Giambi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby me » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:45 pm

the # of games hes played since '96
me

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Swinger » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:51 pm

I also think that he's underrated for next year. A good hitter doesn't just lose his talent like that. A .250 average can only go up.
I'll stop now before I'm accused of being a Yankees fan- god forbid.
Swinger
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Vladdy the Impaler » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:54 pm

hehe seriously...

Somebody is on the Yankers bandwagon. I see him getting injured and his numbers dropping further.

i'm anything but a yankee fan, but u cant deny talent. if ur league counts holds or OB%, giambi is that much more valuable. even when he's not hitting, he manages to produce with runs and an amazing amount of BBs.
Vladdy the Impaler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:26 pm

Injuries to his knee caused him to develop "holes" in his swing which pitchers were able to exploit last year.

After arthroscopic surgery to fix his knee, I am very optimistic about him returning to his .300 batting average ways.

Now, whether or not he'll jack 40 bombs is left for you guys to decide depending on how you feel about the roids issue.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby frog99 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:37 pm

Vladdy the Impaler wrote:i completely agree 'me'.... hitting 40 HRs isn't exactly an 'off year.'

giambi doesnt get enough credit... sure his avg. was disastrous last year... but that's only cuz of his expectations... his power #'s were just as good as any other 1B, if not better. plus, if u've seen giambi at all in spring training, he looks to be in phenomenal shape and he's making solid contact with every swing. steroids or not, the HR he hit last night was a bomb.

he hasn't hit for average since joning the yankees and i see a drop in home runs. i wouldn't touch him with a stick.

so unbelievably ignorant - his avg was .314 in 2002. i'm telling u - last year was a fluke... as a career .302 hitter, u have to expect the giambino to bounce back nicely with a packed lineup.

i maybe "so unbelievably ignorant" but:
2000-2001 BA: .338 in a pitchers ballpark
2002-2003 BA: .283 in a lefthanded batters park

that is 55 points i consider that a pretty big drop off.

Who is ignorent? as for the home runs... A guy who was on steriods and has now lost pounds of muscle, wouldn't you be ignorent to predict otherwise. I could be wrong but he needs to show me otherwise before i use a second round pick on him.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ajgnydc722 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:35 pm

frog99 wrote:
Vladdy the Impaler wrote:i completely agree 'me'.... hitting 40 HRs isn't exactly an 'off year.'

giambi doesnt get enough credit... sure his avg. was disastrous last year... but that's only cuz of his expectations... his power #'s were just as good as any other 1B, if not better. plus, if u've seen giambi at all in spring training, he looks to be in phenomenal shape and he's making solid contact with every swing. steroids or not, the HR he hit last night was a bomb.

he hasn't hit for average since joning the yankees and i see a drop in home runs. i wouldn't touch him with a stick.

so unbelievably ignorant - his avg was .314 in 2002. i'm telling u - last year was a fluke... as a career .302 hitter, u have to expect the giambino to bounce back nicely with a packed lineup.

Who is ignorent? as for the home runs... A guy who was on steriods and has now lost pounds of muscle, wouldn't you be ignorent to predict otherwise. I could be wrong but he needs to show me otherwise before i use a second round pick on him.

And YOU need to show me where you found out for a fact he was on steroids. The guy is hitting great in spring training from what I've seen of him. And the homer last night was a bomb. He's still driving the ball out of the park in practice and during games. And you also don't know how much muscle he lost. I'm not saying he's accurate with his 4 lbs loss but he said he lost body fat not muscle. He's in great shape.

I agree with Vladdy. Call me whatever you want, an ignorant Yankee fan or whatever. I personally don't care because I know my opinions are fair and impartial even if you don't think so. Giambi will be back to his .300 average. His knee is healthy so far after the surgery and he hit 40 hrs WITH the bad knee. Giambi will be fine.
ajgnydc722
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers