Best websites to find scouting info? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Best websites to find scouting info?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best websites to find scouting info?

Postby bananaphone » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:20 am

I'm in a pretty deep league, and we deal with minor leaguers. I've been googling for the most part to do my research. I found some stuff from baseball prospectus that was pretty good, and free. I'm wondering though where the best place to find good info is.

I have been moderately successful in finding value with the very little I've found, but other managers are constantly one or two steps ahead of me. I'm looking to wise up here.

So my question is: Where are the best places to get good scouting reports on players, and info about minor leaguers? Free or otherwise. Like, if the info you pay for is worth paying for, lemme know. I'd be ok with spending a bit on it.

Some of the most fun I have with the league is being able to call up youngsters once they hit the major leagues, and having them slot in to help my club. Admittedly though, I need to get better, and more informed.

To give you an idea of the depth of our minor league system. Each team has 35 minor league players. There are 20 teams. So roughly 700 minor leaguers are kept.

This will be what I have to work with for next season.

First Base:
Allan Dykstra 1B SD

Second Base:
Johnny Giavotella 2B KC

Shortstop:
Drew Sutton SS CIN

Catcher:
John Murphy C NYY
John Hester C ARI

Third Base:
Billy Rowell 3B OAK
Jharmidy DeJesus 3B SEA
Ernesto Manzanillo 3B FLA
Christopher Dominguez 3B SF

Outfield:
Jonathan Gaston OF HOU
Eli Iorg OF HOU
Cody Johnson OF ATL
Joseph Austin OF HOU
Charles Davidson OF HOU
Thomas Steele OF HOU
Jack Shuck OF HOU
John Shelby OF CHW
Destin Hood OF WAS

Pitchers:
Jordan Lyles RHP HOU
Adam Ottavino P STL
Matt Hobgood SP BAL
Chad Jenkins SP TOR
Aaron Miller SP LAD
Sam Dyson SP OAK
Eric Hurley SP TEX
Casey Weathers RP COL
Danny Gutierrez TEX RHP
Jack Egbert SP CHW
Chris Mason P TB
David Duncan LHP HOU
Brad Dydalewicz LHP HOU
Simon Castro P SD
Brad Hand P FLA
Clayton Mortensen SP OAK
Oneli Perez RP SD
Sean Black RHP NYY
Daniel Schlereth RP ARI
Kam Mickolio P BAL

+1 free spot.

Thanks in advance,
BP
bananaphone
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Best websites to find scouting info?

Postby KCollins1304 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:03 am

www.minorleagueball.com is a pretty good site run by John Sickels he uses a letter grading system and does the top 20 prospects for each organization. He'll start rating teams soon after the season is over and runs through January working through all 30 teams. You basically get all the info that goes in his book for free.

www.projectprospect.com is another site I look at some, but their most in depth list is only 200, so that probably isn't that helpful for you.

If you want to find information that runs 700 prospects deep I would guess BP is the place to go, though I've never paid for anything there.

My deepest league has 285 players in the minor league currently. We do a 1 round 1st year players draft at the ASB and then a 5 round draft in the offseason, so the minor league system is progressively growing. 700 minor league players is way too much for me. Personally I think you're just drawing names out of a hat at that point. The hit rate on the top 50 prospects is probably 50% at best as far as panning out, but I would guess that the 500th best prospect has like a 0.001% chance of panning out. I'm not trying to change your league though, if your leaguemates and you enjoy that, all the power to you.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:48 pm

bananaphone wrote:I've been googling for the most part to do my research.

This is your best bet and the way I go about finding the most info I can. Prospects are so hit or miss and there are so many different opinions on them that its best to just gather all the info you can from any number of different resources....and google is the best way I can go about doing that.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby bananaphone » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:11 am

First of all, thanks for the input.

The minors does get really hectic with so many players involved, but I enjoy it. My biggest problem though is that I want to get quicker at grabbing guys up. Especially in these last few weeks, I noticed somebody about to get called up (Josh Thole for example), and was interested in grabbing him as a minor league waiver pick. There are 2-3 managers in the league that are flat out quicker than I am. Are there any strategies I should be using to try and get quicker? As I said, I've been able to come up with some useful players off of the minor league waivers, and it's awesomely fun when it happens. My biggest concern is not being a week or two behind.

To give a scope here, my biggest additions for the season off of minor league waivers have been mainly Everth Cabrera, and Brad Bergesen. I know I'm not going to find the next huge can't miss prospect just chillin out on waivers, but in this league I have found that even the smallest value is significant. Both of these players have been huge for my 09 campaign.

From google I've been able to find top ten lists for teams, or top x lists for all of baseball, but not much in the way of actual scouting reports. Like, what pitches a pitcher throws well, if a catching prospect is a defensive player, or a great power bat. Stuff like that.

I love the top 20 rankings from minorleagueball.com, that's definitely going to help. I'm also glad to know that I'm apparently on the right track as far as how to approach this.

I'm long-winded, so I'll give a synopsis here at the bottom Lol.

Basically, how do I get faster at identifying a player that might be able to immediately help me on my MLB team (even for the short term)?

And, where would I go to find some fairly significant reports, like a paragraph or three on various prospects. I've found this sort of stuff for the big names, which helps for trades, but these more fringe guys. I'm wondering if there is that sort of info for them. If I gotta pay for it and it's worth it, I'll put the money down no problem.

My ultimate goal is to get as much help for my MLB roster for the current year as I can. I have 5 spots that have to contain prospects on the big team, so I wanna make sure I'm using them effectively.

Thanks again!
BP
bananaphone
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:52 am

I've never found detailed scout's notes on players. It sounds like you're best off to google every player's name that gets added to the Yahoo player database. One thing I use that makes that easier is this script. It basically puts all the player additions right on your league home page where they're much easier to notice. To use it you would need to be using Firefox and download the greasemonkey add-on. This thread discusses most of Bwanna's scripts he has made.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bwanna » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:22 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I've never found detailed scout's notes on players. It sounds like you're best off to google every player's name that gets added to the Yahoo player database. One thing I use that makes that easier is this script. It basically puts all the player additions right on your league home page where they're much easier to notice. To use it you would need to be using Firefox and download the greasemonkey add-on. This thread discusses most of Bwanna's scripts he has made.

Bwanna is an idiot. He writes a script like this, then proceeds to share it with all of his dynasty league-mates who snatch up the good prospects before he can. What a dope.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby KCollins1304 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:00 pm

Bwanna wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I've never found detailed scout's notes on players. It sounds like you're best off to google every player's name that gets added to the Yahoo player database. One thing I use that makes that easier is this script. It basically puts all the player additions right on your league home page where they're much easier to notice. To use it you would need to be using Firefox and download the greasemonkey add-on. This thread discusses most of Bwanna's scripts he has made.

Bwanna is an idiot. He writes a script like this, then proceeds to share it with all of his dynasty league-mates who snatch up the good prospects before he can. What a dope.

At least you haven't shared your script where you can retroactively change your rosters, you still have that going for you.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Minor League & College Baseball