61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:53 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:What is God's xFIP?

Whatever it is, it probably isn't as good as Roy Halladay's.


Heaven is a lot easier to pitch in than the AL East.
Image
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5089
Joined: 29 Dec 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:41 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:There are certainly a lot of gaps in the belief that humans (and all life) evolved from some primordial slime, but to deny "evolution" in general is to deny gravity at this point. Evolution occurs, that isn't debatable. Whether it's responsible for the origin of species is.


Exactly evolution is real. Did we Evolve from slime....thats harder to prove. However, there is no doubt that evolution does occur. Appendixes, tails, colors, on and on.

Also God is in the business of writing science books in texas


God doesn't even write books here. :-b

But it is funny that students can be taught that the Big Bag Theory (how can "nothing" explode?) caused everything, including the ooze, and be taught that humans supposedly evolved from said ooze, yet the word "God" cannot be mentioned in school. Not trying to stir up another God/school debate, I just find it pretty hypocritical.


dont kids learn about Greek mythology...just as plausible that Apollo is pulling the sun to set with his chariot than God creating everything, no?
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:55 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:There are certainly a lot of gaps in the belief that humans (and all life) evolved from some primordial slime, but to deny "evolution" in general is to deny gravity at this point. Evolution occurs, that isn't debatable. Whether it's responsible for the origin of species is.


Exactly evolution is real. Did we Evolve from slime....thats harder to prove. However, there is no doubt that evolution does occur. Appendixes, tails, colors, on and on.

Also God is in the business of writing science books in texas


God doesn't even write books here. :-b

But it is funny that students can be taught that the Big Bag Theory (how can "nothing" explode?) caused everything, including the ooze, and be taught that humans supposedly evolved from said ooze, yet the word "God" cannot be mentioned in school. Not trying to stir up another God/school debate, I just find it pretty hypocritical.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you're being hyperbolic when you say the word "God" can't be mentioned in schools. That is demonstrably false. It's been a while since I was in school, but when I was, we learned about all of the world's major religions. I still remember my 7th grade social studies teacher, who was also my catechism teacher at the time, getting on me for failing an open-book quiz no Christianity. Also, the Big Bang Theory is still (last time I was taught it anyway) presented as a theory with dissenting opinion. Many people who want creation taught in schools think it should be presented as The One True Way.
Image
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5265
Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Exactly evolution is real. Did we Evolve from slime....thats harder to prove. However, there is no doubt that evolution does occur. Appendixes, tails, colors, on and on.

Also God is in the business of writing science books in texas


God doesn't even write books here. :-b

But it is funny that students can be taught that the Big Bag Theory (how can "nothing" explode?) caused everything, including the ooze, and be taught that humans supposedly evolved from said ooze, yet the word "God" cannot be mentioned in school. Not trying to stir up another God/school debate, I just find it pretty hypocritical.


dont kids learn about Greek mythology...just as plausible that Apollo is pulling the sun to set with his chariot than God creating everything, no?


Nope. Not when the name counteracts it ("mythology"). Anyone learning about Greek mythology knows it isn't true. So I can't use Greek mythology as a basis for why it's silly to ban the mention of God in schools.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Madison wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
Madison wrote:
God doesn't even write books here. :-b

But it is funny that students can be taught that the Big Bag Theory (how can "nothing" explode?) caused everything, including the ooze, and be taught that humans supposedly evolved from said ooze, yet the word "God" cannot be mentioned in school. Not trying to stir up another God/school debate, I just find it pretty hypocritical.


dont kids learn about Greek mythology...just as plausible that Apollo is pulling the sun to set with his chariot than God creating everything, no?


Nope. Not when the name counteracts it ("mythology"). Anyone learning about Greek mythology knows it isn't true. So I can't use Greek mythology as a basis for why it's silly to ban the mention of God in schools.


i dont want to get off topic, so i'll just say i agree with what Art said
Image
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 10225
Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:16 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you're being hyperbolic when you say the word "God" can't be mentioned in schools. That is demonstrably false. It's been a while since I was in school, but when I was, we learned about all of the world's major religions. I still remember my 7th grade social studies teacher, who was also my catechism teacher at the time, getting on me for failing an open-book quiz no Christianity. Also, the Big Bang Theory is still (last time I was taught it anyway) presented as a theory with dissenting opinion. Many people who want creation taught in schools think it should be presented as The One True Way.


Honestly I don't know. I know he's been taught about Hindu and Muslim religions along with "cultures" all over the world, and I know he's been taught about the Big Bang Theory and Evolution. There hasn't been one mention of Christianity though. I also don't know how the Big Bang Theory and Evolution were presented to him, but he sure took it as though the Big Bang created everything and then humans evolved from the ooze. Which of course confused the heck out of him.

So no, I don't know exactly what or how those are being taught, but it is irrelevant because "IF" they are teaching the Big Bang as a "theory" (like they should be), then they should teach all the alternatives to that (which includes God). Teach them all or teach none. Doesn't matter to me, as long as they are fair about it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:17 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:What is God's xFIP?

Whatever it is, it probably isn't as good as Roy Halladay's.


Heaven is a lot easier to pitch in than the AL East.


Meh I figured the ball would carry really well in Heaven. I assume god has a wicked rising changeup
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics Expert
Posts: 26722
Joined: 7 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Back in General Talk WOOO!!!

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby bleach168 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
Exactly evolution is real. Did we Evolve from slime....thats harder to prove. However, there is no doubt that evolution does occur. Appendixes, tails, colors, on and on.

Also God is in the business of writing science books in texas


God doesn't even write books here. :-b

But it is funny that students can be taught that the Big Bag Theory (how can "nothing" explode?) caused everything, including the ooze, and be taught that humans supposedly evolved from said ooze, yet the word "God" cannot be mentioned in school. Not trying to stir up another God/school debate, I just find it pretty hypocritical.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you're being hyperbolic when you say the word "God" can't be mentioned in schools. That is demonstrably false. It's been a while since I was in school, but when I was, we learned about all of the world's major religions. I still remember my 7th grade social studies teacher, who was also my catechism teacher at the time, getting on me for failing an open-book quiz no Christianity. Also, the Big Bang Theory is still (last time I was taught it anyway) presented as a theory with dissenting opinion. Many people who want creation taught in schools think it should be presented as The One True Way.


At my public university in liberal California, three humanities courses were required. The 3 courses mainly covered the old testament, the new testament, and the koran. Religion isn't something straightforward like algebra or English so IMHO, religion should be reserved for college level studies.

I guess 61% of Americans don't have internet access because I'm still waiting for someone to claim evolution is a lie.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 5058
(Past Year: 17)
Joined: 22 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 pm

Taylor Swift is such a cutie. How could Kanye do that to her. Boooo Kanye, hisssss

Image
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:45 pm

bleach168 wrote:I guess 61% of Americans don't have internet access because I'm still waiting for someone to claim evolution is a lie.


Depends on the use of "evolution". If they mean man evolved from the ooze, then I've already said I don't believe that and it's no surprise the majority of the world doesn't believe that, because the majority of the world believes in a higher being of some sort. If they mean "evolution" as in humans, animals, plants, evolving due to nature and need, then sure, that does happen and I do believe that (as most people do). So it really depends on what definiton of "evolution" they mean.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Monday, Sep. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Philadelphia at Atlanta
(1:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Baltimore
(1:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(2:15 pm)
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(4:05 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact