61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby JTWood » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Don't believe in evolution? Then how do you explain this!!!

telegraph.co.uk wrote:Snake with foot found in China
A snake with a single clawed foot has been discovered in China, according to reports.

Dean Qiongxiu, 66, said she discovered the reptile clinging to the wall of her bedroom with its talons in the middle of the night.

"I woke up and heard a strange scratching sound. I turned on the light and saw this monster working its way along the wall using his claw," said Mrs Duan of Suining, southwest China.

Linky

Oh, and about that 61% stat... Read this:

telegraph.co.uk wrote:Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America'

US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Linky

Cue ACS' unrelenting intolerance for those with no tolerance in 3... 2... 1...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 61% of Americans Don't Believe In Evolution

Postby josebach » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 pm

The fossil record tells us that modern humans evolved around 200,000 years ago. It's clear we have a long way to go.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:35 pm

That's a cool looking snake, must've gotten lose from Chernobyl. I believe in evolution, but that doesn't mean I don't believe in God. I personally don't think the two are mutually exclusive. I'm really not interested in getting into a God/Christianity/creationism/evolution debate though, the chances of changing anyone's mind is about 0.0000000000001%. :-D
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby IllinoisBandit » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:37 pm

A) Probably fake... China.
B) While I personally side with evolution, macroevolution on the order of species arising some sort of primordial soup is not a fact. And more accomplished scientists do not agree with it than you might think - but often don't speak up due to fear of ridicule. I think it's sad the way creationists are persecuted for not believing in a theory. That kind of close-mindedness really hinders science (see: the role of viruses in causing cancer).
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:39 pm

Photoshopped. Clearly.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby KCollins1304 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:46 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:A) Probably fake... China.
B) While I personally side with evolution, macroevolution on the order of species arising some sort of primordial soup is not a fact. And more accomplished scientists do not agree with it than you might think - but often don't speak up due to fear of ridicule. I think it's sad the way creationists are persecuted for not believing in a theory. That kind of close-mindedness really hinders science (see: the role of viruses in causing cancer).

OK, I lied this is one of my favorite topics. I think creationism mostly gets dissed because its main objective is to disprove evolution instead of trying to actually discover what happened that lead to the current state of species. They start with the conclusion that God created everything individually and work backwards from there IMO. The thing that I mostly don't understand is why people are so scared of the "possibility" that evolution occurred and reject it so quickly. I think the idea that God "could have" created one thing(primordial ooze) and from that billions of species arose is amazing, and does not take away from the power of our God. I read this book in college for a Science and Religion class and it really opened my eyes to how evolution and God can coexist.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:01 am

Evolution exists. I evolved a boatload of hair on my back. I look like a freakin' werewolf, man.

PS - I'm loaded. But whatever. Carpe Carp. And see how far that gets you.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 am

this thread is going to go nowhere in a hurry.

<--- grabs another beer.

I believe in God and Jesus, and I also believe in evolution.

One has the strength to carry any burden, and One is science. I believe they can be and are mutually exclusive, and that's all I'll say until someone stupid says someone ridiculously stupid.

There's a reason there are no polar bears in Indonesia and no Lions in Antarctica (besides the goal line har har). They've each evolved to live amongst their surroundings.

This stupid snake probably ate a chicken though.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:03 am

In the beginning, there was nothing.

And then it exploded.

;-7
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 am

KCollins1304 wrote:
IllinoisBandit wrote:A) Probably fake... China.

OK, I lied this is one of my favorite topics. I think creationism mostly gets dissed because its main objective is to disprove evolution instead of trying to actually discover what happened that lead to the current state of species. They start with the conclusion that God created everything individually and work backwards from there IMO. The thing that I mostly don't understand is why people are so scared of the "possibility" that evolution occurred and reject it so quickly. I think the idea that God "could have" created one thing(primordial ooze) and from that billions of species arose is amazing, and does not take away from the power of our God. I read this book in college for a Science and Religion class and it really opened my eyes to how evolution and God can coexist.

The Earth is roughly 5 billion years old, right? That means that Earth and millions of other life forms were present for about 4,999,800,000 years before the first religion even existed.

5,000,000,000 years... how can our primitive minds even begin to comprehend how long a time that is? How can anyone acquire the knowledge necessary to claim unequivocally that 5 billion years isn't enough time for life to occur naturally? Doesn't a rational mind have to at least consider the possibility that life is a natural occurrence throughout the universe and that there doesn't have to be a supernatural explanation? :-?

Why can't human beings just say "I don't know"? :-/
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk