Fire Sales...how to handle? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fire Sales...how to handle?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fire Sales...how to handle?

Postby Bferryvt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:06 pm

I've got a 12-team keeper league, haven't dealt with this situation in the past but one team is selling off to build up for next year, which I'm for, and traded him Hanley in a package for Cain Bay and Ubaldo. Now he has a trade that was accepted, where he is giving ARod, Ervin Santana, and Tejada for DWright whos out for the season...let it go? League was riled up by my trade, which I still think I lost on giving up Hanley and getting back fourth rounders, but Wright(DL) for ARod ++? Thoughts? Stay out of it?
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fire Sales...how to handle?

Postby SumG » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:35 pm

Yeah, you can't let yours go then veto this one, that's just hypocritical. That said, dump trades can be a real annoyance in keeper leagues, but they can't be banned. The best thing I can think of to discourage stuff that's as bad as that is to increase the number of keepers. If there's only a couple of keepers per team (which I assume is what you have) then you get massive dump trades to get one or two guys. If you have to keep 5-8 guys, its harder to put a package together to get a top-10 player next year without leaving a hole in or 5th or 6th keeper slots.
SumG
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Merlin401 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Bferryvt wrote:I've got a 12-team keeper league, haven't dealt with this situation in the past but one team is selling off to build up for next year, which I'm for, and traded him Hanley in a package for Cain Bay and Ubaldo. Now he has a trade that was accepted, where he is giving ARod, Ervin Santana, and Tejada for DWright whos out for the season...let it go? League was riled up by my trade, which I still think I lost on giving up Hanley and getting back fourth rounders, but Wright(DL) for ARod ++? Thoughts? Stay out of it?

Wait... You pillaged his team and its ok because he's rebuilding his team for next year.

Then someone else pillages his team and its not fair because he's dumping players?

I'm actually going to stop and let you draw the logical conclusions...
Merlin401
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bferryvt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:22 pm

I understand the "hypocracy" aspect of this, but can't really go back. To be honest though, a #2 player for two fourth round picks isnt pillaging. But regardless, how to avoid dumping like this. We're at 6 keepers, but I suppose moving the trade deadline back would prevent a lot of this.
Bferryvt
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Phantom » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:19 am

As long as both teams are trying to improve, for this year or the future, the percieved "fairness" of a trade doesn't matter at all. This happens in real baseball all the time. Bad trades, lopsided trades, and prospect trades are part of fantasy and live baseball. Get over it and move on, or kick the guy out of the league. Those are your two valid options.
Phantom
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:00 pm

I don't see the problem with dealing E. Santana and Tejada with A-Rod for Wright. Santana has been pretty disappointing all season and Tejada is not even worth a top 10 round pick next year. I really just see them as throw-ins for this trade. Wright has had a down year, but he is a lot younger than A-Rod and doesn't have the hip problem that could potentially put A-Rod out of action for a long time as some point.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigmck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:48 pm

If you don't want too many uneven trades use a salary cap. We have $260 on Auction Day and $290 during the season. It allows for a few uneven trades, but limits them.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Return to Commissioner's Corner