Ubaldo Jimenez for real? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ubaldo Jimenez for real?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ubaldo Jimenez for real?

Postby KrazyA428 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 am

He has been one of the most consistent pitchers in the league this season. All of his vital signs show vast improvement from last year -

BB/9 is down over a full point from last year, and K/9 is up a little bit as well. Opponents are also hitting only .230 off of him this year. His BABIP is also right where it should be - not too low or too high - sitting right around .290.

As a result, he's put together some solid statistics so far this year. My question is, do you guys think he will keep it up for the rest of the season and become a top 5 or 10 starter next season?
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ubaldo Jimenez for real?

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:32 am

Well he's the 20th ranked pitcher according to Yahoo and 18th according to ESPN. As you have shown his success is sustainable and he has more upside if he can lower his BB/9, I'm not sure how much better he will ever get than he is right now. I'd probably draft him around the 18th-20th pitcher, I wouldn't want him being the anchor of my staff though since he doesn't have enough of a track record.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby oddmanout7 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 am

He throws in the mid 90s with a fastball that is averaging 95.9mph this season. Just to put that in perspective, Fangraphs has Justin Verlander who is known to have one of the best fastballs in the league, with an average fastball of 95.5mph.

He generates a good number of GB with 52.1% this season and 51.9% over his career. He has great K numbers, and his BB/9 has been improving. I really believe he is for real. Though it seems he's been around for awhile, he's still only 25. I don't think he gets the recognition because of people still fearing the "Coors Effect," but I see Ubaldo as a good #2, and a great #3.
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:47 am

Yea the kids only 25. he throws 100 mph at times. He was hitting 99 in the 8th inning of his last start.

He's learned how to pitch in a few different ways. I think mentally he's growing and apparently he's a workout freak.

Anyways if he's striking out people he sticks with a totally different strategy then if he didn't have his best stuff.

Last night looked like he was going to get rocked and he let up 2 runs. This happens to him alot. He settles down or changes his plan. I think he's a #1 starter on many teams. As he gets more confidence I think he'll grow
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby fezzik » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 pm

After drafting E. Santana and Kazmir to anchor my staff in one league, Ubaldo and Wandy really picked up the slack.

His stuff is superb and his peripherals point to him being quite real. As noted, a continued improvement on his BB/9 would make him even more valuable...if he does that he could become a top 10 pitcher...but he doesn't need to do that to remain effective, just to further improve.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:51 pm

i think Ubaldo is definitely for real... i had him last year and he was iffy at best in alot of his starts then great in a few others, but was way too streaky to start in h2h leagues. going out and giving up 2ER and King 8-10 is sweet but he seemed to follow it up with a couple 4-5+ER with 5BB and a K or 2, where as this year he has turned that around. hes been much, much less streaky and actually. hes actually on a 5 game win streak and hasn't lost a game, in seven starts, since the all-start break. hes 4-0 with a 1.47ERA this month alone with a 25:11 K:BB Ratio over that time and since the allstar break hes 5-0 with a 2.49ERA. but i think the most impressing stat from him this year compared to previous years is this: hes pitched at least 6 innings in 21 consecutive starts. his worst stretch of the season came in his 2nd, 3rd and 4th starts where he was at Chicago (when they were actually healthy) at the Dodgers and back home against the Dodgers, since those three games tho his K #s have increased start to start and walks have been more in control. i think Jimenez in a deeper keeper league or a league that keeps a higher number is a shoe in as a keeper on your squad for sure, IMO he has potential to be a top #2 or even a low, low end #1...

Great thanks to soto for the sweet sig!...
bazzy_51
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby fbc_fan » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:19 pm

acsguitar wrote:Yea the kids only 25. he throws 100 mph at times. He was hitting 99 in the 8th inning of his last start.

He's learned how to pitch in a few different ways. I think mentally he's growing and apparently he's a workout freak.

Anyways if he's striking out people he sticks with a totally different strategy then if he didn't have his best stuff.

Last night looked like he was going to get rocked and he let up 2 runs. This happens to him alot. He settles down or changes his plan. I think he's a #1 starter on many teams. As he gets more confidence I think he'll grow

this. also, his stuff was always for real. his control, not so much. we're seeing what he can do with consistent control, and it is filthy.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:17 pm

acsguitar wrote:Yea the kids only 25. he throws 100 mph at times. He was hitting 99 in the 8th inning of his last start.

Sounds a lot like Verlander. Verlander has cut down on his walks considerably this season and the results are obvious. If Ubaldo can continue to do the same, he will be a top pitcher.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:34 pm

A little off-topic but I noticed on Fangraphs that Colorado's starting five has only missed a combined three starts this season. I think that says a lot about how productive a pitching staff can be when you are fortunate enough to limit injuries.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby acsguitar » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:02 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:A little off-topic but I noticed on Fangraphs that Colorado's starting five has only missed a combined three starts this season. I think that says a lot about how productive a pitching staff can be when you are fortunate enough to limit injuries.

True...Also note that 3 of the top 10 Ground Ball pitchers are on the Rockies. Ubaldo, Cook, Marquis. I think Hammel and De La Rosa are like top 30.

His scouting reports basically say that the guy has outstanding upside
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers