How likely is it that Beltran gets traded, and when? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How likely is it that Beltran gets traded, and when?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How likely is it that Beltran gets traded, and when?

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:24 pm

I keep hearing reports that Beltran will get traded some time later this year. People talk about it like it's a done deal, but I figure it depends, at the least, on whether the Royals are in the playoff hunt. But if he DOES get traded, I'm nervous: his away batting average is very ordinary (.283 in 03 and .257 in 02). I really like the guy, but if he gets traded to a team that plays in a pitchers' park does he become a .275 hitter? And how likely is it that he'll get traded? And to which team? (Please don't say LA.) Thanks!

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:10 pm

I don't think KC has a very good chance of resigning him so I think its very likely that he will be traded at some point this year. Beats losing him outright.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djacks » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:10 pm

As a Royals fan I'm hoping their in the AL Central race and don't trade him at all... :-°

If he's traded there's no telling where he'll go...Mets?...Dodgers?...but knowing the Royals history I would put my money on the A's...following the footsteps of Johnny Damon and Jermaine Dye...its hard telling...I don't think anyone will offer the Royals anything worthwhile so they might as well sit on him this year and let him leave as a FA... :~(
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:15 pm

Although the Mets seem to have interest in him I don't see them in contention and in a position to make a trade for Beltran. There's several teams that have been reported to have interest and I bet there will be more as the season winds down. I imagine some team will be willing to trade talented prospects in exchange for Beltran.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:18 pm

He will stay unless the Royals just completly fall out of the race, then he will go in the off season and the Royals will get their extra first round draft pick.

Friendliness: %

Postby frog99 » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:22 pm

not to the dodgers, (at least not now) the KC GM said that he would turn down an offer of E. JAckson for Beltran.

There was some talk last july about a possible damon for Beltran trade (which pressuable would have involed prospects like Youkils or shoppach), but that seems unlikely right now.
Image The Glory Days.
frog99
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:53 pm

The only way I can see Beltran going anywhere is if the Royals fall out of the race. And in the Central Division it'd be pretty hard to fall out of the race. I mean you'd have to be Tiger bad to fall out of that race. But if they do then I'm betting Yankees. They always seem to get their man. And I don't think by midseason they will be too thrilled with the Bernie Kenny combo in centre.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arrowhead Nation » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:15 pm

Only problem with NYY...who do they give KC thats young enough to be worth it??? KC wants young guys, for example if he went to OAK I am sure they would ask for Harden, or in that LA deal, Allard Baird wanted Jackson AND someone else....he knows what Beltran is worth.
Arrowhead Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby TheRawDAWG » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:28 pm

kcbelieves wrote:Only problem with NYY...who do they give KC thats young enough to be worth it??? KC wants young guys, for example if he went to OAK I am sure they would ask for Harden, or in that LA deal, Allard Baird wanted Jackson AND someone else....he knows what Beltran is worth.

Yeah I thought about that. They are definately bare in the prospect department. But they always seem to get the guy they're going for. But you're right they don't have the bodies to make it happen probably. I guess the Yankee fans will have to wait until he's a free agent this off season.
Barry Bonds for US president.
TheRawDAWG
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby stumpak » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:30 pm

I would not discount the Yankees just because they don't have a top flight prospect. The Royals will have very little leverage if they make a deal, because every team trading with them knows that the other option is to not get zero by not trading Beltran before he walks. Compensating the Royals with prospects equal to Beltran's value is not the issue, the Yankees will only need to offer something better than the handful of other teams that will be pursuing him down the stretch.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers