My First Accident - Need Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

My First Accident - Need Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My First Accident - Need Advice

Postby Sticky Spice » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:55 am

I'm the one who started the Cash for Clunkers thread and guess what... what goes around comes around. Before I've even made my first payment some guy backs into my brand new (parked) car :~(

The guy has Nationwide and I am to meet an adjuster at a local body shop tomorrow morning. They are to give me a check for the damage and a voucher for Enterprise.

I am completely new at this and want to protect myself financially as best I can. The Nationwide person I spoke to on the phone asked who I wanted to use and I had no idea so I just said a Hyundai dealership since it is (was) brand new. I don't think they actually have a body shop so I guess they'd just ship it out anyway. I also want to save time and not drag this thing out.

Any advice would be appreciated - thanks guys.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 42)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My First Accident - Need Advice

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:58 am

That's a tough call. It's difficult to find a good mechanic. I was in this town over ten years before I found someone I trust, and even then it's a crapshoot if you don't know much about cars. I would ask your insurance provider if there is a body shop they recommend. Do the whole BBB due diligence stuff, too, and don't hesitate to ask around. You'd be surprised which of your friends may have experience with whomever the insurance company suggests. It can't hurt.

Sorry about your car. :-/
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:07 am

I'd use the dealership you bought the car from. Won't be cheap, but it's on the other guy's insurance, and you'll keep any and all warranty stuff intact (should any paint fade or anything like that).

Had the same thing happen to me a few cars ago (around 10 years ago). Didn't even have the plates for the car yet. Only difference is that no note was left or anything and the car was in a parking lot, so I had no idea who did it. :-/

Sorry to hear about the unfortunate luck, but it could have been worse. At least it will be fixed and not cost you anything. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:20 am

knapplc wrote:I would ask your insurance provider if there is a body shop they recommend.

I dunno, I would not even involve your insurance company, in fact make sure your insurance company has nothing to do with it at all. The last thing you want is for you rates to be adjusted for an accident where you were not at fault. Make sure you do not take any sort of claim out on your company. Seriously man if you want the smoothest ride just do what his insurance company, Nationwide, tells you to do. You want to go to a shop that is under Nationwides umbrella, if you don't you're asking for headaches. If you go to a shop certified by Nationwide, the work can just be done without dealing with adjusters for every little detail. If you decide to go off on your own and go to your own shop, you run the risk of this dragging on and on and on. If the mechanic finds that the job will deviate at all from what the first adjuster finalized then all work has to stop and another adjuster will have to be called out....it can be something as silly as the wrong bolts being ordered and then it's taking a week longer. Of course you can go out on your own, that's your choice. And Nationwide also has to give you a rental car that is equal to your car, don't let them give you some piece of crap.

My girl works in the automotive repair field and is actually the one that deals with insurance companies and adjusters, she highly recommends that you just deal with Nationwide. Oh and make sure not to involve your insurance company. ;-D

Sorry about your car man, these things happen though. :-/

EDIT: As far as what Mad says about voiding your warranty I'd talk to the dealership first and see if that's even the case. It's different from state to state and that's not the case here as far as Shannon knows. She's going to check when she gets to work though. ;-)
Last edited by Metroid on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby knapplc » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:26 am

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:I would ask your insurance provider if there is a body shop they recommend.

I dunno, I would not even involve your insurance company, in fact make sure your insurance company has nothing to do with it at all. The last thing you want is for you rates to be adjusted for an accident where you were not at fault. Make sure you do not take any sort of claim out on your company. Seriously man if you want the smoothest ride just do what his insurance company, Nationwide, tells you to do. You want to go to a shop that is under Nationwides umbrella, if you don't you're asking for headaches. If you go to a shop certified by Nationwide, the work can just be done without dealing with adjusters for every little detail. If you decide to go off on your own and go to your own shop, you run the risk of this dragging on and on and on. If the mechanic finds that the job will deviate at all from what the first adjuster finalized then all work has to stop and another adjuster will have to be called out....it can be something as silly as the wrong bolts being ordered and then it's taking a week longer. Of course you can go out on your own, that's your choice. And Nationwide also has to give you a rental car that is equal to your car, don't let them give you some piece of crap.

My girl works in the automotive repair field and is actually the one that deals with insurance companies and adjusters, she highly recommends that you just deal with Nationwide. Oh and make sure not to involve your insurance company. ;-D

Oops, that's what I meant to say. I said "your insurance company" and I meant "the" insurance company. Doh! :-B
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:31 am

knapplc wrote:Oops, that's what I meant to say. I said "your insurance company" and I meant "the" insurance company. Doh! :-B

I kinda had a feeling that's what you meant. I added an 'EDIT' up there too. Mad brings up a good point to think about regarding his warranty. I'm not 100% sure either way that his warranty will be effected.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:39 am

Metroid wrote:

EDIT: As far as what Mad says about voiding your warranty I'd talk to the dealership first and see if that's even the case. It's different from state to state and that's not the case here as far as Shannon knows. She's going to check when she gets to work though. ;-)

This.

When someone hit my beamer a few weeks after I bought it this was exactly what I was told to do, and is definitely the best bet.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 am

bigh0rt wrote:When someone hit my beamer a few weeks after I bought it this was exactly what I was told to do, and is definitely the best bet.

Yeah the problem with going out on your own is that if the work costs more than the check you were cut, then the insurance company has to be notified and an adjuster has to be called back out. It can take a week or more to get one back out, usually they're pretty snappy for the first claim adjustment but after that they tend to drag their feet.

You totally have the right to go to wherever you want and Nationwide has to foot every penny of the bill, however you are at their mercy and working with them is the best thing you can do. Also even though they are required to give you a rental car that offer is only for so long if you chose to use a mechanic other than one they recommend.

Again I can not stress how much more convenient and less stressful it will be to just play ball with Nationwide. Of course weigh all your options and ask lots of questions. And do call and talk to your dealership, however I'm pretty sure if it's just cosmetic you're fine...just have to make sure you go to a certified mechanic.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 am

dont insurance rules vary state to state?

anyway i always thought if you reported it to your insurance and there is a police report (or you have the other persons insurance info somehow) and they are at fault they will just charge it to them anyway and not penalize you. i know i've had minor accidents that i claimed through my insurance that werent my fault where i didnt have to pay the deductible nor did my rate go up. i even had one that was my fault (i caught my front bumper on a pole backing out of a parking lot at an autozone because it was lower than my SUV...they even came out and told me it happens all the time) ripped it off and dented in my fender. Insurance said i might want to consider not claiming it because my rate would go up...but it was like $1200+ vs my $500 deductible so i claimed it and my rate never went up anyway
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:02 am

bigh0rt wrote:When someone hit my beamer...

Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk