pga championship - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

pga championship

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: pga championship

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:03 am

knapplc wrote:Art, yes, it's always like that when you watch a Tiger tournament. Even when he's four strokes off the lead, he gets a lot of air. When he's winning, he probably gets about 70-80% of the air.

I'm not even talking about the amount of air-time he gets--of course they're going to show every shot he takes--I'm talking about the commentary. It was as if he was the home team and you were watching a local broadcast. The one that sticks out the most was when he sailed the green on 17 (I think) and they made excuse after excuse and basically said everything but "bad shot" or "wrong club." They literally placed more blame for that on the green than on Tiger.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:15 am

OK, sorry I wasn't clear. Yes, Tiger gets that kind of commentary and blatant homerism every tournament he's in, even if he's several shots off the lead. And while it may not be something you'd want to do while wearing your "journalistic integrity" hat, it's what happens, every tournament. Ratings skyrocket when Tiger is in the hunt on Sunday, so they're pandering to the casual Tiger-watching audience.

After Yang sank that chip, and increasingly after each successive hole and Tiger didn't catch him, I kept thinking about Yang's family watching this broadcast overseas, wondering if they were getting the same broadcast but with subtitles, and I was wondering how they felt about the Tiger coverage when Yang was in the lead.

And regarding 17 - they were right. Tiger played a shot that should have drawn straight back to the pin. As it was in the air they were gushing about the shot, and Tiger knocked it stiff. The green was hard, releasing the ball, and it didn't get the spin it should have. Probably the wind dried out the green more than Tiger thought (mweir, help here if you can). But it was the perfect shot at the perfect time, and should have pulled him even with Yang. Instead, a completely unexpected result happened, and that hole as much as any other cost Tiger the tournament.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 am

Meh. a "perfect shot" wouldn't have ended up over the green. It sounds like Tiger and Stevie weren't aware of the course conditions, which it would seem would warrant a mention. Just because they thought it looked good in the air doesn't mean it was good, I've heard announcers laud shots in the air, only to watch them fall into the drink or into the gallery. It's just funny to me that nothing that went wrong for Tiger was his fault, they had an excuse for everything.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:10 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:Art, yes, it's always like that when you watch a Tiger tournament. Even when he's four strokes off the lead, he gets a lot of air. When he's winning, he probably gets about 70-80% of the air.

I'm not even talking about the amount of air-time he gets--of course they're going to show every shot he takes--I'm talking about the commentary. It was as if he was the home team and you were watching a local broadcast. The one that sticks out the most was when he sailed the green on 17 (I think) and they made excuse after excuse and basically said everything but "bad shot" or "wrong club." They literally placed more blame for that on the green than on Tiger.

I think part of the problem is because Tiger rarely makes any mistakes especially in pressure situations and big tourneys. We've been so spoiled the last 15 years as he made unbelievable shot after shot that if he does make mistakes then we blame it on everything else but him.

But yeah, the announcers tend to be front runners and no one thought that Tiger would lose this tourney let alone an unknown player out of nowhere run away with it.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:I don't generally watch a lot of golf, but I watched the last few holes yesterday...are announcers normally in the tank for Tiger that much, or was it just because the other guy was unknown? I would be embarassed listening back to that if I were responsible for the broadcast. Also, how come nobody will use the "c" word with Tiger? It seems everyone is making excuses, but if you come into Sunday with a lead, shoot +3 including bogeys on the last two holes, uhh...yeah, that's choke.

Tiger didn't choke. The 2 bogeys at the end came as a result of him going for it on incredibly difficult holes (because he was behind after the Yang eagle). But I agree that announcers do tend to make excuses for him a lot.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mweir145 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:47 pm

knapplc wrote:The green was hard, releasing the ball, and it didn't get the spin it should have. Probably the wind dried out the green more than Tiger thought (mweir, help here if you can). But it was the perfect shot at the perfect time, and should have pulled him even with Yang. Instead, a completely unexpected result happened, and that hole as much as any other cost Tiger the tournament.

The PGA put that pin on a tier of the green that was almost impossible for anybody to reach and stick. I think I heard them say there were only 2 birdies on that hole the entire day. Basically, Tiger was attempting an incredibly difficult shot, and it was one that he wouldn't have even tried had he been tied for the lead or better. For what it's worth, I do think he hit the shot exactly the way he wanted, though. The pin placement was just too tough.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:06 pm

Here are some of my thoughts:
1. Tiger played way too conservatively in the beginning. I guess he is
2. Yang made a few bad shots but was fortunate enough to escape from almost every one.
3. Both missed some easy putts but Tiger missed a couple more. Had he made those, Yang still would have won.
4. The chip shot in by Yang for the eagle was the killer. Tiger started to push and didn't make the difficult shots that he was left with.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to General Talk