Dead Weight: Hitters - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Dead Weight: Hitters

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Dead Weight: Hitters

Postby WebHamster » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:15 am

This thread contains comments on Cary James's Article "Dead Weight: Hitters", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on August 20, 2009. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 773)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dead Weight: Hitters

Postby makewayhomer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:54 pm

lol this is one of the worst columns I have ever read.

Dump Pedroia and replace him with Delwyn Young?

Pedroia has 66 (!!!) more runs, 16 more RBI, 4 more HR's, and 13 SB's

that is a grand canyon sized gap between the 2 in Runs and SB's, and a nice little edge in RBI & HR

Young has a nice edge in AVG, 17 points

that means Pedroia is probably only, what, 3x as valuable?
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:00 am

Nobody gives credit to the writer who decides to think out of the box and take a risk. Fact is that Pedroia has been a huge disappointment this season. I can see both sides of the argument, but I give credit to the writer for being bold.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby makewayhomer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:56 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Nobody gives credit to the writer who decides to think out of the box and take a risk. Fact is that Pedroia has been a huge disappointment this season. I can see both sides of the argument, but I give credit to the writer for being bold.

unless you have a category for "disappointment" then it's irrelevant. what is relevant is the players actual stats. not relevant are how those stats compare to what you hoped, your shoe size, or how many lollipops you ate today.

Ryan Howard and Matt Holliday have also been disappointing; think they are being traded for Delwyn Young in many leagues?

if I traded Pedroia for Young in my league I would probably be tossed for collusion. that's a pretty good litmus test to decide if a suggestion is "bold" or "ludicrously dumb"
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AquaMan2342 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:26 pm

unless you have a category for "disappointment" then it's irrelevant. what is relevant is the players actual stats. not relevant are how those stats compare to what you hoped, your shoe size, or how many lollipops you ate today.

You're joking right? People spent second and third round picks on Pedroia, and he's not even a top five second baseman this season, and he's really not been any good all season. That's relevant.

Ryan Howard and Matt Holliday have also been disappointing; think they are being traded for Delwyn Young in many leagues?

You're joking right?

if I traded Pedroia for Young in my league I would probably be tossed for collusion. that's a pretty good litmus test to decide if a suggestion is "bold" or "ludicrously dumb"

If you play fantasy based on name value, then sure maybe you'd be tossed. Young's numbers have been above average since May and his post ASB 5X5 numbers have been better than Pedroia's so far. Using his overall stats this season is simply skewing the numbers because that's what's not relevant right now.

Again, I never said I agreed with the writer of the article. I just give him credit for having the balls to give some higher risk advice for once instead of playing it conservatively.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby Tom Sellecks Beautiful Mustache » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:42 pm

Glad to see this provoked some discussion. Again, I'm not saying drop Pedroia for Delwyn Young. Since I've written this article he's slumped badly and Pedroia has picked his play up.

If you'd rather read another article about how great Jeter, Pedroia and other MI's are, be my guest. Instead of patting myself on the back, I like to line up the stats and take some chances with my bench.

Also, it's hilarious when your first round stud is hitting worse than a waiver turd. Juan Uribe, still out-producing the likes of Ian Kinsler. Insane.
Tom Sellecks Beautiful Mustache
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Cafe Writer

Return to Article Discussions