What is an affordable wine? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

What is an affordable wine?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What an good affordable wine?

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:44 am

Nobody's mentioned Thunderbird yet? That and Night Train always get the job done.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:26 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Nobody's mentioned Thunderbird yet? That and Night Train always get the job done.

If getting the job done means a 48 hour headache and temporary blindness then yeah Night Train and Thunderbird get the job done. :-b

Man that stuff tastes like nail polish remover mixed gasoline and and a little rubbing alcohol. %-6
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Re: What is an affordable wine?

Postby Polar Bear » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:40 am

This is some great information. I can't say this enough, but I am clueless when it comes to wine. I actually pulled out a legal pad and wrote down all the brand names.

JT thanks for the tip on the wine tasting tour, there are a couple places around here that do that and I never even thought of it.

Now what about mixing foods and wine? What goes good with different wines? I know much of it boils down to personal taste, but is there a general rule to some of it?
Polar Bear
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:42 am

Generally speaking you drink reds with meat and whites with fish. However, I tend to drink mostly whites in the summer since they are chilled and reds in the winter.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:44 am

Polar Bear wrote:This is some great information. I can't say this enough, but I am clueless when it comes to wine. I actually pulled out a legal pad and wrote down all the brand names.

JT thanks for the tip on the wine tasting tour, there are a couple places around here that do that and I never even thought of it.

Now what about mixing foods and wine? What goes good with different wines? I know much of it boils down to personal taste, but is there a general rule to some of it?

i think in general Red goes with red meat and salmon and heavier fish and tomato based pasta, white goes with chicken, pork veal and lighter fish and other types of pasta

maybe check this out http://www.wineintro.com/food/

but honestly just drink what you like ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Metroid » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Yup and don't cook with any wine you wouldn't drink. ;-)
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:10 pm

Metroid wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Nobody's mentioned Thunderbird yet? That and Night Train always get the job done.

If getting the job done means a 48 hour headache and temporary blindness then yeah Night Train and Thunderbird get the job done. :-b

haha...you're not lying. I think the worst hangover of my life was off of Night Train. Actually, second worst, but yeah, that stuff is horrible.

For a real suggestion, check out the Pinot from Romililly. It's a little pricey (about $30/bottle), but it a really good Pinot. In the interest of full disclosure, it's a label that two of my good friends started, but I'd plug it despite that. It's hard to find outside of No. Cal., but you can order it online if you're interested: www.romililly.com.

I'm no oenophile, but, all things being equal, I generally prefer petite sirah over any other style of wine. If you haven't already, and you like reds, check it out. I've had some pretty good ones in the $12 range.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:32 pm

I've seen some really bad advice given about wines before, but pretty much everyone here is right on the mark. Lots of good info for a beginner, and remember - we were all beginners once, Polar Bear.

As far as wine pairings go, that's kind of becoming a myth, too. In general reds will taste better to most with red meat, red sauce and heavier, spicier foods in general while whites will go with cheeses, salads, white fish, etc. But there are some who like to mix foods and wines, and that's just fine. I've made a pink sauce from a cabernet and alfredo that was really good, so it depends on your taste.

Wine is no more difficult to learn about and appreciate than beer. It's as varied as beer and as enjoyable in its way. There's some stigma about wine that makes it less approachable for most people than beer, but it's not. It's easy to learn about and develop a taste for.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:09 pm

Chateau de mweir145 :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:46 pm

wine.woot.com usually has some pretty good selections for a pretty good price.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk