Carlos Gonzalez, OF COL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Gonzalez, OF COL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Carlos Gonzalez, OF COL

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Road vs home also is NOT equal. You play your home games in 1 park you play your away games in 16 parks.

Cargo has a .908 OPS in the stadium with the 2nd most AB's for him Overall: Thats PETCO

His Numbers are all over the place on the road depending on PARK.

Votto for example is way more consistent but he has a Worse OPS at home then he does in his next 3 Parks by # of AB's. Does this mean we should deduct points from him because he doens't contribute as much in the place he plays the MOST games.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Fallout » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:12 pm

CS3---
I would have ignored your post if it wasn't for your mocking tone, and despite my willingness to qualify my argument, that is, to make it clear that although Gonzalez' walk rate is poor, his other numbers are right there with the other elite players (which they are and I did point out that he should be recognized for that), you seemed to have misconstrued my argument into a simple "Omg Gonzalez doesnt walk he sucks!!"

It is very easy to laugh at an argument if you ignore many facets of it--so I will make it clear as to what I believe, and that is: That Gonzalez' numbers are for the most part, fantastic, and sit atop or very near the top for hitters in the NL. That is given. What I am saying, and I hope this is clear, is that unlike the other top hitters in the NL, Gonzalez' walks are putrid, and that should be taken into consideration when evaluating him for the MVP, just like it should be taken into consideration that he plays a more demanding position and plays it well, and that he also steals bases.

Perhaps I should've focused more on OBP over walk rate, and, as you know, OBP is a combination of hits and walks. So, even with his higher avg, all those lovely hits, and runs and rbis which are partially luck-driven, Gonzalez' OBP is still dwarfed by that of Pujols and Votto. No, walks aren't everything--but they are not some minuscule part of baseball that should be overlooked or do not matter.
Fallout
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby cs3 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Fallout wrote:CS3---
That Gonzalez' numbers are for the most part, fantastic, and sit atop or very near the top for hitters in the NL. That is given. What I am saying, and I hope this is clear, is that unlike the other top hitters in the NL, Gonzalez' walks are putrid, and that should be taken into consideration when evaluating him for the MVP, just like it should be taken into consideration that he plays a more demanding position and plays it well, and that he also steals bases.

Perhaps I should've focused more on OBP over walk rate, and, as you know, OBP is a combination of hits and walks. So, even with his higher avg, all those lovely hits, and runs and rbis which are partially luck-driven, Gonzalez' OBP is still dwarfed by that of Pujols and Votto. No, walks aren't everything--but they are not some minuscule part of baseball that should be overlooked or do not matter.

that is a much more well thought out argument than what you wrote before, so ill give you credit for that.
i just tend to think that while walk rate may be a good indicator of what a player will be capable of in the future, it should not take away from anything else he has accomplished so far.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers