Mark Prior, and other pitching questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior, and other pitching questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mark Prior, and other pitching questions

Postby nkeitt » Tue May 21, 2002 7:05 am

For those who have been helping me try to fix my ptiching woes, months of checking the available players pages paid off and I was able to snag him first in my league, letting go of Chan Ho Park. Hopefully this will help me get out of last place in some pitching categories by the end of the season!

I have 3 questions:

1. Should I go ahead and start him against Pitt on Wednesday, or wait for a better matchup?

2. I let go of Park to get him, but it shouldn't be hard to grab him back off the wire, my other SP's are Martinez, Miller, Beckett, Clement, D'Amico, Tomko, L. Hernandez and Halladay. Was Park the best choice to let go?

3. Finally, Bob Wickman just showed up on waivers and I was wondering if any of the aforementioned SPs or Julio was worth dropping in order to get him off the wire.

Thanks for the help guys, and good luck on your teams! NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue May 21, 2002 7:25 am

Pittsburgh isn't a bad matchup. If you want to wait and see if he can live up to the hype, that's fine, but don't bench him merely because of the matchup.

Park was a good call.

There are some health concerns about Wickman, but if it's roto, I'd still drop Halladay for him.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petben » Tue May 21, 2002 12:21 pm

Why Halladay? he's been great over his past few starts and puts up lots of K. Livan is the one that makes me nervous. I'm a Giant fan but this guy has never failed to disappoint as one of the streakiest players in baseball. Or Clement, the guy has a career 4.89 era after spending most of it in a pitcher's park, and can't seem to buy a win lately.

Prior is a fine match up vs the hapless Pirates.
petben
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue May 21, 2002 2:47 pm

I'd put Halladay, Hernandez and Clement in roughly the same tier, with D'Amico and Tomko being similar: high upside starters who haven't always played up to their potential. I agree with petben's comments about Hernandez and Clement, but I don't think Halladay stands above them yet. In the past month, he's pitched a great game against the tough Yankees (in New York, no less), had two absolutely awful outings against the Rangers (even if he didn't have great fielding behind him), excellent games against Seattle and Oakland, and a pretty weak outing against the A's in which giving up only one run didn't reflect the way he pitched. I think he'll continue playing this way: he'll throw some gems, but also some stinkers.

Then again, maybe I just still have his earlier control problems in the back of my mind and am trying to come up with reasons to avoid him. That last outing did bring back memories... Yes, that's probably it. Ok, after reflection, petben's right: it's close, but Halladay probably should be spared the boot (grumble grumble).

Score one for petben! B-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bender » Tue May 21, 2002 11:21 pm

That start against the Pirates on Wednesday(?) is against Josh Fogg isn't it? Man, I would love to see that game. It better be on either Fox or ESPN here in Australia. Two great young pitchers head to head. Not that I really like either team though, but who cares.
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mktgteach » Tue May 21, 2002 11:26 pm

Fogg started tonight in the 2nd game. He pitched a great game, but no strikeouts and one bad pitch to..........gulp :-o Sammy Sosa. Just a mistake by a young pitcher. Fogg looks like he is going to have a very good season.

But, tomorrow is THE DAY.......Mark Prior!!!!!!!!! The phenom has arrived.

My prediction........6IP 3 ER.......9K's and the win!

I'm out! ;-D
Go Hokies!
mktgteach
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Arlo » Wed May 22, 2002 7:33 am

Today is officially National Prior Day. No, wait - on this board, it's International Prior Day!

I like that prediction. Just to be different, however, I'll say 5.2 IP, 2 ER, no win...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nkeitt » Wed May 22, 2002 5:57 pm

Well, I'm going to let him have a shot, I mean heck, I can't be any further last in pitching than I am now anyway, and with the Pirate's low avg.s he should get a few k's for me at least (though I think 9 might be pushing it). The main thing is if he throws a beaut then I can flaunt it in front of the other managers :-D

BTW, I have decided to drop Livan for Wickman who can get me some more saves and help more often. I guess we'll see if I made the right choice in a few weeks (chances are if Wickman's health fails I can get Livan back anyway).

Peace,

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Thu May 23, 2002 4:21 am

Nice prediction, mktgteach! That's about as close to a bull's-eye as you can get! ;-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nkeitt » Thu May 23, 2002 8:27 am

oh. my. God.

yes, ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! mktgteach, remind me to take you with me next time I go to the races :->
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers