Giambi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Giambi

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:44 pm

Do you guys think that the fact that he is off steriods now will hurt his game, or do you think the lost bulk will help him stay healthy? Does anyone have any predictions on his year? Thanks.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Stand Pat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:14 pm

he stunk it up (especially in average) last year when he was bulky so i hope his leaner figure doesn't play a big factor. hopefully just a bit of a slump
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Giambi

Postby frog99 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:44 pm

Anonymous wrote:Do you guys think that the fact that he is off steriods now will hurt his game, or do you think the lost bulk will help him stay healthy? Does anyone have any predictions on his year? Thanks.

what does losing 30 pounds of muscle do to your game? he hasn't hit for average since joning the yankees and i see a drop in home runs. i wouldn't touch him with a stick.

and steriods generaly help players recover quicker from injuries.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Giambi

Postby Stand Pat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:49 pm

frog99 wrote:
Anonymous wrote: i wouldn't touch him with a stick.

since i took (another!) chance on him, I'm hoping his stick will touch the long ball at least 40 times.

maybe it's the "sampson" effect- if Steinbrenner would let him grow his goatee back, his power will return
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Broncmet724 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:42 pm

I dont think he's lost 30lbs. And with the issues with his knees the weight loss could be attributed to that fact. That being said without his BA hes barely an above average 1B and that only because of the lineup surrounding him in my opinion.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:06 pm

I'm scared of Giambi's knees.

And his "reported" four pound weight loss... He stopped eating fast foods... right... That's why he shrunk to leprechaun size... It's St. Patrick's, he's getting in the mood...

I have quite a few 1B that I would take over Giambi.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby me » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:29 pm

are you guys nuts? in the only off year since becoming a superstar, he still hit 40 hrs last year
me

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby inkubus » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:30 pm

I thought he was Travis Lee when I first saw him.
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Postby Vladdy the Impaler » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:35 pm

i completely agree 'me'.... hitting 40 HRs isn't exactly an 'off year.'

giambi doesnt get enough credit... sure his avg. was disastrous last year... but that's only cuz of his expectations... his power #'s were just as good as any other 1B, if not better. plus, if u've seen giambi at all in spring training, he looks to be in phenomenal shape and he's making solid contact with every swing. steroids or not, the HR he hit last night was a bomb.

he hasn't hit for average since joning the yankees and i see a drop in home runs. i wouldn't touch him with a stick.

so unbelievably ignorant - his avg was .314 in 2002. i'm telling u - last year was a fluke... as a career .302 hitter, u have to expect the giambino to bounce back nicely with a packed lineup.
Vladdy the Impaler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby inkubus » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:41 pm

Vladdy the Impaler wrote:i completely agree 'me'.... hitting 40 HRs isn't exactly an 'off year.'

giambi doesnt get enough credit... sure his avg. was disastrous last year... but that's only cuz of his expectations... his power #'s were just as good as any other 1B, if not better. plus, if u've seen giambi at all in spring training, he looks to be in phenomenal shape and he's making solid contact with every swing. steroids or not, the HR he hit last night was a bomb.

he hasn't hit for average since joning the yankees and i see a drop in home runs. i wouldn't touch him with a stick.

so unbelievably ignorant - his avg was .314 in 2002. i'm telling u - last year was a fluke... as a career .302 hitter, u have to expect the giambino to bounce back nicely with a packed lineup.

Somebody is on the Yankers bandwagon. I see him getting injured and his numbers dropping further.
inkubus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers