Brandon Allen called up - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Brandon Allen called up

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Brandon Allen called up

Postby nate128 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Diamondbacks optioned Whitesell back to AAA and are bringing up Allen. If you are in a dynasty league, definitely someone to target based on his very high power potential. Will be auditioning to be the 2010 first basemen. Should hit the Yahoo database fairly soon.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Brandon Allen called up

Postby warner892001 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:54 am

what is he capable of doing? Can he hit 35hrs and 120 RBIs in a season. Can you tell me a little bit about him?

Do you like him better than Yonder Alonso?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby 18 and 1 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:21 pm

I picked him up on 8/17 hoping he would get called up.

He hit .324 with 12 home runs and 32 RBI in 38 games at Reno.

Brandon Allen
Born 1/12/1986 (23 years old)
1B, ARZ

A hulking first baseman from Texas, Allen has serious pop in his bat. Drafted out of high school back in 2004, Allen has done nothing but grow bigger and hit baseballs farther and farther ever since. He hit .283/.337/.483 for Kannapolis last year, with 18 homers and 124 strikeouts in 516 ABs. While he struggled against lefties, he destroyed righthanders to the tune of a .656 slugging percentage. He's still got a ways to go in the plate discipline and fielding departments before he's ready for the bigs, but when he arrives in the big league, it should be with a great big crunching sound. A trade to Arizona opens up a wider opportunity for Allen, a team that lacks any serious power corner prospects.
18 and 1
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warner892001 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:28 pm

How does he compare to Justin Smoak and Yonder Alonso?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Y`s Guy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:13 pm

His BAs each year are less than stellar. Screams .230 - .240 for next year if he plays much at all. Love that power, tho.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby MaudDib » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:43 am

Smoak should be the better player. Smoak has shown a great eye with good power and avg. Plus he is pretty good at D. Allen should give the power similar to Smoak if not a little better but his AVG will probably be under .300. I have not been a big fan of Alonso so I can't really compare him.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby nate128 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:25 pm

I don't really know why there is so much hype surrounding Smoak, he's been pretty disastrous in AAA so far this year. Alonso is also a very underrated prospect who gets no love. Allen is obviously not the same level prospect as the other 2 right now, but what happens in the future changes easily.
nate128
College Coach
College Coach

Postby warner892001 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:24 am

I have one more question about Brandon Allen. I keep hearing about his power numbers, and I like that because my team doesnt have that many homers- im pretty certain im last in the league in homers

I keep hearing though that he has a low batting average. Is carlos pena on the Rays someone to compare him to? Lots of power low batting average lots of K's?

If not who would you compare him to at the MLB level?
warner892001
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:32 pm

warner892001 wrote:I have one more question about Brandon Allen. I keep hearing about his power numbers, and I like that because my team doesnt have that many homers- im pretty certain im last in the league in homers

I keep hearing though that he has a low batting average. Is carlos pena on the Rays someone to compare him to? Lots of power low batting average lots of K's?

If not who would you compare him to at the MLB level?

First off I don't know too too much about Allen, just from reading some scouting reports and checking out his stats. But if so far in the majors is any insight on his career he could potentially be a Pena with a little less power and a worse average. I don't think tho that the Pena comparison is actually to far off, he may hover around a Pena average with a few less dingers.

stat line so far on the Major's Scene:
11/54, 9R, 3HR, 8RBI, 0SB, .271OBP, .444SLG, .716OPS

Also looking at the numbers kind of a funny stat line, of the 11 hits so far 7 are for extra bases (3HR, 4Doubles). But then you look at total ABs compared to Ks and you get 54ABs compared to 21Ks, that about 40% of his ABs ending on a 3rd strike and he adds only 5 walks to that total.

I'm not big on this kid at all, I personally think Smoak (yes even with all the hype) will be a much better option over Allen.

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Minor League & College Baseball