My First Accident - Need Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My First Accident - Need Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: My First Accident - Need Advice

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:03 am

Metroid wrote:EDIT: As far as what Mad says about voiding your warranty I'd talk to the dealership first and see if that's even the case. It's different from state to state and that's not the case here as far as Shannon knows. She's going to check when she gets to work though. ;-)

I don't know of a single dealership that will extend a warranty to damage repairs unless the dealership is the one who chooses company "X" to repair said damage or they do it themselves. :-S

Couple of examples of what I mean:

I was in a front end collision (almost 20 years ago). Body shop fixed the damage and I got the car back. The day I got it back, I fried a bunch of wiring because the collision had loosened the voltage regulator. The dealership's warranty of course doesn't cover that, makes perfect sense that they wouldn't, it wasn't a flaw in the car, the accident caused the damage. But if the dealership had done the repairs or contracted for the repairs, then it would have been covered.

I also had to replace the hood and have a quarter-panel repaired. Had the paint on either faded in the next few years, the dealership's warranty wouldn't have covered that either, and makes sense again since they didn't paint those parts. The repair place's warranty would have had to, if they even had one to begin with.

So yes, if he wants to keep his dealership warranty intact (and with it being a brand spanking new car I'd assume he'd want to - it's the smart move) then the dealership needs to be involved in the repair process. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:09 am

Yes they do vary from state to state. It is totally possible that he could take a claim out on his insurance and not be at all penalized, either by a deductible or raised rates, just like you. Or he could have to pay a deductible and have his rates increase, like Shannon's did when she took out a claim on her company after she was rear ended.(save the jokes)

It just depends, I still say his safest bet is to avoid notifying his insurance company and just deal with everything through Nationwide.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:12 am

Madison wrote:
Metroid wrote:EDIT: As far as what Mad says about voiding your warranty I'd talk to the dealership first and see if that's even the case. It's different from state to state and that's not the case here as far as Shannon knows. She's going to check when she gets to work though. ;-)

I don't know of a single dealership that will extend a warranty to damage repairs unless the dealership is the one who chooses company "X" to repair said damage or they do it themselves. :-S

Couple of examples of what I mean:

I was in a front end collision (almost 20 years ago). Body shop fixed the damage and I got the car back. The day I got it back, I fried a bunch of wiring because the collision had loosened the voltage regulator. The dealership's warranty of course doesn't cover that, makes perfect sense that they wouldn't, it wasn't a flaw in the car, the accident caused the damage. But if the dealership had done the repairs or contracted for the repairs, then it would have been covered.

I also had to replace the hood and have a quarter-panel repaired. Had the paint on either faded in the next few years, the dealership's warranty wouldn't have covered that either, and makes sense again since they didn't paint those parts. The repair place's warranty would have had to, if they even had one to begin with.

So yes, if he wants to keep his dealership warranty intact (and with it being a brand spanking new car I'd assume he'd want to - it's the smart move) then the dealership needs to be involved in the repair process. ;-D

Totally, that's why I said he should contact the dealership. What I was getting at is that he may not actually have to have the work done at the dealership. They may be flexible and write off on him having the work done at a certified reputable bodyshop. Or they may require him to bring the car to them, I don't know.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:06 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:When someone hit my beamer...

Not having a wife or children is a beautiful thing.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:16 pm

What's the difference between BMW's and porcupines? :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:26 pm

Metroid wrote:What's the difference between BMW's and porcupines? :-D

One has pricks on the outside... :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

One has pricks on the outside... :-b

:-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:38 pm

reminds me of the difference between Cowboy boots and Western boots :-b
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:

reminds me of the difference between Cowboy boots and Western boots :-b

Actually I don't think I've heard that one. :-?
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:16 pm

Wow, thanks for the great and superfast advice!

I think I have my strategy down.

I spoke with my dealership and it sounds like they can do the work. I am going to go there today, have them check it out, and provide and estimate. Then I'll have the estimate in hand when I meet with the adjuster tomorrow.

I don't know if all will go according to plan, but at least I feel good about having a plan.

Thanks again - sure am glad I posted this morning ;-D
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 39)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk