Plus 10.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:20 am

I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone but I'm anti-spanking. It might be a good deterrent to showing right from wrong but that doesn't mean it's right. I wouldn't want my boss at work to slap my face for making a mistake at work nor would I slap my wife's face for forgetting to pay a bill or whatever. I feel that example and conversation fares much better than resorting to physical punishment. I know I'm not going to sway any opinions but to me it is abuse, plain and simple. The fact that it is the only time that physically hitting someone (outside of sport) is acceptable proves it the exact opposite to me.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:07 am

knapplc wrote:Study says spanking is bad for young kids

Does the study postulate on its affect on adults?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Metroid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:39 am

jfg wrote:I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone but I'm anti-spanking. It might be a good deterrent to showing right from wrong but that doesn't mean it's right. I wouldn't want my boss at work to slap my face for making a mistake at work nor would I slap my wife's face for forgetting to pay a bill or whatever. I feel that example and conversation fares much better than resorting to physical punishment. I know I'm not going to sway any opinions but to me it is abuse, plain and simple. The fact that it is the only time that physically hitting someone (outside of sport) is acceptable proves it the exact opposite to me.

The difference between your two examples and spanking young children is that young children are still learning right from wrong and often times lack the ability, at a young age, to know the difference. Of course being smacked by your boss for not having a cover sheet on your TPS report is wrong. You know you made a mistake and a simple talking to will correct that. And if your wife forgets to pay your XBOX Live bill you can just tell her she's a dumbass, no need slap her. Again she can comprehend right and wrong and knows she made a mistake. Young children lack that ability and the startling effect of a mild spanking gets them on the right track. Of course there comes a time when spanking is no longer needed or is not effective, that's when time outs and groundings come into play. I bet you wouldn't like your boss putting you on a time out either. :-b
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:57 am

I'm anti spanking as well. I don't think it's the WORST thing ever. I think Violent spanking is a problem. Like the crazy person in the grocery store belittling and wailing on their childs arse because the child picked up a candy bar.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Metroid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:09 pm

acsguitar wrote:I'm anti spanking as well. I don't think it's the WORST thing ever. I think Violent spanking is a problem. Like the crazy person in the grocery store belittling and wailing on their childs arse because the child picked up a candy bar.

Totally dude, and when I say spanking I'm talking a firm pat on the rear, like when you give your buddy a highfive. Anything harder than that is just mean, it's not about causing pain it's about the startling reaction a spanking gives.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 pm

jfg wrote:I don't think this will come as a surprise to anyone but I'm anti-spanking. It might be a good deterrent to showing right from wrong but that doesn't mean it's right. I wouldn't want my boss at work to slap my face for making a mistake at work nor would I slap my wife's face for forgetting to pay a bill or whatever. I feel that example and conversation fares much better than resorting to physical punishment. I know I'm not going to sway any opinions but to me it is abuse, plain and simple. The fact that it is the only time that physically hitting someone (outside of sport) is acceptable proves it the exact opposite to me.

A smack on the butt is a whole lot less "abuse" than many other things out there. Public ridicule by your peers, pushups until you're so physically broken down you puke (military anyone?), solitary confinement, and the list goes on and on.

Spanking isn't abuse as long as the person giving the spanking isn't out of control (there's a HUGE difference in a spanking and a beating).
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:47 pm

Metroid wrote: And I've spanked my monkey more times than I can count.

Proof:

ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:49 pm

Some people just shouldn't have kids. EXAMPLE:

I was at a Whole Foods (my boycott lasted a whole week) last week. This hot blonde mom who was probably in her early 30's and Obvioulsy LOADED (It's a rich neighborhood whole foods) was being mean as heck to her kids. Her kids were quitely sitting there and she was belittiling the 2 year old for litearlly gooing and gaaing. Then her 4 year old was being quiet and she started to get on her case about something. She was just mean. The worst was that after ordering from the Hot Bar she goes "EWWW EWWW why are my hands greasey!! EWW What is this!! Which one of you did this!" I'm thinking lady you have a 2 year old and a 4 year old behaving fine and you are ordering greasy pizza and you are acting like a child.

Anyways it just made me mad. She probably married rich and just lays on her back and makes babies which she belittles publicly. It made me mad.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby jfg » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:47 pm

I don't know, spanking is still the only occasion where pain is inflicted on a human non-consensually and it's not against the law. I don't see how spanking is above the law no matter how light it is being done. And I don't buy that spanking is the only way to teach right from wrong because I'm absolutely sure that it isn't.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk