Yikes! (SAT scores) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Yikes! (SAT scores)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yikes! (SAT scores)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:26 pm

The national averages dipped a point in reading and math to 501 and 493 respectively, while remaining unchanged in math at 515.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/yahoolatestnews/stories/082609dntexsat.1159341d2.html

That's the national averages? Seriously? 8-o And the error above is the author's, not mine (should be "reading and writing to 501 and 493").

EDITED to add the link...sorry. :*)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yikes! (SAT scores)

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:37 pm

It's not that surprising to me, I know plenty of people that were just happy to break 1000 on verbal and math, and I know a few that couldn't break 900.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:41 pm

The 2009 Nebraska graduates' average reading score of 587 on the SAT was 86 points higher than the 501 national average. Graduates' average math score of 594 was 79 points higher than the 515 national average.

On the writing portion, Nebraska graduates scored 572, much higher than the 493 national average score.

I think our scores could have been higher, but many kids had to stop to hitch up their overalls that was slidin' down during the test takin'.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 pm

Madison wrote:
The national averages dipped a point in reading and math to 501 and 493 respectively, while remaining unchanged in math at 515.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/yahoolatestnews/stories/082609dntexsat.1159341d2.html

That's the national averages? Seriously? 8-o And the error above is the author's, not mine (should be "reading and writing to 501 and 493").

Worry about your own backyard first ;-)
Texas scores slipped two points in reading to 486 and five points in writing to 475, but gained a point in math to 506

Just kidding, Mad. I know you're as critical as can be about the education system down there.

At any rate, 1000 was always considered average when there was a 1600 max that was considered reasonable for most universities, barring the more challenging ones, so 1500 with the newer 2400 max doesn't seem unreasonable. It's a silly test, and colleges and universities across the country are requiring SAT scores for admissions less and less -- this was a big deal when I still lived in Albany right in the home of the NYS Educational Dept. (presumably still is, I just don't live there anymore). But, yeah, the test is a silly one. I myself scored an 1180 when I took it in high school. It was enough for every school I applied to.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:07 pm

knapplc wrote:
The 2009 Nebraska graduates' average reading score of 587 on the SAT was 86 points higher than the 501 national average. Graduates' average math score of 594 was 79 points higher than the 515 national average.

On the writing portion, Nebraska graduates scored 572, much higher than the 493 national average score.

I think our scores could have been higher, but many kids had to stop to hitch up their overalls that was slidin' down during the test takin'.

Those are better. ;-D With the max score being 800 on each, averages should be at least 600 for each (75% of the max) in my opinion. That's why 1,500 shocked me.

bigh0rt wrote:Just kidding, Mad. I know you're as critical as can be about the education system down there.

At any rate, 1000 was always considered average when there was a 1600 max that was considered reasonable for most universities, barring the more challenging ones, so 1500 with the newer 2400 max doesn't seem unreasonable. It's a silly test, and colleges and universities across the country are requiring SAT scores for admissions less and less -- this was a big deal when I still lived in Albany right in the home of the NYS Educational Dept. (presumably still is, I just don't live there anymore). But, yeah, the test is a silly one. I myself scored an 1180 when I took it in high school. It was enough for every school I applied to.

No worries, the article got my attention because it dealt with our (Texas) low scores. Pretty sad. :-/

1,200 seemed to be the measuring stick for college back in my day. Get 1,200 or better and you'd be accepted anywhere and get some scholarship money as well (the higher the score, the bigger the scholarship of course). 1,200 always seemed low in my opinion. Makes 1,000 (or 1,500 on the new version) seem absurdly low to me.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:09 pm

Madison wrote:
knapplc wrote:

Those are better. ;-D With the max score being 800 on each, averages should be at least 600 for each in my opinion. That's why 1,500 shocked me.

bigh0rt wrote:Just kidding, Mad. I know you're as critical as can be about the education system down there.

No worries, the article got my attention because it dealt with our (Texas) low scores. Pretty sad. :-/

1,200 seemed to be the measuring stick for college back in my day. Get 1,200 or better and you'd be accepted anywhere and get some scholarship money as well (the higher the score, the bigger the scholarship of course). 1,200 always seemed low in my opinion. Makes 1,000 (or 1,500 on the new version) seem absurdly low to me.

Well, when you consider that a 1500 out of 2400 is 63%, yeah, it's pretty low. But the biggest problem at play here is not the percentiles being scored on the exam, but the exam itself.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:15 pm

That really isn't that concerning to me. I mean, dropping from 502 to 501 is a change of less than 0.2% Not exactly a major collapse. Also--and I haven't checked the figures for the year that this article is reporting on, so this could be way off--in the last couple of decades the numbers have been dropping because more and more kids are taking the SATs. It used to just be a handful of the top students that were certain they were heading to a college that required a high SAT score for entry. Now nearly everyone takes the SATs, even those who aren't sure if they're going to college or not, those who are going to a community college, and many who are entering the military.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:39 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Well, when you consider that a 1500 out of 2400 is 63%, yeah, it's pretty low. But the biggest problem at play here is not the percentiles being scored on the exam, but the exam itself.

Oh man. You really believe that the test is the problem? It's not the students, parents, and teachers? It's the exam? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong and you're not really shifting the blame to a piece of paper. :-/

Please tell me I didn't read that H0rt! :~(

Art Vandelay wrote:That really isn't that concerning to me. I mean, dropping from 502 to 501 is a change of less than 0.2% Not exactly a major collapse. Also--and I haven't checked the figures for the year that this article is reporting on, so this could be way off--in the last couple of decades the numbers have been dropping because more and more kids are taking the SATs. It used to just be a handful of the top students that were certain they were heading to a college that required a high SAT score for entry. Now nearly everyone takes the SATs, even those who aren't sure if they're going to college or not, those who are going to a community college, and many who are entering the military.

It wasn't the change that surprised me, it was simply how low the scores are. Kids are only getting 63% of the test correct? And they are graduating high school? Yikes! 8-o :-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:That really isn't that concerning to me. I mean, dropping from 502 to 501 is a change of less than 0.2% Not exactly a major collapse. Also--and I haven't checked the figures for the year that this article is reporting on, so this could be way off--in the last couple of decades the numbers have been dropping because more and more kids are taking the SATs. It used to just be a handful of the top students that were certain they were heading to a college that required a high SAT score for entry. Now nearly everyone takes the SATs, even those who aren't sure if they're going to college or not, those who are going to a community college, and many who are entering the military.

I thought I read that less kids were taking the SATs lately? Maybe that's just in Nebraska. I didn't take it as a lad, I took the ACT.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:54 pm

Madison wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Well, when you consider that a 1500 out of 2400 is 63%, yeah, it's pretty low. But the biggest problem at play here is not the percentiles being scored on the exam, but the exam itself.

Oh man. You really believe that the test is the problem? It's not the students, parents, and teachers? It's the exam? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong and you're not really shifting the blame to a piece of paper. :-/

Please tell me I didn't read that H0rt! :~(

I assure you that the SAT exam is a wildly flawed, inaccurate measure of intelligence, ability, or anything else it attempts to measure. It is this reason that many colleges and universities are no longer requiring it as part of the application process. Should the kids be getting higher scores? Of course. But living in a state with more standardized educational tests for its students than any other in the entire U.S., I can apply some of the major downfalls of the system which governs NY and apply them to the SAT (and then some, since the test itself is structured so poorly). When an exam is structured in such a way as the SAT, a completely foreign and silly (my opinion) measure of assessment, that you actually have entire prep courses to learn and strategize over how to take it, then there is obviously a problem.

Again, in spite of all of this, the kids should still be doing better. Although, contrary to all of that, despite what many parents think, many of their children are not only getting a much better education than they believe they are, but also getting a much better one than they themselves got, even though nothing could convince them otherwise. Texas and New York seem like night and day, but I hear many of the same statements, concerns, etc. because it seems like the easy and/or popular thing to do.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk