Who is the better keeper?

Cameron Maybin
85%
Trevor Cahill
15%

Total votes : 13

Better Keeper

Postby NYMetsGM » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:17 pm

forget about hitting vs pitching,who would you rather have longterm on your team
NYMetsGM
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better Keeper

Postby nate128 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Gotta go with Maybin..... guys with a ceiling like his don't come around often, and I feel that pitching prospects are a dime a dozen.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:23 am

When in doubt, always go with hitting over pitching in fantasy. It usually works out.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby kab21 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:49 pm

Havok1517 wrote:When in doubt, always go with hitting over pitching in fantasy. It usually works out.

this is a purely lazy response.

I would however go with Maybin however. He made great progress in reducing his K's this year at AAA. He won't hit a lot of HR's because of his extreme GB rate but figure on 10-20. The big question is whether or not he's a 20 SB guy or if he can get 30-40 SB's? If he can get you .285, 180 R+RBI's, 15HR and 25 SB he'll be pretty valuable but I don't think his fantasy ceiling is that high unless he goes crazy stealing bases (which he never has in the minors).

the problem with Cahill is that he's not striking anyone out this year. I see him as a 4.00 ish ERA solid MOR guy in the future which only has value if you play in a really deep league.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 158)

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:24 pm

kab21 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:When in doubt, always go with hitting over pitching in fantasy. It usually works out.

this is a purely lazy response.

I would however go with Maybin however. He made great progress in reducing his K's this year at AAA. He won't hit a lot of HR's because of his extreme GB rate but figure on 10-20. The big question is whether or not he's a 20 SB guy or if he can get 30-40 SB's? If he can get you .285, 180 R+RBI's, 15HR and 25 SB he'll be pretty valuable but I don't think his fantasy ceiling is that high unless he goes crazy stealing bases (which he never has in the minors).

the problem with Cahill is that he's not striking anyone out this year. I see him as a 4.00 ish ERA solid MOR guy in the future which only has value if you play in a really deep league.

+1. Also just wanted to chip in quick that since Maybin's return call he has looked pretty good. 6-16 over the last week with 7R 1HR 4RBI. Still no SB or even attempts yet this week, but I'm sure they will come in time. I remember a couple years back he was the hot topic and kind of cooled when he hit the majors, but I still have to think the very best is yet to come.

Cahill, I've rostered him for some periods of time in some leagues but like kab said hes just not King anyone right now. He is just way too up and down of a pitcher for me, goes out one night and goes 7+ strong giving up 1-2 ER then follows it up with 3-5IP giving up 7ER. I personally think he will be a pitcher who next year will be on the wrong side of a mid-4 ERA. Until he lowers his BB totals I think it will be a rough road for him (so far this year your looking at a 64:79 BB:W total). Again hes still super young and is still gaining valuable experience, but I would definitely like to give Maybin a 2nd look next year over him.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Minor League & College Baseball