Need holds.......BAD - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Need holds.......BAD

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need holds.......BAD

Postby cards_fan_8537 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:37 pm

Don't know really how to gauge a pitcher's potential as far as holds go, but I know that I don't have a P with more than 5 right now, and its a P category which is where I'm weakest. Any advice on sleepers for this stat that would possibly be available? I have Farnsworth on waivers till 3/19, but I've been told to not expect many from him. The ones available as FA with good totals from last year are Grimsly, Romero, and Eyre. Any of these a good pick up? BTW I have an open roster slot that is slated for Farnsworth. Is there anyone that would be worth dropping another player?

My team:
10 team yahoo roto league
Scoring: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, W, L, SV, K, HLD, ERA, WHIP

C: J. Varitek
1B: M. Sweeney
2B: A. Soriano
3B: S. Rolen
SS: É. Rentería
OF: V. Wells
OF: C. Jones
OF: T. Nixon
Util: J. Rollins
BN: T. Hunter
BN: B. Wilkerson
BN: M. Alou

SP: B. Colón
SP: C. Sabathia
SP: R. Wolf
P: R. Ortiz
RP: K. Escobar
RP: B. Wagner
RP: J. Isringhausen
BN: B. Sheets
BN: M. Buehrle
cards_fan_8537
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cards_fan_8537 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:52 pm

Shameless BUMP :-D
cards_fan_8537
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Stand Pat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:08 pm

don't base your holds candidates primarily on last yr's stats. look for who are the primary setup men for each team. e.g., worrell for philly, mota for gagne, donnelly for anaheim, bradford for oakland, valverde for arizona.

i'd dump sheets or buehrle for a holds pitcher. even better, trade one of them away for a holds pitcher.
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby swarmee » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:11 pm

Stand Pat wrote:i'd dump sheets or buehrle for a holds pitcher. even better, trade one of them away for a holds pitcher.

Agreed. I'd grab either Hawkins, Gordon, or someone like that, as well as Brad Lidge and most Athletics middle relievers. Ray King in St. Louis and Alfonseca in Atlanta will also get a lot of holds this year.
Another Year, Another Championship. I'm 2 for 2.
swarmee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby cards_fan_8537 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. ;-D
cards_fan_8537
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cards_fan_8537 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:30 pm

Just picked up Mota as a FA to fill in the empty roster spot. Good move? :-o And what do you think would be the best move as far as trading. Is Donnely worth one of my SP straight up? Or could Escobar get me anything?
cards_fan_8537
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Stand Pat » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:02 pm

cards_fan_8537 wrote:Just picked up Mota as a FA to fill in the empty roster spot. Good move? :-o And what do you think would be the best move as far as trading. Is Donnely worth one of my SP straight up? Or could Escobar get me anything?

you should value stud holds pitchers like you value stud closers. the studs will be 4 category pitchers (and some may even be 5 category if they pick up a decent amount of vulture wins). Donnelly *should* be a stud- he has really low ratios and a nice strikeout rate. think of it this way- if you need a holds pitcher, you're gonna have to dump someone else to get them anyway. with that in mind, donnelly is definitely worth getting for one of your lower tier SP. Kelvim, I would be inclined to wait how he does in his new role. He should have good run support.

good pickup on mota. he also *should* be a stud with quantrill gone, although the recent reports of tendinitis should be followed closely.
Stand Pat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:22 pm

Farnsworth is a good holds sleeper, since Remlinger is now out. I'd expect him to be a strong candidate for holds and he has a great K rate.

I've posted several threads ranking holders, which you should be able to search for. I haven't updated it, but it's still decent.

Mota has had some injury concerns this last week. I don't know if I'd count on him. It could be nothing, but I tend to be very leery of any pitcher having problems.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers