What is an affordable wine? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What is an affordable wine?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What is an affordable wine?

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:02 am

haha

there have been many blindfold wine tests, google for them.

most people can't tell the difference between expensive and cheap wine anyways. many recent tests showed people tend to prefer cheap wines when they weren't told the price. even when they were given the same wine and told it's different, they couldn't tell.

a lot of people judge wine by their price. i wonder how they fare in these tests.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby urbanbreez » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:37 am

BitterDodgerFan wrote:haha

there have been many blindfold wine tests, google for them.

most people can't tell the difference between expensive and cheap wine anyways. many recent tests showed people tend to prefer cheap wines when they weren't told the price. even when they were given the same wine and told it's different, they couldn't tell.

a lot of people judge wine by their price. i wonder how they fare in these tests.

You'd have to be a real wine snob to estimate the cost of a particular bottle of wine by taste alone. It's a cool skill but I'd wager that most of us here would be unable to perform that task. Although some of us, *cough* Yoda *cough* will try to claim otherwise. I've had very expensive bottles of wine that were simply not enjoyable and "cheap" wine that I love to drink. Maybe I'm ghetto, or maybe, just maybe, I've found a blend I like and it doesn't happen to cost much. Lucky me.

After years of wine drinking and the completion of several wine tours through oxnard county, I can still only sometimes Identify the flavors in a particular bottle. It's a hard thing to do. I'd put my wine ID skills at about a 6/10. Meaning I can guess some of the ingredients correctly in 6 out of 10 bottles.

Here is the wine wheel, for red wine: http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/wine/aroma-chart5.asp

I happen to not like some of the more bitter tasting varieties. I like spice and apple blends with a hint of oak and smoke flavor.

Oh yeah, and if you're getting into wine, watch the movie Sideways.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:53 am

The best wine? Free wine.....and I've had plenty tonight. nuff said. :-D
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:51 am

urbanbreez wrote:You'd have to be a real wine snob to estimate the cost of a particular bottle of wine by taste alone. It's a cool skill but I'd wager that most of us here would be unable to perform that task. Although some of us, *cough* Yoda *cough* will try to claim otherwise. I've had very expensive bottles of wine that were simply not enjoyable and "cheap" wine that I love to drink.

Yoda wrote:Keep in mind that expensive wine doesn't necessarily mean it's better.

Reading comprehension FTL!
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:01 am

StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:50 pm

Hey, Polar Bear, what I would suggest is look up some local wineries. Take that special lady out there and do some wine tasting. It's not only a pleasant experience, but you'll find a local business to support and likely a few nice wines. Most wineries also provide their wines at various local stores as well. That's what we've done with a local winery here called Soaring Wings. Great tasting wine and it tastes that much better knowing it's a local business I'm supporting. ;-D
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Hey, Polar Bear, what I would suggest is look up some local wineries. Take that special lady out there and do some wine tasting. It's not only a pleasant experience, but you'll find a local business to support and likely a few nice wines. Most wineries also provide their wines at various local stores as well. That's what we've done with a local winery here called Soaring Wings. Great tasting wine and it tastes that much better knowing it's a local business I'm supporting. ;-D

This is an excellent suggestion. ;-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AquaMan2342 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:17 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Hey, Polar Bear, what I would suggest is look up some local wineries. Take that special lady out there and do some wine tasting. It's not only a pleasant experience, but you'll find a local business to support and likely a few nice wines. Most wineries also provide their wines at various local stores as well. That's what we've done with a local winery here called Soaring Wings. Great tasting wine and it tastes that much better knowing it's a local business I'm supporting. ;-D

Am I the only one who is reading in between the lines on this one??? :-D :-D :-b
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:21 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:

Am I the only one who is reading in between the lines on this one??? :-D :-D :-b

Yeah, I often take my wife out for a nice afternoon of "supporting local business," if you know what I mean.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:24 pm

Your wife goes with you to the brothels??? 8-o
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk