Public School Coach takes Team to Get Baptized - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Public School Coach takes Team to Get Baptized

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Public School Coach takes Team to Get Baptized

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 pm

This is so infuriating on so many levels

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... htm?csp=34

A mother is angry about a trip led by the head football coach at Breckinridge County High School. The coach took about 20 players on a school bus late last month to his church, where nearly half of them — including her son — were baptized.

Oh and this coach should be fired and charged with kidnapping and brainwashing
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Public School Coach takes Team to Get Baptized

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:03 pm

acsguitar wrote:This is so infuriating on so many levels

Why? I see:

the voluntary outing

attendance was not required

it was voluntary and the school district didn't pay for the fuel.

it was voluntary and no public funds were used.

"None of the players were rewarded for going and none were punished for not going,"

attendance by the players was strictly voluntary.

Vertress said his son, Matthew, elected to attend and that his mother drove to the church separately for the service.

I don't see what there is to be upset about. :-? Not only was the trip completely voluntary, but re-read the last line I quoted. Parents were welcome to be there.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:07 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:This is so infuriating on so many levels

Why? I see:

the voluntary outing

attendance was not required

it was voluntary and the school district didn't pay for the fuel.

it was voluntary and no public funds were used.

"None of the players were rewarded for going and none were punished for not going,"

attendance by the players was strictly voluntary.

Vertress said his son, Matthew, elected to attend and that his mother drove to the church separately for the service.

I don't see what there is to be upset about. :-? Not only was the trip completely voluntary, but re-read the last line I quoted. Parents were welcome to be there.

Michelle Ammons said her 16-year-old son was baptized without her knowledge and consent,

thats why

oh and this complete sillyness

Meeks said she would have sought the consent of parents for the baptism of students if they had been "7 or 8 or 9" years old. But she didn't think it was necessary for the players who are "16 or 17."

She said that if Robert's parents didn't know that the outing was going to include a revival service it was because "he apparently was not forthcoming with his parents."

The church's pastor, the Rev. Ron Davis, said that he requires minors to obtain their parents' consent to be baptized, but he added: "Sometimes 16-year-olds look like 18 years. We did the best we could."
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:14 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Michelle Ammons said her 16-year-old son was baptized without her knowledge and consent,

thats why

Meeks said she would have sought the consent of parents for the baptism of students if they had been "7 or 8 or 9" years old. But she didn't think it was necessary for the players who are "16 or 17."

She said that if Robert's parents didn't know that the outing was going to include a revival service it was because "he apparently was not forthcoming with his parents."

The church's pastor, the Rev. Ron Davis, said that he requires minors to obtain their parents' consent to be baptized, but he added: "Sometimes 16-year-olds look like 18 years. We did the best we could."

Your second quote answered the first. It's the guy's fault that the kid didn't tell his parents? And don't we have tons of 16 and 17 year olds running around on here telling us how mature and smart they are?
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

thats why

Your second quote answered the first. It's the guy's fault that the kid didn't tell his parents? And don't we have tons of 16 and 17 year olds running around on here telling us how mature and smart they are?

First off it's the coaches fault for not notifying the parents. Second off the Priest should've made sure they had permission. Thirdly it's mixing church and state. Fourthly it puts players in a tough position if they want playing time. Fifthly I don't think should've is a word but apparently fifthly is
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 pm

I'd have to agree with ACS. Children under 18 should not be baptized without their parent(s) consent. Beside the point of who paid for the gas to drive the school bus, the city/county/state still owns that bus and it shouldn't be used for personal use outside of its uses for the school.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 pm

acsguitar wrote:
Madison wrote:
acsguitar wrote:
thats why

First off it's the coaches fault for not notifying the parents. Second off the Priest should've made sure they had permission. Thirdly it's mixing church and state. Fourthly it puts players in a tough position if they want playing time. Fifthly I don't think should've is a word but apparently fifthly is

:-b @fifthly and should've. That's funny stuff. Well done. ;-D

The parents were notified of the trip. The exact details each kid gave their parents is where the issue is, and that's on the kids, not the guy.

There's no law stating how old someone has to be to be baptized, so while I agree that the priest probably should have checked ages, at the same time it isn't a law or anything.

Mixing church and state? I'd agree if the school funded any of it. Since they didn't, it's one guy and some kids.

The article flat said no one was rewarded or punished for their choice of going or not going, and no one has disputed it.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:29 pm

article wrote:"Nobody should push their faith on anybody else," said Ammons, whose son, Robert Coffey, said Coach Scott Mooney told him and other players that the Aug. 26 outing would include only a motivational speaker and a free steak dinner.

when i was 16 i would have let someone baptize me for a free steak dinner (although i'd hope to eat the dinner first and then politely decline)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:33 pm

KCollins1304 wrote:I'd have to agree with ACS. Children under 18 should not be baptized without their parent(s) consent. Beside the point of who paid for the gas to drive the school bus, the city/county/state still owns that bus and it shouldn't be used for personal use outside of its uses for the school.

I don't agree with that at all. Baptism is a completely personal decision regardless of age and is not something a person should need a parental consent form for IMO.

I actually think this is great. ;-D

And brainwashing? Awesome. :-b
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:41 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:
KCollins1304 wrote:I'd have to agree with ACS. Children under 18 should not be baptized without their parent(s) consent. Beside the point of who paid for the gas to drive the school bus, the city/county/state still owns that bus and it shouldn't be used for personal use outside of its uses for the school.

I don't agree with that at all. Baptism is a completely personal decision regardless of age and is not something a person should need a parental consent form for IMO.

I actually think this is great. ;-D

And brainwashing? Awesome. :-b

So you wouldn't have a problem if someone took your children to some Satan-worshiping event and had them initiated(or whatever you would call what they do with new members) without your permission? :-?
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk