Better prospect: Reddick or C. Johnson? Will help U2 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Better prospect: Reddick or C. Johnson? Will help U2

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Better prospect: Reddick or C. Johnson? Will help U2

Postby jnormy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:46 pm

Josh Reddick of Boston or Cody Johnson of Atlanta -- who has more upside and why?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1296
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better prospect: Reddick or C. Johnson? Will help U2

Postby mblax10 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Better prospect and more upset are 2 different questions.

Better prospect in strictly baseball terms, Reddick and it's not even close. Arguably the best OF arm in the minors with good speed. Should be an everyday OF for many years. Great hitting approach. Can be a high avg guy who will walk, hit for a little power and may develop more.

Johnson is strictly a HR/K guy. Because of his raw power, he has a higher upside, but he's very far from realizing that potential. There's a very strong chance he flame outs considering his ridiculous K rates at low levels.

So the question is how deep is your farm team and how much to you like to gambooolll? To greatly overysimplify (I also hate comparisons), which would you rather have:

Reddick: 75% chance he's a Shane Victorino type with a better arm, 25% chance he's a slightly better Corey Patterson type

Johnson: 5% chance he's Ryan Howard, 15% chance Jeff Francouer but terrible defensively and probably a 1B, 80% chance he never makes it above AA.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 422
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 20 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better prospect: Reddick or C. Johnson? Will help U2

Postby jnormy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:19 pm

mblax10 wrote:Better prospect in strictly baseball terms, Reddick and it's not even close. Arguably the best OF arm in the minors with good speed. Should be an everyday OF for many years. Great hitting approach. Can be a high avg guy who will walk, hit for a little power and may develop more.


Thanks for the great info! Any chance Reddick is part of the Bosox OF next year, or is that more likely to happen after Drew's contract runs out? (I'm assuming they'll re-sign Bay.)
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1296
(Past Year: 15)
Joined: 16 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Better prospect: Reddick or C. Johnson? Will help U2

Postby mblax10 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 pm

I've heard people go both ways on Reddick next year. Bay is a FA, but an OF of Drew, Jacoby & Reddick gives the Red Sox 3 lefties without a lot of power. Starting RF, #4 OF or AAA are all realistic options next year.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 422
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 20 Jul 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 16
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Atlanta
(12:35 pm)
NY Yankees at NY Yankees
(12:35 pm)
Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Detroit at Detroit
(1:10 pm)
Cleveland at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:05 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Texas
(7:05 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(7:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(7:10 pm)
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:05 pm)
LA Angels at LA Angels
(8:10 pm)
Oakland at Oakland
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
Colorado at Colorado
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(10:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact