h2h playoffs support thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

h2h playoffs support thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: h2h playoffs support thread

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:52 am

OK. We both have 4 starts each (5 min, 8 max), standard pitching categories looks like this after today:
Me: 4 W, 2 SV, 36 K, 3.16 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Him: 2 W, 2 SV, 24 K, 4.35 ERA, 1.23 WHIP

Please help over here.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:45 am

Yoda wrote:OK. We both have 4 starts each (5 min, 8 max), standard pitching categories looks like this after today:
Me: 4 W, 2 SV, 36 K, 3.16 ERA, 1.18 WHIP
Him: 2 W, 2 SV, 24 K, 4.35 ERA, 1.23 WHIP

Please help over here.

Do you guys do the Max starts on the honor system or does the format you play in support settings like that?
I ask because I've thought of moving to this system next season but not sure where to go.

Thx
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:18 am

Maris09 wrote:Do you guys do the Max starts on the honor system or does the format you play in support settings like that?
I ask because I've thought of moving to this system next season but not sure where to go.

Thx

Right now it is a fine system if you go under/over the limits. I think we will just set a min IP next season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:21 am

Yoda wrote:
JTWood wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I've made the playoffs in my 2 dynasty leagues and believe I will get a bye in at least one since I should end the regular season in first. Will likely end in 3rd in the other. In roto, never done it before this year, do you go till the final day of the regular season?

We stop the week before in my H2H league. We used to end two weeks before, but then we started skipping the All-Star week and moved the post season back a week to make up for it.

Who is the host? Yahoo is pretty lame with their set up. Very limited customization. I'd like to do H2H all the way through with no playoffs. That is probably the better set up.

I use FanStar.

It's not pretty, and it has some small but annoying issues every now and then. However, the massive degree to which you can customize the league is very nice.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:19 am

I rolled the dice with Nolasco and Buchholz!!! Got the Ws and Ks with decent ratios only to watch Frasor blow the nice cushion that I had. Nothing like having your relievers give up 3, 4 ER an outing: Nathan, Frasor...

Got Brett Anderson and De La Rosa standing by for the final two starts if needed. My opponent needs to pitch well to take ERA/WHIP but he pulled up close today and I'm only up 6 to 4, much closer in categories:
Me_: 28 R, 8 HR, 29 RBI, 7 SB, .367 OBP, 6 W, 2 SV, 48 K, 4.06 ERA, 1.26 WHIP
Him: 26 R, 9 HR, 32 RBI, 1 SB, .324 OBP, 2 W, 3 SV, 26 K, 4.22 ERA, 1.22 WHIP

The only saving grace for me right now is that I have some categories all but locked up already: SB, W, K. The other categories are all up in the air.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby schmidty » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:46 pm

First playoff week for my one 1st place squad in the semi-finals (we ended the regular season a little early). Win the regular by 20 games, and crushed the team I'm facing in all 3 regular season matchups ... so of course I'm fighting for my life :-o It's a 6x6 league (regular 5x5 + OPS and holds). I'm down 7-5. He's just crushing me in the offensive categories - Pujols, Ibanez (NOW he picks to start mashing again), Manny (ditto), Swisher (ditto), Phillips. Just kicking my ass, though my team is still only 2 runs and 1 SB down (the other categories are blow-outs). Still, it's 6-0 him for the offense.

Pitching is another story. Blowups by Blanton and Oswalt give me giant leads in ERA/WHIP. I'm up huge in Ks and saves (5-1), and just a little in wins (2-1) and we have the same number of starters left. Though with the huge ratio lead, I'll SP spot-start like a madman to keep the lead in the counting cats. What does it come down to? Freaking holds :-P :-t :-C I hate holds!!! He's up 1-0, and he doesn't even have a holds guy on his team. Where'd the hold come from? Remember that awful game this week where Lidge lost the closers job? You'd think that wouldn't help your team, right? Wrong! Since he got one out (and allowed 3 baserunners) Lidge got a hold. And I had Madson (who was my only holds guy) and got a useless save. So I'm down 7-5 and out of the playoffs if the season ended right now.

But I'm trying to pull every trick I can think of to advance. There's no tomorrow, so I'm dropping SPs who are done for the week except for my top-flight aces (like Nolasco and Baker - dropping them I mean). The BJ Upton nightmare is over for me ... he's dropped. Madson is dropped, since I don't need saves. So I've loaded up my lineup with 3 middle relievers - Betancourt, Thornton, and N Perez (in a SP spot) keeping 3 closers just in case (Soria, Franklin, Howell), and keeping 2 SP spots open for spot starting. And I'm just praying for those impossible to predict stupid holds (if my offense can't get the job done, which I'm not counting on).

I know its pretty dead here, but I just had to get that off my chest - even if no one reads it :-D
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby swyck » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:53 am

Finished 18 games ahead of second, way behind in the first round. Still close in some cats but a real chance I'm going to get bounced. Why do I play H2H? X-I !+) :~( :*)

It seems every time I finish any season way up in the standings, I'm out the first week. Everyone on my team just lays down and goes to sleep. By contrast I've won the title after just barely squeaking into the playoffs.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby schmidty » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:11 pm

swyck wrote:Finished 18 games ahead of second, way behind in the first round. Still close in some cats but a real chance I'm going to get bounced. Why do I play H2H? X-I !+) :~( :*)

Yeah, I wonder that too. I put in so much time over 5+ months of daily management. Yet when I followup a great season with a playoff week loss, I can't help feeling like a failure.

swyck wrote:It seems every time I finish any season way up in the standings, I'm out the first week. Everyone on my team just lays down and goes to sleep. By contrast I've won the title after just barely squeaking into the playoffs.

I've never won in the playoffs when my team finished 1st. EVER. And this year looks to continue that. I still can't buy a hold to save my life. Just 2 days left to overcome his fluky Lidge hold (and the 0-1 hole). I'm getting desperate. With a 6-1 lead in saves I'm benching all closers for potential holds guys. I dropped my #3 closer (Howell) and Tommy Hanson (painful drop, but its over if I lose this week) to pick up 2 more, for a total of 6 middle relievers. If I'm still behind after today, I think I'll have to drop my other closers (Soria and Franklin) to load up on middle relievers with SP eligibility (like Park). The other semifinal is a blowout, so if I somehow pull out the win I think I can get back some closers (there's only so many closers that other team can want). A short 1 day waiver period helps me get some guys. But I have no confidence ... I just know my team's going to blow this :-t 8 middle relievers in my lineup, and I'll finish with 0 holds :-C
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fbc_fan » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:58 pm

is anyone else getting destroyed by the bos/tb ppd yesterday and the delay today? ugh. they'd better play that double header tomorrow... !+)

edit: oh good, it started after a two hour rain delay.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby schmidty » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:27 am

I GOT THREE HOLDS ON SATURDAY!!!!!! God bless you, Luke Gregerson, LaTroy Hawkins, and Matt Thornton ;-D

I still think holds is a stupid category. Like I have Matt Thornton. He came into a game with a 3-0 lead. He gives up two runs only getting one out, and has to be pulled. But since he left the game with his team still up, he gets a hold. Stupid holds. But that should just about seal the victory for my team. I noticed the other guy has Okajima in a double-header. But he only has 2 holds since the start of August. Just to be on the safe side, I better keep my squadron of holders until after midnight PST (when roster changes affect Monday).
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers